The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oliviaadams
So, I'm an English student and from a working-class background. Is it just me, or does Edinburgh seem REALLY posh? When I was on the open day, the people I was speaking to were all from Eton, Harrow, Rugby... and schools like that. I didn't talk to one single person from a state school (and I spoke to a lot of people) and, rather disappointingly, there was pretty much none Scottish people, it was dominated by either internationals or English people. I just got a vibe of Edinburgh being really posh and not for me, but what do you think? I got offers from UCL, Durham, Bristol and Newcastle as well as Edinburgh now from English Lit and I've been to all their open days; none of these universities seemed to have the same uber middle-class, home-county type vibe as Edinburgh. Having said this, I love the city and the course is amazing - my favourite option. I'm thinking Edinburgh is my top choice, but the posh thing is putting me off a tad. Opinions? I got 13 A*s at GCSE, 4 As at AS and predicted A*A*A*a for A level. Thanks for any advice. :biggrin:

congrats on your offers! Well im from Scotland, in the middle of nowhere actually, was educated in a state school where there were only 100 pupils due to the pitiful amount of children where i live, and am going to Edinburgh in September. It just dependd who you see on the day, a lot of the people i spoke to on my open day were state schooled and from all over the place, Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, Sheffield. It was a right mix. Sometimes it depends on your course as well. But don't choose a university because of the people you met on the open day as thats only the tip of the iceberg and an unfair representation of people who study there. Also posh people aren't always as snobby and stuck up as they're renowned to be. Old saying comes to mind don't judge a book by its cover or cut off your nose to spite your face. If you love Edinburgh, the course and the place, go for it. Anyway internationals are really interesting also
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Original post by Asklepios
LOL Big Cheese.

And, no - I don't disagree. Was just sayin'

Hey, don't knock Big Cheese! I've not had a bad night out there yet.

and re: the whole posh thing, Edinburgh seems to have more private school students than I expected, but on the whole I haven't come across anyone who was too 'rah'. Most people are nice, no matter their background. I've made friends with an Etonian and a Rugbyite (or whatever the noun fro someone from Rugby is), and apart from occasionally being a bit unaware of their privilege, they're solid guys.
For the record, although I am from the South East of England, I'd self identify as lower-middle class, and have been to state schools my whole life
Original post by luetch42

and re: the whole posh thing, Edinburgh seems to have more private school students than I expected, but on the whole I haven't come across anyone who was too 'rah'. Most people are nice, no matter their background. I've made friends with an Etonian and a Rugbyite (or whatever the noun fro someone from Rugby is), and apart from occasionally being a bit unaware of their privilege, they're solid guys.
For the record, although I am from the South East of England, I'd self identify as lower-middle class, and have been to state schools my whole life

Nah mate, not knocking it. Big Cheese is defo the best night of the week :cool:

And agree with you on the posh thing - like I know people from Eton, Harrow, Rugby etc and you honestly couldn't tell on first impression!
apart from occasionally being a bit unaware of their privilege, they're solid guys.

This tends to be the biggest issue - easily overcome with most people.
Reply 24
I agree with what people are saying on here about the unawareness of privilege - whatever you are used to in life becomes normal to you. So if you are used to living in a small town and maybe not being able to afford things, that is what you are used to. If you are used to going to a very prestigious school and having more money than you could ever spend then that is what you are used to. University is a good place for people because I think it should mellow a lot of people out and show them that really you aren't just your background, you are a lot more!
My suspicion is that most of the "posh" people end up in Pollock, as the only people I can think of whom I would characterise in such a way seemed to be from there.

Of course that's only my experience, but elsewise I've come across extremely few people I would call "posh".
I don't see the problem of going to a uni full of Public School students. People are people. Some are nice, some are not. Some of them will stick with other "Old Boys" and some will mix with everyone. In a uni of 30,000 people a few "rahs" won't make much of a difference anyway.
Reply 28
Original post by oliviaadams
So, I'm an English student and from a working-class background. Is it just me, or does Edinburgh seem REALLY posh? When I was on the open day, the people I was speaking to were all from Eton, Harrow, Rugby... and schools like that. I didn't talk to one single person from a state school (and I spoke to a lot of people) and, rather disappointingly, there was pretty much none Scottish people, it was dominated by either internationals or English people. I just got a vibe of Edinburgh being really posh and not for me, but what do you think? I got offers from UCL, Durham, Bristol and Newcastle as well as Edinburgh now from English Lit and I've been to all their open days; none of these universities seemed to have the same uber middle-class, home-county type vibe as Edinburgh. Having said this, I love the city and the course is amazing - my favourite option. I'm thinking Edinburgh is my top choice, but the posh thing is putting me off a tad. Opinions? I got 13 A*s at GCSE, 4 As at AS and predicted A*A*A*a for A level. Thanks for any advice. :biggrin:

As someone who has lived in Edinburgh for the past 5 years and am now going on to study at Edinburgh University I think I can safely say it's a good choice. Compared to the other universities in Scotland, reputation wise I would say Edinburgh is a fair way above the others.
I used to live in England so I can understand what you mean when you say Edinburgh seems 'posh' and to be truthful there is a certain snobbery about Edinburgh but it's not overpowering. I remember reading that 1 in 4 students in Edinburgh attend a private school. I have many friends who are at Edinburgh university and all of them have said that it is not an issue at university whether you have come from a private school or not, so I wouldn't worry too much!
Whichever university you go to you'll meet people you do like and people you don't like- the beauty of university is that you can choice who you wish to be friends with!
One simply would not comment on such states of affair :holmes:
Who gives a stuff if there are 'posh' (whatever that means) folk at Edinburgh University. It's what you want from a course and university that matters. Going to university includes biulding up your own self confidence to the point where someone goes on holiday and how they speak and where they went to school doesn't matter. I'm working class,born and bred in Edinburgh and I'm going to Edinburgh Uni. I'm going as a mature student, so with the perspective age gives me I can see and tell you, your concerns are minor. People are people. Also if you're put off by 'posh' people you are going to limit yourself in choice of university. It's your education, you're paying for it so best to choose wisely. Bet of luck.
Reply 31
Original post by wannabeaca
I doubt they were 'all' from those highly selective public school. Edinburgh isn't that prestigious...

Edinburgh is very prestigious. It's got a world class reputation for scientific research and sits at 17th in the world generally, the 5th of 6 UK unis in the worlds top 20...
Hullo folks. I was just having a nose and seen this thread. Like everywhere Edinburgh has good and bad. Dumbiedykes scheme in the center of town beside the parliament is a dump. Then you have the outlying schemes. Moredun, the inch, gracemount, oxgangs, wester hailes, sighthill, broomhouse, clermiston, drylaw, pilton, muirhouse, granton, the banana flats, lochend, piershill, niddrie, craigmiller being some of them.
Lots of good folk there but lots of social problems as well.

Piltoners are known as piltonstanis, leithers never say they are from edinburgh. Niddrie folk are nidrons. Im from moredun and if you are talking about someone from the inch we always say 'ah he's an inch c**t'

But if you want real schemie edinburgh accents look up garry frasers films. They are only 10 mins or so long. Filmed in muirhouse with local schemies. I think his film tolerance about the amount of youngsters who od after coming out the jail is his best.
Music wise edinburgh has a small hip hop thing.
Computer mv4 by jordan butler about scheme walking.
Kicking through the needles.
Madhat mcgore simple things
Edinburgh kreeps

And fight clean by a geezer called mog ( he is a weegie though)

Support the hibees as well folks.

Edinburgh is a barry place to come and live in though.
Be lucky

Rugbeian :wink:
Original post by saskiabw
Some parents, mine included, pay for fees they can barely afford to get what they see to be the best education for their children and so stereotyping someone is 'posh' due to their schooling is not always accurate.

Yes, gosh, how terrible your life must be :wink:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Yes, gosh, how terrible your life must be :wink:

I never said my life was terrible...
All im saying is dont judge people purely because of their background :redface:
If you're going to university and classing areas/people as 'posh' you're going to have a bad time. You'll get a real mixture of people at Edinburgh (just like any other uni really) but people aren't going to bar you from certain societies or groups because your daddy doesn't play golf with the Prime Minister.

Enjoy the mixture of people at university. People are people, regardless of their parents wealth or what school they attended.
Edinburgh is as "posh" as you want it to be. I can tell you that most of the people I'm friends with from UoE are not "posh".
You'd see if you sat in the library for a day how diverse the University actually is.
The university is a community of 30,000 people! They come from all different backgrounds and it's impossible to label them with one brush.
Reply 38
If you have any problem with having people from other countries as your classmates you better not come to Edinburgh. Having a very diverse bunch it is a crucial part of the univerity's identity and most of us are very proud of that.
Original post by Roy_9
If you have any problem with having people from other countries as your classmates you better not come to Edinburgh. Having a very diverse bunch it is a crucial part of the univerity's identity and most of us are very proud of that.

Dude this thread was from 2014... :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending