The Student Room Group

How to stop having any form of emotions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
This is more calling all the sociopaths/psychopaths who lack empathy. I really want to disconnect with my emotions and stop feeling things for others. I hate emotions/feelings, they make me feel weak like I have no control over the situation and they mess up a lot of my plans/decisions.

I dont want to feel anything, is there a way I can train myself to stop feeling them? I'll do anything to get out of this! Any tips on disconnecting emotionally with everyone around you? This includes family and friends.

I think you should watch the film The Tale of Princess Kaguya. That film kind of goes over this and it's also a really beautiful film anyway.

But that said - your plans and decisions - what do they lead up to? Something? A goal? Why do you want to achieve that goal? To make others happy? Even that is, by proxy, a goal that makes you happy surely.

What's important to realise is that you only want these plans to go well because you wish to achieve happiness or self-satisfaction. If you want happiness, you must also suffer. That is how this world works. You may either feel nothing, or feel it all.

If I couldn't feel anything, I'd just kill myself. Because then I couldn't feel the guilt of upsetting those who love me, and ultimately, if you can never be happy, existence is an utter waste.
I agree. But its not just about caring about the people who are not worth it (I dont care about them in the first place) its about not being able to show much emotion in normal situations because it makes you lose control.

I think if you learn to stop caring about small things, in return the bigger things will follow. With friends and family I think it's not a matter of not caring about friends and family but instead finding a way to deal with problems strategically and logically and keeping your emotions to one side.
Original post by Andy98
I can't comprehend why you'd want no emotions anyway, it'd just leave you with a bland, meaningless, dreary existence.

I see no use in caring. Emotions dont run the world and just because tou dont have emotion does not mean you cant feel self satisfaction. Its not bland, meaningless etc, its fun and it gives you more of an advantage. I have been through periods of "No emotions" and I do enjoy it, I just cant seem to maintain it.
Original post by caiitliin
I think you should watch the film The Tale of Princess Kaguya. That film kind of goes over this and it's also a really beautiful film anyway.

But that said - your plans and decisions - what do they lead up to? Something? A goal? Why do you want to achieve that goal? To make others happy? Even that is, by proxy, a goal that makes you happy surely.

What's important to realise is that you only want these plans to go well because you wish to achieve happiness or self-satisfaction. If you want happiness, you must also suffer. That is how this world works. You may either feel nothing, or feel it all.

If I couldn't feel anything, I'd just kill myself. Because then I couldn't feel the guilt of upsetting those who love me, and ultimately, if you can never be happy, existence is an utter waste.

Thanks for a film recommendation. Plans and decisions meaning sometimes I just want to be able to control how I look to people and know what to say and be manipulative. Its how I am when I first meet anybody and my feelings are away but then I start getting comfortable with them and I start caring and it all falls apart. Also when you harm someone you are much more likely to feel guilty and I dont want that.

I dont want to feel the guilt, I dont want to be emotional towards people. I am never happy atm, I havent felt happiness in ages - maybe self satisfaction but not happiness. My existance wont be an utter waste if I learn how to get rid of all the other emotions so I can go ahead with my plans.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I think if you learn to stop caring about small things, in return the bigger things will follow. With friends and family I think it's not a matter of not caring about friends and family but instead finding a way to deal with problems strategically and logically and keeping your emotions to one side.

Interesting, thanks for posting that!
Interesting, thanks for posting that!

Can I just say, what you're talking about has intrigued me for a very long time!! I have actually met people exactly like what you have written and I'm not going to lie, I have this strong admiration for them. I mean I am not overly emotional as I have written above, but I'm sure I could probably cry if something did really and I mean REALLY upset me. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk about it, in fact I want you to lol a lot of what your saying is what I think all the time, it's actually really weird reading your posts, it is really like reading my thoughts outside my head!!!:eek:
Reply 46
I see no use in caring. Emotions dont run the world and just because tou dont have emotion does not mean you cant feel self satisfaction. Its not bland, meaningless etc, its fun and it gives you more of an advantage. I have been through periods of "No emotions" and I do enjoy it, I just cant seem to maintain it.

It sent me crazy and suicidal when I went through it so I'm glad to have my emotions back. But whatever floats your goat
How do you obtain it?

i dunno where mine came from, but i've always been different (not noticeably) to the crowd, but I don't want to be a sheep when I have the mindset of a lion :wink:

emotions hinder us and differentiate the strong minded from the weak.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why don't you just learn to become strong enough to control your emotions? I feel emotions yet I do not let them affect my decisions unless I want them to.
Get bullied, have someone be a cruel piece of **** to you for a couple of months. Open up to somebody you know wont give a crap and then see what becomes of you. Keep your social life to a minimum, find some obscure hobby to do to occupy your time. You eventually become so recluse and unwilling to open up to others, and while you don't stop having emotions (its kind of impossible without having a lobotomy) you do stop noticing that they are there, and stuff has a lesser impact on you. Generally not a good idea to do this though because people call you an arrogant and unfeeling person who doesn't give a crap about what happens to anyone else, but if you are sure, go for it.
Long story short, this is what happened to me, and i rarely expression any emotion other than total disdain for anyone or anything.
Original post by Protégé
Why don't you just learn to become strong enough to control your emotions? I feel emotions yet I do not let them affect my decisions unless I want them to.

And how does one become strong enough to control them?
Original post by an_atheist
Get bullied, have someone be a cruel piece of **** to you for a couple of months. Open up to somebody you know wont give a crap and then see what becomes of you. Keep your social life to a minimum, find some obscure hobby to do to occupy your time. You eventually become so recluse and unwilling to open up to others, and while you don't stop having emotions (its kind of impossible without having a lobotomy) you do stop noticing that they are there, and stuff has a lesser impact on you. Generally not a good idea to do this though because people call you an arrogant and unfeeling person who doesn't give a crap about what happens to anyone else, but if you are sure, go for it.
Long story short, this is what happened to me, and i rarely expression any emotion other than total disdain for anyone or anything.

"Get bullied, have someone be a cruel piece of **** to you for a couple of months." No thanks lmao xD

Having no emotions doesnt mean you have to be a stuck up person or SHOW that you lack empathy. It can be used as a great advantage to manipulate people and appear to be something you are not by faking feelings and stuff.

Hmmm obscure hobby seems interesting xD
Reply 53
Emotions are good. Fear, sadness, happiness, a mixture of emotions is what makes us human.
"Get bullied, have someone be a cruel piece of **** to you for a couple of months." No thanks lmao xD

What having that happen does help you to do is learn to compartmentalize and separate your emotions from yourself. This in turn helps you to control your emotions.

Having no emotions doesnt mean you have to be a stuck up person or SHOW that you lack empathy. It can be used as a great advantage to manipulate people and appear to be something you are not by faking feelings and stuff.

Hmmm obscure hobby seems interesting xD

I get that you don't have to, but it does make you seem like one. being able to fake the feelings gets quite hard actually, once you separate yourself from your feelings for long enough. Personal experience in this. As a hobby i got into playing Warhammer 40k
You can't if you already have them. You can numb them, but people usually achieve that through certain traumatic experiences. I think emotions are both a blessing and curse. It's a blessing, because really some of the best things in life are through emotions, at the same time, it can be a weakness in many cases. I wouldn't encourage it. people who lack real emotion live a shallow lifes devoid of love, compassion, empathy. The last bit is important, I don't think we need more people in the world who lack that. They've caused enough misery in the world.
That sounds like an interesting film, thanks for the recommendation! I wonder if there IS a drug to suppress emotions - I'd take it.

There's a book called Sleepwalking by Nicola Morgan if you're interested. It has a similar idea, but involves a Hunger Games-style revolution.
To detach yourself from your emotions, you have to fully understand them. You will always have emotion of some sort, but it's the way you deal and understand with them.
Become The Joker :colone:
Original post by an_atheist
What having that happen does help you to do is learn to compartmentalize and separate your emotions from yourself. This in turn helps you to control your emotions.

I get that you don't have to, but it does make you seem like one. being able to fake the feelings gets quite hard actually, once you separate yourself from your feelings for long enough. Personal experience in this. As a hobby i got into playing Warhammer 40k

The only reason I want to lose the feelings is to then fake a whole new persona where I can fake feelings without any attachment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending