The Student Room Group

The Oxford Focus On GCSEs

Hi all,

I've regularly heard the: 'If you have good GCSEs, apply to Oxford. If you have good AS UMS apply to Cambridge'.
But does Oxford focus on an applicant's GCSEs for all subjects. I know for courses such as Medicine, they rank you on your GCSEs but for less competitive courses do they still place a lot of emphasis on your GCSEs?

Thanks guys!
Hi there,
I'm an Oxford offer holder for 2015 entry for Modern Languages, and my GCSEs were 5A* 3A 2B. I had extenuating circumstances (as mentioned in my reference and backed up by a doctor's letter). From what I've heard, potential Oxford candidates *should* have a minimum of 7A*s at GCSE, but (clearly) this doesn't hold you back completely!
There are a plethora of factors considered by Oxford tutors (personal statement, reference, admissions tests, written work, interview, grades) with GCSE grades being just one of these things. They are human; they realise that people have bad days on the day of an exam etc.
As well as this, your grades are also considered relatively to your school's overall performance. I also think its important that your A*s are in the subject(s) you're applying for; my 2Bs were in Chemistry and Physics which I left far behind after GCSE! If you have any exceptional GCSE scores its worth mentioning them in your PS.
All this isn't to say that you should completely disregard your grades; they are important because they are a strong indicator of your academic performance so far, and your potential (which is what Oxford are ultimately looking for).
Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by mochawombat
Hi there,
I'm an Oxford offer holder for 2015 entry for Modern Languages, and my GCSEs were 5A* 3A 2B. I had extenuating circumstances (as mentioned in my reference and backed up by a doctor's letter). From what I've heard, potential Oxford candidates *should* have a minimum of 7A*s at GCSE, but (clearly) this doesn't hold you back completely!
There are a plethora of factors considered by Oxford tutors (personal statement, reference, admissions tests, written work, interview, grades) with GCSE grades being just one of these things. They are human; they realise that people have bad days on the day of an exam etc.
As well as this, your grades are also considered relatively to your school's overall performance. I also think its important that your A*s are in the subject(s) you're applying for; my 2Bs were in Chemistry and Physics which I left far behind after GCSE! If you have any exceptional GCSE scores its worth mentioning them in your PS.
All this isn't to say that you should completely disregard your grades; they are important because they are a strong indicator of your academic performance so far, and your potential (which is what Oxford are ultimately looking for).
Hope this helped :smile:

Congratulations for you offer. Can I ask what you want to study at Oxford and what your A level and As results were.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Congratulations for you offer. Can I ask what you want to study at Oxford and what your A level and As results were.

Thank you :smile: I've applied for French and Beginner's German. I'm taking A Levels in French, Spanish and English Literature with predicted grades of A*A*A respectively, and I got AAAB in my AS Levels in French, Spanish, History and English.
Reply 4
I want to apply to cambridge for mathematics and I really don't know if they take Gcse's into consideration, because I am an international student and I can only give A levels. I can't afford giving all these Gcse subjects , which some of them are irrelevant with the course I am applying and the relevant are below the level of my studies, so I just think Gcse's will be a total waste of money and time(unless needed). Does anyone know?
Original post by Vesniep
I want to apply to cambridge for mathematics and I really don't know if they take Gcse's into consideration, because I am an international student and I can only give A levels. I can't afford giving all these Gcse subjects , which some of them are irrelevant with the course I am applying and the relevant are below the level of my studies, so I just think Gcse's will be a total waste of money and time(unless needed). Does anyone know?

Hi there,
As Cambridge mainly takes AS UMS scores into account (an average of 90% UMS across your best three subjects is the average for applicants), it probably isn't worth you doing the full set of 10 or 11 GCSEs as most home candidates will have done. As you're an international student, I assume that they'll take the grades you got and compare them with a GCSE performance. Having said all this, I'm not an expert, and its definitely worth emailing the admissions department to check: [email protected]

Hope this helped, and good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by johnjames9
But does Oxford focus on an applicant's GCSEs for all subjects.
No! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by mochawombat
From what I've heard, potential Oxford candidates *should* have a minimum of 7A*s at GCSE, but (clearly) this doesn't hold you back completely!

No! This isn't true! Perhaps most successful Oxford applicants have at least 7A*s at GCSE this is absolutely not the same thing as a general minimum requirement.
Reply 8
Original post by Vesniep

I think them asking for gcse's for international students would be a bit ridiculous, no?

International student here, applying for oxford though also for mathematics
Original post by BJack
No! This isn't true! Perhaps most successful Oxford applicants have at least 7A*s at GCSE this is absolutely not the same thing as a general minimum requirement.

I wasn't saying it was a general minimum requirement- hence the '*should*'. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. Apologies :smile:
Original post by johnjames9
Hi all,

I've regularly heard the: 'If you have good GCSEs, apply to Oxford. If you have good AS UMS apply to Cambridge'.
But does Oxford focus on an applicant's GCSEs for all subjects. I know for courses such as Medicine, they rank you on your GCSEs but for less competitive courses do they still place a lot of emphasis on your GCSEs?

For most subjects GCSE A*'s are a big consideration, where there is also a test (such as the LNAT) then that often becomes the priority. It is ideal to have a healthy amount of A*'s. I would say 5 is a good starting point but when you look at the stats, most subjects student A* average is around 7-8. Of course students with less than this have gained places, but there are normally other factors that were considered.
All subjects will account for any extenuating circumstances applicants may have and each applicant has 'access' flags attached to their profile. Should you match two/three of these flags you are also given a little more leeway with previous academic performance and are often automatically given an interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vesniep

Original post by Bearbert
I think them asking for gcse's for international students would be a bit ridiculous, no?

International student here, applying for oxford though also for mathematics

If you're an international student who doesn't offer GCSEs, I believe the universities will look at your GCSE equivalents, if you have any (eg Brunei-Cambridge GCE O Levels, Malaysian SPM/ UEC/ STPM, Singapore-Cambridge GCE O Levels) UCAS has a pretty interesting write-up on various countries here: http://www.cukas.ac.uk/documents/intquals2014.pdf
Original post by mishieru07
If you're an international student who doesn't offer GCSEs, I believe the universities will look at your GCSE equivalents, if you have any (eg Brunei-Cambridge GCE O Levels, Malaysian SPM/ UEC/ STPM, Singapore-Cambridge GCE O Levels) UCAS has a pretty interesting write-up on various countries here: http://www.cukas.ac.uk/documents/intquals2014.pdf

when you say Gcse equivalents you mean the equivalent's of exams in my country's educational system? Also I was one of the best 50 in maths,physics and biology ...would this be something like equivalent or they will not care ,because although this competitions were difficult and worth mentioning , they were not certified(most of them) for some reason but there are sites were where I can prove them that I had this awards?
Original post by Vesniep
when you say Gcse equivalents you mean the equivalent's of exams in my country's educational system? Also I was one of the best 50 in maths,physics and biology ...would this be something like equivalent or they will not care ,because although this competitions were difficult and worth mentioning , they were not certified(most of them) for some reason but there are sites were where I can prove them that I had this awards?

Wow, that's impressive. I'm top 10, top 20 for maths but being so good at three different stuffs is impressive

Think here they care about the grades in my normal subjects at highschool, no?

yes, I was right according to that table. Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you get any help from any teachers in order to pass in the top 10 or you do the preperation alone? If yes can you suggest to me any book you use , because I really want to take part to the English Math competition(you can sit the exams in your country!.I really like the way you do maths in england (I also prepare for step,aea) you are so much better than my country...if only you can help me find other exams like this ,or anything else that will keep my brain working and be positive for my cambridge application .
Original post by Vesniep

It's basically the equivalent national qualification that you would take at around 15/ 16 years of age or so, but not all national/ exam systems have them. The UCAS guide would be a good place to start (and they cover most countries I think), but I would email Oxford admissions just to get an authoritative word on how your application will be handled based on your qualifications.

If you had other academic achievements above and beyond your grades on paper, I would suggest that you ask your tutor to write it into your reference. :smile: Competitions (eg Maths Olympiads) aren't technically seen as GCSE equivalents, but they can certainly add to one's application and demonstrate aptitude and interest for the subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vesniep
Do you get any help from any teachers in order to pass in the top 10 or you do the preperation alone? If yes can you suggest to me any book you use , because I really want to take part to the English Math competition(you can sit the exams in your country!.I really like the way you do maths in england (I also prepare for step,aea) you are so much better than my country...if only you can help me find other exams like this ,or anything else that will keep my brain working and be positive for my cambridge application .

I'm not british. And I usually work with a teacher, but one on one like a tutorial. But individual working too.

I don't know what olympiad problems you can get, but Titu Andreescu's Real Analysis is great. Maybe look at AOPS?
It's basically the equivalent national qualification that you would take at around 15/ 16 years of age or so, but not all national/ exam systems have them. The UCAS guide would be a good place to start (and they cover most countries I think), but I would email Oxford admissions just to get an authoritative word on how your application will be handled based on your qualifications.

well we don't have something equivalent in my country for GCSE's and that is a problem ... because I really now think that I don't have chances for passing the application process or the interview(since they look at your grades and they will propably delete me as an applicant) at Cambridge...I mean students who apply to cambridge have top grades in a levels and GCSE's and I will only have 2A* in maths and further maths (in the best situation)......I can pass STEP(you can only take it after passing the interview , which I have little chances) and AEA(not offered in my country) , which are by far more difficult than GCSE's , but I can't certificate the knowledge I have (unless I pay SO much money) , and that is so sad for me. what would you do in my situation? I will be grateful if you can help me deal with this problem. And I also can't find UCAS guide ...is it a book or a website?
Original post by Vesniep
well we don't have something equivalent in my country for GCSE's and that is a problem ... because I really now think that I don't have chances for passing the application process or the interview(since they look at your grades and they will propably delete me as an applicant) at Cambridge...I mean students who apply to cambridge have top grades in a levels and GCSE's and I will only have 2A* in maths and further maths (in the best situation)......I can pass STEP(you can only take it after passing the interview , which I have little chances) and AEA(not offered in my country) , which are by far more difficult than GCSE's , but I can't certificate the knowledge I have (unless I pay SO much money) , and that is so sad for me. what would you do in my situation? I will be grateful if you can help me deal with this problem. And I also can't find UCAS guide ...is it a book or a website?

The short answer: Email Cambridge and hear from the horse's mouth.

If you don't have GCSEs (or equivalents), then the universities simply put more emphasis on the other aspects of your application (eg A and AS levels). It doesn't rule you out from applying, insofar as your A levels (or other qualifications) is accepted by Cambridge (see http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/entrance-requirements for details).

If your qualification isn't on the Cambridge list, my suggestion would be to email the Cambridge Admissions Office as soon as possible (you should also email any other university that you are interested in). You might be able to take American qualifications in lieu (ie SATs and APs).

The UCAS guide is the one I linked to in the original post.

Could you not ask your teacher to mention your achievements in the UCAS reference (eg Vesniep has done very well in his academics, in particular, he achieved top 50 in the country in Biology, Maths, and Physics in xyz competition/ exam)? The universities would probably accept that as sufficient evidence of your achievements.

Incidentally, which country and what examination system are you following?

Incidentally, which country and what examination system are you following?

Unfortunately, the worst educational system of all europe(by surveys) ....the greek one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending