The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

Scroll to see replies

Stripes on ties have to be no less than 6 stripes (or was it 8?)
Top button must be done at all times
No coloured hair bands other than black or navy
Jackets only black or navy

Basically anything to do with uniform was ridiculous.
We had to use a handwriting pen in primary school. No biros. Apart from that kid who was left handed and would smudge his work.
I always thought the no nail varnish rule at mine was pretty annoying (not that I ever paid any attention to it).
Original post by SophieSmall
My school had a no mobile phones allowed on the school premises rule. Whilst I completely agree with schools being able to say no mobiles during class ect and being able to confiscate them for the duration of the lesson or even the day, I found the no mobiles on school premises a bit too far. It meant if you were found to have a mobile anywhere in school at any point of the school day (even say at lunch time in the lunch hall, or in the corridor leaving school for the end of the day). They could confiscate your phone. A second add on to the rule (which was my main problem with it) was that is a phone was confiscated it was taken to the school office and HAD to be collected by a parent and they made no exceptions with this rule.

I once had my phone confiscated from me at lunch time in the hallway, I was told to get a parent to come and collect it. I told her my mum is disabled and cannot get to the school to pick it up, she said to get my father to pick it up I said I didn't have one. She didn't care she said get your mum to come in, so there is my mum disabled to **** having to pay money for a taxi to come in and collect a phone that was taken off me despite me not being of any disruption with it.

Now you may say "oh don't take your phone to school". Due to my mums disability and possibly needing to contact me at any time and also because I had to walk a long distance home often times in the dark my mum would not allow me to leave the house without my mobile for safety reasons. There were many other students with similar reasoning for needing to have mobile phones on their person, such as students needing to travel home via a couple of buses or a bus then train who may have needed to contact parents in the event of a train delay or cancellation stuff like that.

I don't understand schools that completely ban mobile phones from being on school grounds at all. Pupils often need a mobile phone in case they have to contact parents, I had a basic one for that reason. The school must be run by monkeys if they think banning mobile phones from being in the school grounds at all is a good idea. It sounds like your school was being very irresponsible.

Who needs basic common sense when you have "zero tolerance" policies instead?
Reply 24
No study leave. Say what you want but that's the dumbest s**t ive ever heard in my life. And they claim to know what's best for me -__-
Reply 25
Original post by SophieSmall
That's just discrimination of religion :/

Oh, yeah. We know.
I'm not at school anymore but when I was it was probably the three foot rule (boys and girls won't allowed within three foot of eachother) which was enforced simultaneously with boy-girl-boy-girl seating plans...
We had this, too. We were wearing shorts playing rugby and I always remember playing it with snow on the ground & being tackled in the snow and being so cold I quite literally couldn't feel my legs enough to run. It was horrible, and I'm not entirely convinced it was safe..! We should have been able to wear jogging bottoms.
Not 'stupid' as in inconvenient, but the Head Boy is allowed to keep a goat on one of the school's lawns.
At my old school we weren't allowed toe nail varnish (could be seen when we got changed for games!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
At my old school, anything to do with uniform/religion was ridiculous. They made us wear clip on ties so no one would undo the top button, skirts had to be at the knee, 'proper' shoes, only one pair of earrings, no jewellery, no dyed hair.

We also got forced to pray, even if you were atheist/ not a Christian.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One way system in the main corridors (school was basically 2 squares around 2 quads) which was annoying. Didn't stop people from going contra flow though lol, apart from when the militant teachers were seen walking he right way
In primary school, we had to say the morning prayer and had to go to the church onsite every couple of weeks.
We also HAD to sing religious songs even if you claimed you weren't Christian

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the spring and summer we had a different uniform and girls in years 7-10 HAD to wear white ankle socks. Even if it was cold. Year 11 could wear flesh tights!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by abbiemac
Not allowed to dye your hair :l

Same here. Apparently it causes unnecessary attention......
In primary school, the head teacher did times tables tests and if you passed, you won a calculator. It made absolutely no sense to me, surely the people who weren't good at times tables needed the calculators more? :confused:
We weren't allowed to take our school jumpers off during lessons without asking the permission of the teacher! :facepalm:
-No hair dye
-Coats had to be black
-Not allowed to wear coats in lessons, even if you were in a small outer block room with no heating
-No mobile phones on the premises at all
-had to say a prayer in assembly, even if you weren't religious/different religion
-not allowed scarves

In primary school:
-not allowed to write without joining the letters (must be proper hand writing)
-not allowed to throw any sandwich crusts away, if you did there would be a massive investigation and the whole school went on lockdown (no joke.)
(edited 9 years ago)
I had spiked hair in primary, wasn't allowed to gel it up, teacher forced me to wet it, I was a flathead all my primary life! -.-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending