The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

MSc in Global Finance

Good evening everyone,

I started a 6-month internship in July and because I don't want to waste a whole year waiting for a programme that starts in September, I started applying to universities that offer programmes which start at the beginning of 2015.

I have received a conditional offer from Durham University for an MSc in Global Finance, however the problem is that the latter is taught in part-time and lasts 2.5 years. Though, I am an EU citizen, for some reasons, I am subject to the international fees. I was wondering thus if this programme would be the right choice.

I received offers other universities including Robert Gordon University (advantage : highest employment rate in the UK and Master in one year only) and Nottingham Trent University (FT in 1 year too).

My questions are the following :

1) I don't know much about the UK employment market, so I was wondering whether employers from prestigious companies look only for graduates from the best business schools ? Do you think such degree would offer a "prestigious" job in an investment bank for instance ?

2) Knowing that the programme is taught in PT ? Is it still a good investment ? Is it possible to find a job in the financial field in parallel ?

3 Is there a significant difference between undergrad students and postgrad students in terms of employment opportunities ?

4)What do you think of the other universities ? If you were to choose, what would you recommend ?

Thank you very much, I would greatly appreciate your advice :smile:
Hiya! I can't answer all your questions, sorry, but yes, you stand a better chance at a good job with a Master's degree compared to an undergraduate degree. Whether or not a degree is taught part-time doesn't really affect that. And, some employers may place some importance on which business school someone graduated from, whilst others don't.

Also, how long have you been in the UK for? Usually, if you've lived here for three years, you shouldn't have to pay international fees.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you very much Kittiara for your reponse.

I lived in Belgium for 4 years but it was for educational purposes so it doesn't count (I wasn't living in the UK prior to that).

As for this Msc, it is apparently the first year that it is implemented and it's called the Global Msc in Finance. I have been told by the university that most of students who applied for this course do already have a full-time but I wonder if it possible to find a job in the financial sector in a small city such as Durham...?

Also, I'm hesitating between Durham and Skema Business School (In France), the latter is ranked below Durham in the FT but offers however higher salaries after graduation and lasts only 1 year (instead of 2.5 years)...

Quick Reply

Latest