The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature A2 Exam 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

ahhhh it did uplod lol
Original post by mizzcoolkat
i uploded the doucuments but what do i do cuz itsnot cming up on this message any help?

OMD you're like a God send :colondollar: the documents are so helpful :h:

P.S Guys I came across an old post in 2011 were a student got full marks in the exam - it's not an example essay but gives valuable tips in hitting those AO's, by the 12th of June all of you guys better feel you got nothing lower than an A :wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1609287&page=2
(edited 8 years ago)
I've written most of my essay plans for Hamlet/TRT on paper but I've got a few typed up:
Original post by Piledriver
I've written most of my essay plans for Hamlet/TRT on paper but I've got a few typed up:

Awesome! :h:
Just thought I'd upload a model essay of mine for Hamlet and Revenger's Tragedy - My teacher marked it 34/40 but I did miss AO4 in the first paragraph which inevitably impacted on me getting an A* :frown:
AO1 - 9/10
AO2 - 9/10
A03 - 8/10
A04 - 8/10
Though I still don't know how I'd write that under exam conditions :unimpressed: :afraid:
Original post by Faith.A
OMD you're like a God send :colondollar: the documents are so helpful :h:

P.S Guys I came across an old post in 2011 were a student got full marks in the exam - it's not an example essay but gives valuable tips in hitting those AO's, by the 12th of June all of you guys better feel you got nothing lower than an A :wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1609287&page=2

awww thank you hope it helps i dont know how many quotes to revise for
Original post by Faith.A
Just thought I'd upload a model essay of mine for Hamlet and Revenger's Tragedy - My teacher marked it 34/40 but I did miss AO4 in the first paragraph which inevitably impacted on me getting an A* :frown:
AO1 - 9/10
AO2 - 9/10
A03 - 8/10
A04 - 8/10
Though I still don't know how I'd write that under exam conditions :unimpressed: :afraid:

omg tht essay is good man i need more of these
Original post by mizzcoolkat
awww thank you hope it helps i dont know how many quotes to revise for

I would say give or take 5 quotes per theme plus two or three quotes of a critic per theme - cos I when I analysis language specifically I only use one quote per paragraph but analyse it in depth and try to talk about how the words in the quote contribute to some sort of meaning in the text. So considering that I use one quote per paragraph and write about 5 paragraphs for the main body of the essay - I try to learn 5 or more for each theme. And in the exam the moment you choose the essay question plan it and put the quotes down. So I would plan the Wife of bath essay and include quotes, then plan the Hamlet essay and put the quotes down and then go back to WoB and write the essay - that way I've got down all the quotes and critics I've memorised that is still fresh in my mind and I no longer need to retain it that way after doing WoB I don't completely forget the Hamlet quotes.

So plan and get the quotes done for both sections before you answer any question fully and just leave a few pages blank so that you don't run out of space and write over your plan for section B. <- I dunno if that made sense but yeah...
Original post by Faith.A
I would say give or take 5 quotes per theme plus two or three quotes of a critic per theme - cos I when I analysis language specifically I only use one quote per paragraph but analyse it in depth and try to talk about how the words in the quote contribute to some sort of meaning in the text. So considering that I use one quote per paragraph and write about 5 paragraphs for the main body of the essay - I try to learn 5 or more for each theme. And in the exam the moment you choose the essay question plan it and put the quotes down. So I would plan the Wife of bath essay and include quotes, then plan the Hamlet essay and put the quotes down and then go back to WoB and write the essay - that way I've got down all the quotes and critics I've memorised that is still fresh in my mind and I no longer need to retain it that way after doing WoB I don't completely forget the Hamlet quotes.

So plan and get the quotes done for both sections before you answer any question fully and just leave a few pages blank so that you don't run out of space and write over your plan for section B. <- I dunno if that made sense but yeah...

aww thank you yeah it does makes sense lmaoo i gt an idea ima leanr it n keep on repetaing it n then quicly write it down bfor i forgrt
Original post by Faith.A
Only if it's 24 carat gold ring :tongue: haha but no problem :smile: you can more or less follow the structure for drama too but tweak it for the partner text such as having a critic - luckily for me Hamlet and The Revengers Tragedy have the same context but that may differ with the texts studied.

Haha, that can be arranged.
But thanks again, I will try and use it for both texts! I'm struggling so much with this exam :frown:
Original post by Elvish
I've been searching everywhere for a WJEC thread and couldn't find one, so I thought I'd start one! How is everyone's revision getting on? It would be really great if we could compile a range of sources for us to all use. I'm doing Paradise Lost for section A and Hamlet + Revenger's Tragedy for section B. Is anyone else in the same boat?

I'm doing the same as you, but I'm reallyyy struggling to learn quotes for all three :frown: I think I'm okay on Hamlet, but Revenger's and PL are a nightmare! I hope the role of women comes up for at least one section, that's the only theme I'm really sure on :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Original post by letthesunshine
I'm doing the same as you, but I'm reallyyy struggling to learn quotes for all three :frown: I think I'm okay on Hamlet, but Revenger's and PL are a nightmare! I hope the role of women comes up for at least one section, that's the only theme I'm really sure on :s-smilie:

Same here! I find PL so hard. How are you revising your texts? My english revision has been sidelined a bit due to my history exam on monday :s-smilie:
Original post by Elvish
Same here! I find PL so hard. How are you revising your texts? My english revision has been sidelined a bit due to my history exam on monday :s-smilie:

I'm exactly the same, I have a history exam on Monday too which is literally taking up EVERY waking hour :angry: Good to know someone else is in the same boat though! I'm just making theme pages where I list all the quotes that could apply to each theme, so at least I'll have something to analyse in the exam... critics I've sidelined a bit, I only know about two, but I figure that I'll look at those when I'm more confident on the actual texts! I'm devoting Tuesday and Wednesday to solid English, just repeating quotes until they stick in my head :smile:
I'm doing George Orwell - Shooting an Elephant and Other Essays. Is anyone else?

ALso, is there a website that can help with terminology?
In general, how would Hamlet be received/interpreted by the Elizabethan audience, compared with a modern audience?
Reply 36
Original post by letthesunshine
I'm exactly the same, I have a history exam on Monday too which is literally taking up EVERY waking hour :angry: Good to know someone else is in the same boat though! I'm just making theme pages where I list all the quotes that could apply to each theme, so at least I'll have something to analyse in the exam... critics I've sidelined a bit, I only know about two, but I figure that I'll look at those when I'm more confident on the actual texts! I'm devoting Tuesday and Wednesday to solid English, just repeating quotes until they stick in my head :smile:

Oh gosh, me too! I've avoided critics like the plague- I've only really learnt a few about the women in Hamlet. I really wish we had the texts for the exam, I think 3 is very harsh! By the way, which history course did your school pick? We do Elizabeth I and it is honestly the most boring thing I've ever done!
Original post by Elvish
I really wish we had the texts for the exam

^^^ This. One of the reasons im dreading this exam. I mean, ok, for my poetry, William Blake, im fine going closed text because there arent actually too many poems to learn at all and theyre short and interesting too.

But memorising two LONG plays inside out just so you have a chance at being able to quote + survive the exam (especially when your Shakespeare text is garbage + forgettable) feels overkill. In fact, the entire jump from AS->A2 WJEC English Lit feels overkill.

Why is this exam closed text? WhWhy did they even bother making last years exam open-text? Did we really need the books to answer the poetry question in last years exam? Oh well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by MiniKoala
In fact, the entire jump from AS->A2 WJEC English Lit feels overkill.

Why is this exam closed text? WhWhy did they even bother making last years exam open-text? Did we really need the books to answer the poetry question in last years exam? Oh well.

I am so glad somebody feels the same way. I know a lot of the other exam boards have very different exams, which are normally closed text for both. I think the poetry exam last year closed test would have been much more achievable! I don't understand why the paper couldn't be focused on one section of the paper, or at least in two exams :mad:
Possible questions for Hamlet/Revenger's Tragedy:

- Women
- Power
- Inaction
- Religion/spirituality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending