The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by qwertyking
I think that's wrong. It's up to his girlfriend whether she accepts him as he is or leaves. You shouldn't try to blackmail people like that.

Well if it was your girlfriend wouldn't you rather she at least told you the issue and gave you the choice between her or smoking weed?

Original post by alexs2602
I mentioned it somewhere else in the thread. It's certainly not evidence based. It's being decriminalised and legalised in increasingly more places in the last couple of years. Possession is legalised in Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska, decriminalised in 14 states, there's medical marijuana in 20 states, legal in Uruguay and the Netherlands, decriminalised in 24 other countries, tolerated in a few others. Colorado made $44 million in tax revenue in one year. It's been a huge success and that has funded a lot of their schools and it cut crime too. Watch Culture High. A lot of it is to do with Nixon and how drug policy can be a vote loser so they maintain the status quo for power essentially.

End of the article;

Most of the article didn't lend an argument to prohibition but to provision of laws regarding legal ages and driving while under the influence

I don't think the USA should really be what you look to when you're considering what's okay in a liberal society; they still execute people and they're not very keen on abortion or gay marriage. You can use Colorado as a success story but like I said Holland is an example of another country that has started to look less fondly on the legalisation of marijuana.

But Nixon was in election campaigns in the 1960's, that's a very long time ago and society has moved forward a lot, homosexuality was barely legal in the UK and was still illegal in most of the USA.

I was simply posting that article to demonstrate the point that weed isn't this harmless drug that people make out, a lot of people seem to have the misguided opinion that weed has no negative effects

Original post by ChickenMadness
Works both ways.

How do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why exactly does she want you to stop? Is it affecting the relationship?

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but sounds like you may want to find yourself a more intelligent bird.
Original post by lustawny
Can you elaborate as to why that isn't the case then, since you're obviously such an expert?

Surely people that self-harm are going to enjoy doing it, if it (if only temporarily) helps them to escape whatever pain they're going through, whether that be through inflicting physical pain upon themselves, substance abuse, binge-eating or whatever else it could be.

They obviously reproach themselves later, because it's obviously a vicious circle that won't be fixed until they get help for whatever illness is causing it; however, during the time when they're engaging in self-harming, it's clear that they're actually on top of the world. Why else would they choose to do it?

I am literally dumbfounded by some of the things you said, but there we go.

I cant speak for others, but for.me, self harm is not enjoyable. At certain times.I like to use it as a tool.to help me cope with my surroundings but it is never and never will be enjoyable.

Its more like a moment of calm and tranquility in a world otherwise full of confusion, self doubt, anger and hatred. Its comforting and relaxing, not enjoyable.

[this is not an advert for self harm, I don't wish to encourage others to do it, just to enlighten the quoted person to my personal experience]
Original post by Anonymous
I am literally dumbfounded by some of the things you said, but there we go.

I cant speak for others, but for.me, self harm is not enjoyable. At certain times.I like to use it as a tool.to help me cope with my surroundings but it is never and never will be enjoyable.

Its more like a moment of calm and tranquility in a world otherwise full of confusion, self doubt, anger and hatred. Its comforting and relaxing, not enjoyable.

[this is not an advert for self harm, I don't wish to encourage others to do it, just to enlighten the quoted person to my personal experience]

What can I say, it's a complex issue. That's just the vibe I got from it, though.
Can you elaborate as to why that isn't the case then, since you're obviously such an expert?

Surely people that self-harm are going to enjoy doing it, if it (if only temporarily) helps them to escape whatever pain they're going through, whether that be through inflicting physical pain upon themselves, substance abuse, binge-eating or whatever else it could be.

They obviously reproach themselves later, because it's obviously a vicious circle that won't be fixed until they get help for whatever illness is causing it; however, during the time when they're engaging in self-harming, it's clear that they're actually on top of the world. Why else would they choose to do it?

Sorry but this is seriously ignorant. People usually self-harm out of depression; they don't get any enjoyment out of it however it distracts them from their mental pain by focusing on physical pain instead which is easier to deal with. Some people do it because they are so numb they just want to feel anything even if that is pain.

Can't compare it to smoking or drinking which people at least start doing because they enjoy it. The OP couldn't be considered dependent on it, clearly he is doing it because he finds it relaxing/enjoyable and not to escape.
Original post by Wade-

How do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you worded it as if only the girlfriend's point of view is important. Can spin the ultimatum around for the girl, choose between being a control freak and having a boyfriend.

Some people do it for attention/cry for help etc. Because no one will take them seriously. There are many reasons someone could self harm.

Never seen anyone punch a wall and damage their hand when they were angry? lol.

I find it hard to understand how someone could get to your conclusion rofl. "everyone self harms for fun"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 87
you worded it as if only the girlfriend's point of view is important. Can spin the ultimatum around for the girl, choose between being a control freak and having a boyfriend.

No I wondered how far people take the whole 'don't let other people tell you what to do' approach.

How far would he have to go before she's not a 'control freak'? What if he was stealing things and she said stop stealing or I'll break up with you, would you still call her a control freak?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
No I wondered how far people take the whole 'don't let other people tell you what to do' approach.

How far would he have to go before she's not a 'control freak'? What if he was stealing things and she said stop stealing or I'll break up with you, would you still call her a control freak?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah because stealing affects her. Right now this has no affect on her. It's like being told to stop playing video games in your spare time lol.
nah because stealing affects her. Right now this has no affect on her. It's like being told to stop playing video games in your spare time lol.

I'd say that's a pretty apt comparison. I knew a girl who's boyfriend would rather play video games than spend time with her. In that case then he could certainly do with curbing his usage but as long as his cannabis use doesn't affect his studies or his relationship then it's harming no one.
Reply 90
Your girlfriend's an idiot. Dump her.

How would she like it if you told her to stop drinking or you'd finish with her? It's none of anyone else's business whether you smoke weed or not. If you'd been together ages and you were smoking 20 fags a day then yes, fair enough her asking you to stop, she doesn't want her potential husband/father of her children dying an early death etc blah blah... But one or two spliffs a week? She needs to get real.
Make her some hash brownies but just tell her they're normal brownies. :lol:
If gay marriage was illegal would you support that?

There's quite a difference in supporting gay marriage and supporting weed.
Original post by crozibear96
There's quite a difference in supporting gay marriage and supporting weed.

You missed the point. The government isn't always right.
2015 and people still have this naive Daily Mail style opinion of weed.

SMH. It's one of the least harmful intoxicants there is. When are we going to learn?
Original post by frankieboy
2015 and people still have this naive Daily Mail style opinion of weed.

SMH. It's one of the least harmful intoxicants there is. When are we going to learn?

If you read the comments that Daily Mail readers leave they're actually for the legalisation of cannabis.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically here's the situation. My girlfriend is dead against all forms of drugs and finally told me today for the first time after a month of going out she can't stand the fact that I smoke it and pretty much demanded and tried to persuade me with numerous forms of emotional blackmail to stop doing it...

Please keep in mind I smoke a joint or 2 week on average so I'm far from a junkie. I'm in my 2nd year of studies at uni and I have a job. She found out I smoke only because she saw a bong in my room, not because I smoke around her.

What I said back to her was that I'll never smoke in front of her and I'll even smoke less (which would be barely anything as it is) but she's said "why can't you just not do drugs". To which I said it helps with stress and helps me to unwind on weekends. But pretty much every time I tried to reason with her I get the same response. She then said she's doing it for my own good and mentioned that her sister smokes it all day and she doesn't want me to get addicted to it and mess my life up like her sister.

She used to self harm a year ago and made the comparison of my smoking weed to her self harming and said if she was self harming she expect I'd try to stop her and then said this situation is the same. She even said she wasn't even sure that should go out with someone who drugs. I pointed out that I barely drink I don't smoke and I'm light weed smoker and that weed is barely harmful in small doses but she wouldn't except it she just said "It's still a drug" and refused to budge. We just ended up having a circular argument...

I can't stand how she's imposing herself in my life and indirectly threatening our relationship because I won't give it up. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do or say or am I in the wrong here?

I like her. I'm so tired of people saying weed is not 'really' a drug and that it's harmless. It's a drug. Yes, it's relaxing. Has a doctor prescribed it to you? Just because there are other drugs worse than weed doesn't make weed ok. "It's better than alcohol, so let's legalize it" I'm not saying I don't have my own problems, I'm addicted to sweets, which can be worse. But I'm trying to force myself in a healthier routine, and the point of my blabbering is, if your girl tries to do the same, then she's a nice person that cares about you. Also, she probably thinks you might have a future together, people don't help you when they know they won't stick around.
Original post by emanueladiana
I like her. I'm so tired of people saying weed is not 'really' a drug and that it's harmless. It's a drug. Yes, it's relaxing. Has a doctor prescribed it to you? Just because there are other drugs worse than weed doesn't make weed ok. "It's better than alcohol, so let's legalize it" I'm not saying I don't have my own problems, I'm addicted to sweets, which can be worse. But I'm trying to force myself in a healthier routine, and the point of my blabbering is, if your girl tries to do the same, then she's a nice person that cares about you. Also, she probably thinks you might have a future together, people don't help you when they know they won't stick around.

Alcohol's a drug, tobacco's a drug. There are number of pharmaceuticals also used recreationally. And cannabis can be bought for medicinal purposes in about 20 US states. I won't say cannabis isn't a drug. You've got a very contradictory response really. When you talk about people wanting it to be legalised you sound like you're against legalisation but you also talk about how it's not as bad as alcohol and tobacco which sounds like you think legalisation wouldn't be so bad. Completely harmless might not be accurate but it's certainly on the less harmful end of the scale so using it in moderation shouldn't be an issue. Fact is OP is using it in moderation and it's not affecting his life in any significant negative way so his gf is being unreasonable.
Original post by alexs2602
Alcohol's a drug, tobacco's a drug. There are number of pharmaceuticals also used recreationally. And cannabis can be bought for medicinal purposes in about 20 US states. I won't say cannabis isn't a drug. You've got a very contradictory response really. When you talk about people wanting it to be legalised you sound like you're against legalisation but you also talk about how it's not as bad as alcohol and tobacco which sounds like you think legalisation wouldn't be so bad. Completely harmless might not be accurate but it's certainly on the less harmful end of the scale so using it in moderation shouldn't be an issue. Fact is OP is using it in moderation and it's not affecting his life in any significant negative way so his gf is being unreasonable.

*I was ironic about the not as bad as alcohol part. I mean, obviously true, but it's not a valid argument for legalizing stuff. Because if it was, then why shouldn't we legalize everything that's less harmful than alcohol? And after we're done, let's randomly pick another stupid legal thing for a point of reference, and do it all again.

One small problem about your way of thinking. How does one know if they are using a drug in moderation? The answer would always be doomed, because of the subjectivity. That's the reason we live in a society with rules, and legal vs illegal stuff. Of course there should be something done about cigarettes/alcohol too. I did them all except for drugs, so I think I have a pretty valid opinion when saying: I really really thought I was drinking in moderation until I woke up and couldn't remember what happened the last 7 hours. My brain literally changed reality to fit me better.
Original post by emanueladiana
*I was ironic about the not as bad as alcohol part. I mean, obviously true, but it's not a valid argument for legalizing stuff. Because if it was, then why shouldn't we legalize everything that's less harmful than alcohol? And after we're done, let's randomly pick another stupid legal thing for a point of reference, and do it all again.

One small problem about your way of thinking. How does one know if they are using a drug in moderation? The answer would always be doomed, because of the subjectivity. That's the reason we live in a society with rules, and legal vs illegal stuff. Of course there should be something done about cigarettes/alcohol too. I did them all except for drugs, so I think I have a pretty valid opinion when saying: I really really thought I was drinking in moderation until I woke up and couldn't remember what happened the last 7 hours. My brain literally changed reality to fit me better.

In a sense, you're right because it's an arbitrary point of comparison. That being said there's also no reason why it should still be illegal otherwise. I think it's a complex debate but at the end of the day scientific evidence should have significant input and as it stands that's not the case. Many politicians take a "moral" or political point of view which isn't in line with public interest.

I thought I was clear, when it was having significant detrimental effect on your life that is not moderation. How do you know when you have an alcohol problem? He's smoking twice a week. There's a need for more comprehensive research which is made more difficult by the current laws which restrict research on illegal substances. And with that research we can provide accurate education, laws, regulation. The fact you didn't realise you weren't drinking in moderation until it was too late kind of invalidates the entire concept of a substance remaining illegal because "how do you know if you're using it in moderation".

Latest

Trending

Trending