The Student Room Group

Do men in the middle east respect women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meyrin
Oh? How do I give a bad name to "real feminists", sweetpea? And why do I have a feeling that to you "real feminist" equals "putting everything in a sweet and flowery way I can digest without having my ego wounded"?

Indeed, sexism is a bigger issue in developing countries, but that doesn't mean we don't need it here. Societal attitudes, wage gaps and sexual violence towards women are issues that are sadly still extremely relevant.

An article? Goodness, consider me floored in the face of such overwhelming evidence of blatant misandry.

Real feminists as in the ones fighting for real issues for females. Not owns who hate males (as you clearly do) and not ones who want all men to be imprisoned or something of the like

Wage gap has been debunked. Women earn more from ages 20-40. And the reason they earn less otherwise is due to taking time off for having kids and choosing professions which aren't as well paid. What do you want men to do? Take a year off when a woman takes maternity leave?

See you wouldn't even read it before laughing at it. Men are very, very objectified but nobody really says anything because, as now. They'd be laughed at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reallydontknow
Google misandry. You dish it out in tonnes.

Oh and victim complex, you have that in spades too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She's one of the most misandristic people on the site. Most feminists on this site are good people but she really goes to the extreme. No worries mate.
Original post by The Assassin
She's one of the most misandristic people on the site. Most feminists on this site are good people but she really goes to the extreme. No worries mate.

Ah is she. I had no idea. I'm just gonna stop now I can't be bothered with this **** at this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol you guys are funny. Both men and women have been discriminated against in society not just women. It's funny as well that a survey revealed more women would now rather raise families than work and that depression has increased recently with more women working.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reallydontknow
Real feminists as in the ones fighting for real issues for females. Not owns who hate males (as you clearly do) and not ones who want all men to be imprisoned or something of the like

Wage gap has been debunked. Women earn more from ages 20-40. And the reason they earn less otherwise is due to taking time off for having kids and choosing professions which aren't as well paid. What do you want men to do? Take a year off when a woman takes maternity leave?

See you wouldn't even read it before laughing at it. Men are very, very objectified but nobody really says anything because, as now. They'd be laughed at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what issues are they?

Debunked, you say?

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/documents/research/gender_pay_gap_briefing_paper2.pdf

Female employees working full-time in the UK in 2010 earned 84.5 per cent of
the average (mean) hourly earnings of men (excluding overtime) who worked full time.

Men working full-time continue to have higher average (mean) hourly, weekly and annual earnings than women. Across the United Kingdom, the mean full-time gender pay gap (the difference in percentage terms between the average earnings of women and men working full-time) in 2010 was 15.5 per cent for hourly earnings excluding overtime and 21.5 per cent for gross weekly earnings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21698522

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/19/gender-pay-gap-women-bosses-earn-35-percent-less-than-men

What is it that has been "debunked", exactly?

Go on, show me the article. I could use a laugh.
Original post by The Assassin

Do I know you?
Reply 106

Umm excuse, Miss Meyrin, but this thread is not for issues in the UK. Please use another thread for that. Thank you.
Original post by Arieisit
Umm excuse, Miss Meyrin, but this thread is not for issues in the UK. Please use another thread for that. Thank you.

Funny how you say this to me rather than all the other guys derailing the thread whining to me about the problems of men in the UK...
Original post by Meyrin
Funny how you say this to me rather than all the other guys derailing the thread whining to me about the problems of men in the UK...

I was a second away from posting exactly this but decided it was too late and I was going to bed. Still here though and glad you said it.
Reply 109
Original post by Meyrin

What, are you going to say that I am victimizing you because you're a woman? I only quoted you because you were the last to post about it...
Original post by Meyrin
If you're honestly trying to play off the subjugation of women for thousands of years with "but at some point a man has been beaten too!", you're being extremely facile.

Men have beaten beaten more though.
Reply 111
Original post by KingStannis
Men have beaten beaten more though.

By whom?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are so many points to be made on this. First of all, this "man" was incredibly rude. He is an extremist who does not reflect in any way or form the Lebanese culture. (I am Lebanese so I know). However, despite the fact that he is very rude, he wasn't being sexist. The translations are very inaccurate. He said "I am not honoured to be interviewed by you; you are a person (with a female suffix as Arabic language is gendered). I wonder why it had to be twisted that way (since there is no need; he would still be rude, just not sexist at that moment). This distorting of an already distorted behavior is questionable.

Rima Karaki actually interviewed this low life not more than 2 months ago, and he was equally as rude to her and all of her guests. He was also employing very divisive language and showing lots of hatred towards Christians and Muslims who disagree with him. He said Muslims must not be celebrating Christmas and attacked both a Muslim and a Christian cleric who disagreed with him. Didn't Rima expect similar behavior? Why did she interview him once again?

So the question is not whether men of the Middle East disrespect women (and many might), but why Al-Jadeed (the media outlet) is shedding so much light on those extremists, who do not represent the Lebanese people or their concerns or any of their attitudes. It is those media outlets themselves that help those extremists grow by shedding light on them. (and this has happened before and has led to much trouble). Is it that there are no moderate/secular voices out there who actually speak for us? Or that nobody is giving them an outlet but would rather give air time to low lives like this man?

To answer your question, you cannot generalize based on this one rude man. My circle of friends and the men in my life are very respectable people and I have never felt discriminated against or disrespected on the basis of my gender.

Original post by Okorange
I don't know a single man who would lay hands on their wives. I guess i just live in a different social circle, one with class.

I don't deny that some husbands beat their wives especially ones with alcohol problems though.

I think my point is, we have equality now. Its as equal as it will get, as there still are fundamental differences between men and women. Just like most miners will be men, most nurses will be women. That won't change and i don't feel there is need to force something on people they don't want.

I very much agree that there are fundamental differences between men and women, but I have noticed that whenever those differences are pointed out (like the differences in Broca's and Wernicke's areas between men and women; and other differences) the lecturers have to apologize and find ways to consolidate this with the fact that it's all about oppression and socialization, and I don't like the fact that many times, even language in medicine, a scientific field, has to be censored in order to appear politically correct or sanctioned by feminists.
Reply 113
Original post by Decorpi12
There are so many points to be made on this. First of all, this "man" was incredibly rude. He is an extremist who does not reflect in any way or form the Lebanese culture. (I am Lebanese so I know). However, despite the fact that he is very rude, he wasn't being sexist. The translations are very inaccurate. He said "I am not honoured to be interviewed by you; you are a person (with a female suffix as Arabic language is gendered). I wonder why it had to be twisted that way (since there is no need; he would still be rude, just not sexist at that moment). This distorting of an already distorted behavior is questionable.

Rima Karaki actually interviewed this low life not more than 2 months ago, and he was equally as rude to her and all of her guests. He was also employing very divisive language and showing lots of hatred towards Christians and Muslims who disagree with him. He said Muslims must not be celebrating Christmas and attacked both a Muslim and a Christian cleric who disagreed with him. Didn't Rima expect similar behavior? Why did she interview him once again?

So the question is not whether men of the Middle East disrespect women (and many might), but why Al-Jadeed (the media outlet) is shedding so much light on those extremists, who do not represent the Lebanese people or their concerns or any of their attitudes. It is those media outlets themselves that help those extremists grow by shedding light on them. (and this has happened before and has led to much trouble). Is it that there are no moderate/secular voices out there who actually speak for us? Or that nobody is giving them an outlet but would rather give air time to low lives like this man?

To answer your question, you cannot generalize based on this one rude man. My circle of friends and the men in my life are very respectable people and I have never felt discriminated against or disrespected on the basis of my gender.

I very much agree that there are fundamental differences between men and women, but I have noticed that whenever those differences are pointed out (like the differences in Broca's and Wernicke's areas between men and women; and other differences) the lecturers have to apologize and find ways to consolidate this with the fact that it's all about oppression and socialization, and I don't like the fact that many times, even language in medicine, a scientific field, has to be censored in order to appear politically correct or sanctioned by feminists.

Well, please explain to us why he felt her beneath him? Knowing Muslim doctrines and him being an extremist why else do you think he felt her to be beneath him? Please explain since we English speakers are trying to twist his words.

https://michelleghoussoub.wordpress.com/2014/11/25/the-tired-foreign-media-narrative-on-lebanon/#more-514

Narratives that over-romanticize Lebanon’s liberalism also glaze over many debilitating social issues that affect the country in countless ways: the lack of basic human rights for Lebanese women, troubling legacies of racism and homophobia

https://michelleghoussoub.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/fattouch-bassil-actions-reflect-a-deeper-misogyny/#more-502

While political gaffes may appear to exist in isolation, Fattouch and Bassil’s actions are reflective of a society with a deep and troubling political legacy of violence and misogyny.

While Lebanon’s laws governing marital abuse have been revised as recently as April 2014, a report released by Human Rights Watch has deemed that they are not enough. Before the introduction of a landmark bill in 2013, no legislation existed to protect Lebanese women from domestic violence, and rapists who married their victims were regularly exonerated.

Yes, I'll take your word for it that Lebabanon is in good standing with women and their treatment!
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, please explain to us why he felt her beneath him? Knowing Muslim doctrines and him being an extremist why else do you think he felt her to be beneath him? Please explain since we English speakers are trying to twist his words.

https://michelleghoussoub.wordpress.com/2014/11/25/the-tired-foreign-media-narrative-on-lebanon/#more-514

Narratives that over-romanticize Lebanon’s liberalism also glaze over many debilitating social issues that affect the country in countless ways: the lack of basic human rights for Lebanese women, troubling legacies of racism and homophobia

Yes, I'll take your word for it that Lebabanon is in good standing with women and their treatment!

I can assure you that he is a misogynist by the very virtue of his extremist interpretation of religion. Just not in that interview...he did not say "beneath him" either. I don't like sounding like I am defending such people; I feel they should be shut out completely.
However, to paint all Muslims with the same brush is unfair and counterproductive. The majority of them would spit on him (culture specific phrase with absolutely no literal connotations, that means "condemn harshly"), because it is because of people like him that people look down on them. Muslims do realize that the Quran has been used to oppress people. As a result, many of them condemn those people even more harshly than we do. Actually, we need to give moderate Islam a chance and quit lumping them with the extremists because you're not doing any of us a favor by expressing hatred towards Muslims in general based on this Sheikh. (I'm of a Christian background by the way).

Lebanon is far from an egalitarian country. It's a sectarian country, there's no equality whatsoever, whether based on class or gender or race or sexuality... But, there are many people (Muslims, Christians, atheists, secularists...) who want change and who are fighting for it. You can't keep labeling those people based on the words of some stupid Sheikh. Hence, the majority of people I know are very decent people who were the first to disapprove of him. My point was, why are the moderate voices who want change not given the same platform in the media like the extremist ones?

Besides, you are unaware of the political agendas of those media stations. Al-Jadeed usually sheds light on extremists for a reason, and trust me, it is not to achieve social and gender equality. (Media stations in Lebanon are very very far from being objective and usually work with political agendas). This is how an extremists (Ahmad Al-Assir) rose somehow a couple of years ago in Saida and led to many casualties among the Lebanese army. We do NOT have responsible and objective media outlets.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 115
I can assure you that he is a misogynist by the very virtue of his extremist interpretation of religion. Just not in that interview...he did not say "beneath him" either. I don't like sounding like I am defending such people; I feel they should be shut out completely.
However, to paint all Muslims in the same brush is unfair and counterproductive. The majority of them would spit on him, because it is because of people like him that people look down on them. Muslims do realize that the Quran has been used to oppress people. As a result, many of them condemn those people even more harshly than we do. Actually, we need to give moderate Islam a chance and quit lumping them with the extremists because you're not doing any of us a favor by expressing hatred towards Muslims in general based on this Sheikh. (I'm of a Christian background by the way).

Lebanon is far from an egalitarian country. It's a sectarian country, there's no equality whatsoever, whether based on class or gender or race or sexuality... But, there are many people (Muslims, Christians, atheists, secularists...) who want change and who are fighting for it. You can't keep labeling those people based on the words of some stupid Sheikh. Hence, the majority of people I know are very decent people who were the first to disapprove of him. My point was, why are the moderate voices who want change not given the same platform in the media like the extremist ones?

Besides, you are unaware of the political agendas of those media stations. Al-Jadeed usually sheds light on extremists for a reason, and trust me, it is not to achieve social and gender equality. (Media stations in Lebanon are very, very far from being objective and usually work with political agendas). This is how an extremist (Ahmad Al-Assir) rose somehow a couple of years ago in Saida and led to many casualties among the Lebanese army. We do NOT have responsible and objective media outlets.

This is the sort of problem I have with Muslim people in those countries in general. Who spits on PEOPLE THEY DISAGREE WITH? What on earth? It's these kinds of behavious that led Muslim societies to the way they were, sharia law for example. And the fact that you condone such behaviours you have no stand point in my view to argue anything in the case of Muslims
This is the sort of problem I have with Muslim people in those countries in general. Who spits on PEOPLE THEY DISAGREE WITH? What on earth? It's these kinds of behavious that led Muslim societies to the way they were, sharia law for example. And the fact that you condone such behaviours you have no stand point in my view to argue anything in the case of Muslims

Not literally!!! :rolleyes:
Seriously, that would be funny if it were literal!! Sorry for this. When we use this phrase we usually mean "condemn harshly".
Reply 117
Not literally!!! :rolleyes:
Seriously, that would be funny if it were literal!! Sorry for this. When we use this phrase we usually mean "condemn harshly".

Yeah, I knew you would say that, but I know for a fact that spitting on people is a "thing" that Muslim people do when they have bad disagreements with other people. No sugar coating can be done here now.
Yeah, I knew you would say that, but I know for a fact that spitting on people is a "thing" that Muslim people do when they have bad disagreements with other people. No sugar coating can be done here now.

I haven't experienced that in all of the 22 years of my life. Spitting... seriously?! It's a phrase. I can't even imagine it being actually done :P

Come on this is not a problem with Muslim people but with uneducated people. I don't do this and neither does anybody I know, either in England or in Pakistan or whatever. You cannot say it's due to the religion. Maybe the culture yes, it isn't so good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending