The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For English Literature Unit 1 I analysed a character's name. Will I get rewarded for this?
Original post by Palette
For English Literature Unit 1 I analysed a character's name. Will I get rewarded for this?

If you havent noticed already this is a language thread.

But since your already here, it depends on the question they asked and they were asking you to analyse a particular character, I dont see why you shouldnt get credited for that analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dci.james.turner
If you havent noticed already this is a language thread.

But since your already here, it depends on the question they asked and they were asking you to analyse a particular character, I dont see why you shouldnt get credited for that analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is a language thread, but I thought more people would reply if I posted here.

The text was Of Mice and Men, by the way, and part b) was extremely general.
Original post by irfan_blue
Then follow Mr Bruff. Simplez :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get too nervous during the exam so I end up forgetting his tips. :frown:
Original post by Palette
I get too nervous during the exam so I end up forgetting his tips. :frown:

Write tips and techniques all over your hands

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write tips and techniques all over your hands

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL.

8:55 am, June 2, 2015.

*Palette and 200 other people walk into the exam hall*

8:57 am.

Middle-aged woman: Excuse me, what is written in your hand?

Palette: Er...

Middle-aged woman: You're going to leave the hall this instant and don't you think of coming back until you wash that scrawl of the Devil off your hand!

Palette: Yes, ma'am.

(I know you didn't mean the actual exam)
Original post by Palette
LOL.

8:55 am, June 2, 2015.

*Palette and 200 other people walk into the exam hall*

8:57 am.

Middle-aged woman: Excuse me, what is written in your hand?

Palette: Er...

Middle-aged woman: You're going to leave the hall this instant and don't you think of coming back until you wash that scrawl of the Devil off your hand!

Palette: Yes, ma'am.

(I know you didn't mean the actual exam)

I wear google glass to my exam so its cool for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wear google glass to my exam so its cool for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't Google take it off the market because it wasn't selling that well and it was quite useless for a lot of its functions?
Original post by Palette
Didn't Google take it off the market because it wasn't selling that well and it was quite useless for a lot of its functions?

Its ok, my dads a software developer and hes company got sent out a couple. He got one home when they realised how sh*t it was. But nonetheless a cool piece of tech but a gimmick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its ok, my dads a software developer and hes company got sent out a couple. He got one home when they realised how sh*t it was. But nonetheless a cool piece of tech but a gimmick

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will they update it anytime soon? I mean add stuff like videocalling (I think they initially included it but then they removed it for some reason) and maybe even enough memory to rival a desktop or laptop?
Original post by Palette
Will they update it anytime soon? I mean add stuff like videocalling (I think they initially included it but then they removed it for some reason) and maybe even enough memory to rival a desktop or laptop?

I think its discontinued now and the whole project 'glass' has been abandoned:hmmm::lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think its discontinued now and the whole project 'glass' has been abandoned:hmmm::lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Time for somebody else to dig into the portable computer market then!
For question 5, how do you use advanced vocabulary if the question asks you to write for a student magazine read by those in your year?
Original post by Palette
For question 5, how do you use advanced vocabulary if the question asks you to write for a student magazine read by those in your year?

Advanced vocab means 'lol' and using hash tags in your piece of writing. In a recent mock I wrote #lonely and I got credited for it
Advanced vocab means 'lol' and using hash tags in your piece of writing. In a recent mock I wrote #lonely and I got credited for it

Seriously?

By the way, how would you address your reader if your audience is a bunch of students? I know you can't write 'Dear Sir/Madam' but writing 'Hey guys' sounds as equally inappropriate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by merlinthecat123
Hi. I am also taking this exam.
Does anybody know what percent coursework is of your language grade. An also literature ( I did s bad in the exams :frown:)

Coursework is 40% of your total Language GCSE and 25% of your Literature GCSE
Reply 56
Original post by Barrosasaurus
Wait, you guys are telling me that 90% isn't theboundary for A*

My english teacher lied to me :P

So in my mock i got 80%, was that an A* then (i was told it is a high B)

LOL teachers are so deluded with grade boundaries.
80% of 80 is 64 Marks - In June 2014 A* was 57 and A was 52
An A* is 90% of the UMS MARKS, not the actual RAW mark. The paper is out of 180 UMS (CW out of 120), so a mark of 57 would be worth 162 UMS (90%).
They set the maximum ums cap by adding on the difference between A-A* onto the A* mark: A mark of 62 is 180/180
Your mark of 64 is Full UMS, not a B LOL
Reply 57
Original post by tara1234
Tips for this exam would just be to stick to the timings you've been given, if you run over move on because you're better off to have an answer for each question.

With Question 1 to get into the top band you need to show a progression of something you have learnt in the text, also remember to put your evidence into your own words instead of just repeating what is in the Source as this shows you truly understand it.
Question 2 is probably the easiest, make sure you look at headline and picture and their links to the text but don't state things like 'The heading is bold to stand out.' You can't link that to the text and it can't be expanded, focus on the language used and techniques.
Question 3 again isn't hard, but you need to infer thoughts and feelings of the writer not just repeat the quote. For example if there was a sentence saying 'This made me feel scared.' DON'T say 'The writer feels scared.' Find other language to prove this.
Question 4 is the hardest question in the paper in my opinion. My main tips would be to find quite broad comparisons (these can be similarities and differences). Stuff like figurative language, facts and opinions and lexis instead of finding a simile in one source and spending forever trying to find one in the other. Also you should link these comparisons to the Genre, Audience and Purpose of each text.

I disagree with doing these questions backwards because you build up to Question 4 by doing them in order, and also if you compare Source 3 and Source 1 (which are recommended) you will already have analysed the techniques in Source 1, and so you waste less time. By doing this backwards you are actually making it more difficult for yourself, but that's just my opinion.
However, I do think its a good idea to do Questions 5 & 6 first if you have problems with time management, but remember often they use Sources which can help your arguments to Question 6 so don't ignore the Sources.

I hope this kind of helps some people struggling, and good luck for Tuesday :smile:

For Question 3 how could you start your point instead of saying the writer feels scared? And when you say find other language, do you mean put a language feature in that point to back his/her feelings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone offer to mark a past paper which I solved?
Original post by Palette
Can anyone offer to mark a past paper which I solved?

I will but I must warn you I am a C grade student....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending