The Student Room Group

Degree for officer application

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi ANM, I find it hard to believe that I fall on the side of the green Army against my former RAF brethren in this discussion!

However, the green argument (ArmyJobs and exlibris) chimes entirely with my knowledge and, more importantly, experience. I have known and worked with many clever grads (commissioned and non-com) who possess zero common sense, conversely, I've also worked with many non-grads who I would happily follow over the top. Which is pretty much what exlibris is saying. A degree is a piece of paper at the end of the day, it shows you've achieved a high level of intellectual robustness, but it's HOW you use that ability which counts in the big bad world. I would contend that other life experiences can also demonstrate the skills and attributes required to succeed in any field.

If you accept that you may well be questioned closely about your lack of a degree, then providing you have solid reasons, I see no reason why you shouldn't go for it.

As for your career post military, then yes, there are some organisations who will be totally inflexible if you're not a graduate, but others are more enlightened and accept there may be many reasons for not possessing this qual. Post RAF, without a degree, I walked into a new job (advertised for a graduate) over the heads of many college leavers, based (according to my new boss) on the fact I could string 2 words together, had read and understood the job description, and managed to comprehensively evidence the required competencies. Three years later, I'm just about to start another grad job, again over those with the required degree.

I say go for it. If anyone asks, just say ArmyJobs said it was alright!

PS ArmyJobs, where are your Navy and RAF mates? Are they a bit slow on the social media strategy?
Original post by Ikaruss
PS ArmyJobs, where are your Navy and RAF mates? Are they a bit slow on the social media strategy?

We've had reps of both on here. Short lived though. The RAF bod, supposedly someone from the Leeds AFCO made a right pig's ear of an attempt to highlight open trades, there was a thread on pprune about it. The RN had someone in for a Q&A, but they got shown up a bit and never lingered.
It's a bonus because you will leave at some point. That's a given. If you stay in until age 55 or leave before that point, you don't want 'being in the Army' to be your only qualification.

It also helps for a career in the Forces. As you progress beyond SO3 (Captain) to Major and above, being a grad is a massive help. Staff study courses are geared around writing essays and presenting information, higher skills than degree but harder for non-grads to pick up. Advanced Staff Course (pretty essential if you want to get higher than Colonel) is basically a Masters level study package. Having a degree is excellent grounding for such study. Different Corps / Regts / Branches also offer APET (Advanced Pre Employment Training) which is a year studying for a Masters fully paid. It's nearly impossible to get on those courses without a degree.

Yes, you CAN join as an Officer without a degree. I did. However, it is very geared toward GRADUATE entry for a commission.

I joined without a degree. I now have a MSc. I would strongly urge anyone to get a degree at the point in their life when they are 'supposed' to.
Reply 23
Original post by ProStacker

I joined without a degree. I now have a MSc. I would strongly urge anyone to get a degree at the point in their life when they are 'supposed' to.

If you don't mind me asking, did you fund your masters independently or with funding from the armed forces? And if the latter, can you pick to study any masters of your choosing, or does it have to be related to your role in the armed forces? Thanks.
I used the Enhanced Learning Credit system to fund some of my Masters and I paid the rest.

At the time, the study I undertook was of great benefit to the role I was in, so I had no trouble getting my boss to sign off on it. The guidance says
The learning purpose must benefit the Service and advance the individual’s development plans. Claimants must plan their personal development, often best demonstrated through a personal development record.

If you can weave it in to your development, then you can probably do it.
For more details have a look at:
http://www.courses4forces.co.uk/cms/how_to_claim_them/

Quick Reply

Latest