The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frostyjoe
What are peoples parents like when driving? Father went out with me yesterday and shouted a tad making a massive issue over me reving as if I crashed the car, on another occasion he actually started a whole row and nearly made me crash over stalling, in the end I stalled 4 times and cars had to drive around me because we were stopped. It was so embaressing.

He really does not help my driving. I have learn't and will not be going out with him.

This is how my parents were at first, my dad shouted and stressed me out so much that I lost all confidence and never been out with him since. With my mum though after a month or so she became more comfortable, I still get the odd comment on my speed and my gear changes ect. I think you've just got to remember that it's strange for them too!
Original post by Kirst_26
Failed my driving test yesterday with only one major. I got this for going 35ish on a 30 road which I presumed was a 40! As soon as he said slow down, I knew I had failed. I now sadly have to wait until next January for a test :frown: but can't afford lessons in the mean time. Has anyone had a break and gone back into a test? And how did you find it?

I had a break of nearly 2 months. After my first lesson back my test was 3 weeks away and I passed it first time with only 4 minors so the break can help.
Original post by Mmmmmmbgh
I had a break of nearly 2 months. After my first lesson back my test was 3 weeks away and I passed it first time with only 4 minors so the break can help.

Oh right that's reassuring. Did you drive in your own/parents car during the break? I regularly do but slightly worried about picking up some bad habits
Original post by Frostyjoe
Yeah. Just drove around 15 miles tonight and my mother kept shouting at me and made me pull over because she couldn't cope.

Sister kept running down my driving saying I was crap etc. Its so hard to have confidence.

This is horrible and really unfair. Even after passing they still do this.
They must be scared
Original post by Kirst_26
Oh right that's reassuring. Did you drive in your own/parents car during the break? I regularly do but slightly worried about picking up some bad habits

Not too much in my own car. About an hour a week for a month. Had a car first of all which had expensive repairs to do with the fuel units so I had to get another car so I still didn't drive for a month. It does take a little bit to get used to driving again. I was near test ready before my break though.
Original post by Emilyeagleowl
If you slow down and don't check your mirrors I think other drivers may not see that your slowing down? That's what my driving teacher said once.

I'm pretty sure that they would see you're slowing down regardless of if you look in a mirror or not.
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
I'm pretty sure that they would see you're slowing down regardless of if you look in a mirror or not.

i didnt look in a mirror before I slowed down and a load of cars slammed on their breaks... And I failed so... I'm not sure what my teacher meant I was still in shock
Original post by Emilyeagleowl
i didnt look in a mirror before I slowed down and a load of cars slammed on their breaks... And I failed so... I'm not sure what my teacher meant I was still in shock

You've got to see how it would affect others behind you so if there was an upcoming roundabout you would look in your mirrors and think there is a car right up my ass so I will have to take more time to brake and so that they don't slam on their brakes. Your braking also shouldn't be a last minute thing you need to do it in plenty of time.
I did a really good drive but i got 1 major for driving too slow
Original post by mo78612
I did a really good drive but i got 1 major for driving too slow

Really? How slow were you going and what limit was it? Were the cars behind you?
Original post by Suldok
Really? How slow were you going and what limit was it? Were the cars behind you?

I was doing 28 in a 40 zone there were cars behind me and they were trying to overtake but there were cars in front of me so how could i have gone faster i dont even know ,, the examiner herself said that ohh unsually thers quite a lot of traffic today,,

to be honest i believe that i was failed unfairly and its all due to the pathetic quota that examiners follw
I wasn't to nervous when I actually done the reverse round the corner so easily. The rest of the driving test was fine. Come up to the Last round about, go through that then take a left and park(test centre) and pass!... right?

No.

I come up to the round about, van on my right, he takes off and then I take off, he stops and goes back? I panic keep going, car comes flying out of tesco towards me, test instructor hit the breaks, BAM. Fail.

He said I had a perfect drive, infact "The best in about a month" and "I'm so sorry mate, I really wish I could pass you but, I'll see you next time and give you your pass certificate if you do the same apart from the round about".

I'm not too down about it, I'm a bit pissed off. That car was going very very fast out of tesco, didn't even give way to his right, however I accept that I should of peeked again before continuing on the round about. My bad for observations.(He came from the right so technically I give way to him, but he wasn't there when I took off till like literally when I put some gas down, moved a little bit over the white line and BAM)

0 Minors, 1 Major.
(edited 9 years ago)
I failed for the second time last week, am gutted as it was my last chance to take the test with my instructor as he is quitting next week.

My first test I was so nervous and made silly mistakes. The second test I wasn't as nervous, and drove really well. I failed because at a give way I was going right, so obviously I checked both ways and carried on. Then the instructor put the brakes on and insisted I didn't look left. I did, and it was clear. Surely he was in the wrong for stopping me in the middle of my turn? Anyway I knew I'd failed after that, and only got a few minors. Sigh.

Anyway could do with a bit of advice. I am desperate to pass; I have been learning for a year and have a car waiting for me that I'm paying for and not driving. Like I said my instructor is leaving, and I just need someone to take me through the test. Is it worth looking into doing it in my nan's car as she has the same as the one I have been learning in? Will it cost a ridiculous amount on the insurance?
Original post by mo78612
I was doing 28 in a 40 zone there were cars behind me and they were trying to overtake but there were cars in front of me so how could i have gone faster i dont even know ,, the examiner herself said that ohh unsually thers quite a lot of traffic today,,

to be honest i believe that i was failed unfairly and its all due to the pathetic quota that examiners follw

There's no quota. You're just bitter.
I find it both hilarious and incredibly annoying when people say that failed because of a quota.
Original post by GROGERS
I failed for the second time last week, am gutted as it was my last chance to take the test with my instructor as he is quitting next week.

My first test I was so nervous and made silly mistakes. The second test I wasn't as nervous, and drove really well. I failed because at a give way I was going right, so obviously I checked both ways and carried on. Then the instructor put the brakes on and insisted I didn't look left. I did, and it was clear. Surely he was in the wrong for stopping me in the middle of my turn? Anyway I knew I'd failed after that, and only got a few minors. Sigh.

Anyway could do with a bit of advice. I am desperate to pass; I have been learning for a year and have a car waiting for me that I'm paying for and not driving. Like I said my instructor is leaving, and I just need someone to take me through the test. Is it worth looking into doing it in my nan's car as she has the same as the one I have been learning in? Will it cost a ridiculous amount on the insurance?

i don't have any advice for you but I want to say good luck for next time :smile:
The only thing I can say is make your observations really obvious and physically turn your head to look left and right
Original post by mo78612

There's 100% no quota.

Sorry but you need to deal with the fact you failed. Driving 28 in a 40 can be dangerous since others will be trying to overtake you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adamg12380
I wasn't to nervous when I actually done the reverse round the corner so easily. The rest of the driving test was fine. Come up to the Last round about, go through that then take a left and park(test centre) and pass!... right?

No.

I come up to the round about, van on my right, he takes off and then I take off, he stops and goes back? I panic keep going, car comes flying out of tesco towards me, test instructor hit the breaks, BAM. Fail.

He said I had a perfect drive, infact "The best in about a month" and "I'm so sorry mate, I really wish I could pass you but, I'll see you next time and give you your pass certificate if you do the same apart from the round about".

I'm not too down about it, I'm a bit pissed off. That car was going very very fast out of tesco, didn't even give way to his right, however I accept that I should of peeked again before continuing on the round about. My bad for observations.(He came from the right so technically I give way to him, but he wasn't there when I took off till like literally when I put some gas down, moved a little bit over the white line and BAM)

0 Minors, 1 Major.

If the van stopped then that was your sign to stop.

Sounds like you had a good drive otherwise but that mishap could have been an accident if the examiner was not there to hit the brakes...

You'll get it next time. Just take extra care at roundabouts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well what I assume is a pretty standard fail on my first test this afternoon. Stalled and rolled back in the first minute of the test but was told to take a deep breath. Minor. Everything was going fine and then hit the curb on the parallel park:/ annoying cause it'd of been fine without that...

Latest

Trending

Trending