The Student Room Group

GCSE help from a current Year 12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth_p
if anyone needs any tips or advice or questions about gcse's or choosing as levels or whatever feel free to ask! Feels like a lifetime ago but i'll try and answer as best i can! :smile:
GCSE's i took:
Maths
Science
Additional science
Further Additional science
Humanities
Geography
History
English Lit
English Lang
Ethics
Philosophy
Physical education
Italian
DT Food
Child DEvelopment

AS's that I've taken: Geography, History, Chemistry, Biology

HEY!!! :smile:

Hows History like at A level?
What board do you study for A level History?
What board did you study for GCSE History?
Any tips for History GCSE?
English literature: how do you memorize quotes/what sort of things should i revise like characters, plots, historical context? etc :eek:
Reply 22
Original post by YounesB
How many hours a day did you revise (excluding homework) at this point of time
How many hours a week?

How did revision hours increase as you got nearer the time of exams?

Revision definantly stepped up a notch nearer the time- more time on weekends instead of going out so on, i did sacrifice some social opportunities which at the time felt so rubbish but the results paid off which was a great feeling.

At this point i was probably starting to go to revision sessions after school for about an hour then going home (getting back around 4:30) then revising till like 9/9:30- it really depended on how much i felt like doing/ how stressed about a subject or if i had loads of hw or whatever.
Reply 23
Original post by hanamieb
English literature: how do you memorize quotes/what sort of things should i revise like characters, plots, historical context? etc :eek:

What books are you studying?
Luckily for our exam board (OCR) we didn't have to memorise quotes as it was open book, but if any quotes stuck out and i knew i couldn't be bothered to look for them in the exam then i would make a note of them on a sheet and create like a 'glossary' of quotes.
For english lit i made big mind maps on the characters, context, events, quotes, analysis of quotes to practice, language, setting all of key themes.
:smile:
Original post by Beth_p
What books are you studying?
Luckily for our exam board (OCR) we didn't have to memorise quotes as it was open book, but if any quotes stuck out and i knew i couldn't be bothered to look for them in the exam then i would make a note of them on a sheet and create like a 'glossary' of quotes.
For english lit i made big mind maps on the characters, context, events, quotes, analysis of quotes to practice, language, setting all of key themes.
:smile:

I'm doing of mice and men and an inspector calls, but AQA exam board so we have to memorize most of the stuff :argh:
Reply 25
I would highly recommend the site MEMRISE!! It is fab for memrising quotes and key words it will defenitley help you out!!
It is highly beneficial if you are studying a science, language or hist/geo
https://www.google.co.uk/url?http://www.memrise.com/
Reply 26
Original post by zebby1999
HEY!!! :smile:

Hows History like at A level?
What board do you study for A level History?
What board did you study for GCSE History?
Any tips for History GCSE?

hiya:smile::biggrin:
I'm quite enjoying history at a level, my subjects are quite diverse: Doing the tudors and then the vietnam war!
They are very heavy and quite a lot to remember including lots of Henry's and richards!! but it's very interesting!
For GCSE History i did OCR
For AS History we are on AQA

In terms of tips, i would go through each topic and make a timeline of the keydates as that really helps to remember them and it helps score extra credit as evidence!! :smile:
Reply 27
I'm doing of mice and men and an inspector calls, but AQA exam board so we have to memorize most of the stuff :argh:

ah cool we did those to, and we had to do poems :smile:
In that case i wouldn't go crazy with quotes as it will just overwhelm you and make it more intimidating to remember! choose quotes that you can apply to different questions to limit the amount you need to remember!!
I did enjoy the inspector calls section though!
Original post by Beth_p
hiya:smile::biggrin:
I'm quite enjoying history at a level, my subjects are quite diverse: Doing the tudors and then the vietnam war!
They are very heavy and quite a lot to remember including lots of Henry's and richards!! but it's very interesting!
For GCSE History i did OCR
For AS History we are on AQA

In terms of tips, i would go through each topic and make a timeline of the keydates as that really helps to remember them and it helps score extra credit as evidence!! :smile:

Cool :smile: I'm doing OCR as well for History. What topics did you study?
Original post by Beth_p
ah cool we did those to, and we had to do poems :smile:
In that case i wouldn't go crazy with quotes as it will just overwhelm you and make it more intimidating to remember! choose quotes that you can apply to different questions to limit the amount you need to remember!!
I did enjoy the inspector calls section though!

Thanks, that really helps actually :smile:
Well done on your AMAZING results btw :congrats:
Reply 30
Cool :smile: I'm doing OCR as well for History. What topics did you study?

I did Hitler/Nazi REgime/ League of Nations and then British Depth Studies wbu?
Reply 31
Thanks, that really helps actually :smile:
Well done on your AMAZING results btw :congrats:

No problem at all! Ask if you need anything else/other tips
And thank you! hope you get on well!:biggrin:
Original post by Beth_p
I did Hitler/Nazi REgime/ League of Nations and then British Depth Studies wbu?

ToV/LoN/America, Land of Freedom

British depth study
Reply 33
ToV/LoN/America, Land of Freedom

British depth study

ah nice, i did everything but Land of Freedom- the history learning site may be helpful if you haven't already checked that out- also bitesize on brief bits of info :smile:
Original post by Beth_p
ah nice, i did everything but Land of Freedom- the history learning site may be helpful if you haven't already checked that out- also bitesize on brief bits of info :smile:

cool, thanks I'll check the history learning site, never heard of it. What did you do for your controlled assessment topic?
Reply 35
cool, thanks I'll check the history learning site, never heard of it. What did you do for your controlled assessment topic?

We actually did it on the civil rights movement right back at the start of year 9 before we started the content of the course as I chose it as a 2 yr option :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Beth_p
We actually did it on the civil rights movement right back at the start of year 9 before we started the content of the course as I chose it as a 2 yr option :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay cool lol. The civil rights movement is part of American study so we had to do ours on America in the Roaring 20s. The year before us did it on Nazi Germany.
Reply 37
okay cool lol. The civil rights movement is part of American study so we had to do ours on America in the Roaring 20s. The year before us did it on Nazi Germany.

Ah nice, i found the civil rights movement quite a good piece as i did a humanities gcse that year to so it helped me with background info and context as well :smile:)
Original post by Beth_p
Ah nice, i found the civil rights movement quite a good piece as i did a humanities gcse that year to so it helped me with background info and context as well :smile:)

Did you find British Depth study harder? That's what all the history teachers are saying, that the BDS is the toughest part of the course.
Did you find British Depth study harder? That's what all the history teachers are saying, that the BDS is the toughest part of the course.

It's all about technique. I would say it is the toughest part of the course but it's perfectly manageable if you know how to answer the questions. History is the subject where I'd say exam technique is the most important.

Quick Reply

Latest