The Student Room Group

The "I'm an American considering applying to Oxford" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quyennguyen
Hello, I'm a high school student in California who's interested in applying to oxford for Fall 2016 entry. My stats are great for entry into a US university, but I'm afraid I won't look competitive with Oxford. ACT: 33/36, will be retaking in SeptemberSAT2s: 750 Physics, 780 Math Level 2, 800 World History, 720 Biology (Molecular)I have attended an early college high school, which did not offer any AP or IB courses, we instead complete half our courses at a local community college. I was confident about my stats until I began to browse thorough the website and discovered that SAT2s are worth less than APs. Will sending only SAT2 and ACT scores hold me back? I don't want to seem less competitive than someone who had the opportunity to take APs.
I don't think SAT 2s will hold you back. Perhaps there's a school nearby where you could take calc BC, and that would probably help you out for both engineering science and math and stats. Also, both parts of physics c, since almost none of c is covered in SAT physics. However, I would avoid attempting these if you're not confident you're going to get 5s.
Reply 741
Original post by princetonboi
Hi I'm a US based applicant thinking about applying for physics next year. My stats are as follows, but I am mainly worried about the PAT and interviews. I'd love to go to oxford, and any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

SAT 1: 2280 (800 math/ 730 reading/ 750 writing) retaking soon, expecting 2350+
SAT 2s: 780 physics, 800 Math II, 800 Math I

Also I will be taking Physics B & C as well as Calc AB APs next year.

In addition I've been taking Mandarin for 10 years, I was wondering if I could continue that at oxford? Thanks!

Hi! I just received an offer for PhysPhil this year. First, don't stress about retaking the SAT, the difference in score really shouldn't matter.

The PAT (entrance exam) is very tough, and I would study for that before a lot of other things, especially if you haven't taken Physics B or Calc AB yet! Also make sure you have a testing center nearby or can register one (I had to do the latter and it took a while).

Any other questions I'd be happy to answer!
Original post by quyennguyen
I'm looking at either Mathematics and Statistics or Engineering science.

Go look at the Math & Physics Aptitude Tests (MAT/PAT) - you would have to take one of them- and come back & tell us what you think.
Original post by mtian
Hi! I just received an offer for PhysPhil this year. First, don't stress about retaking the SAT, the difference in score really shouldn't matter.

The PAT (entrance exam) is very tough, and I would study for that before a lot of other things, especially if you haven't taken Physics B or Calc AB yet! Also make sure you have a testing center nearby or can register one (I had to do the latter and it took a while).

Any other questions I'd be happy to answer!

Hey!
I was wondering if you're an applicant from the US, and if so, how did you study for the PAT? In addition, what do you think gave you an edge in the admission process (i.e. any tips and tricks)?

Thanks,
Sorry to bother
Reply 744
Hey!
I was wondering if you're an applicant from the US, and if so, how did you study for the PAT? In addition, what do you think gave you an edge in the admission process (i.e. any tips and tricks)?

Thanks,
Sorry to bother

Hi, sorry I didn't see this for so long. I am an American. I studied for the PAT mainly by looking over the past exams and studying topics from my AP courses. Knowing the format and type of questions which the exam asks is very helpful. I took some cold to judge what score I'd get, others with resources just to learn. Review books for SAT IIs and APs are great but they don't always cover all the topics or problem types. As far as the admissions process, the feedback I got said I was good in my interviews which is honestly astounding to me considering I thought I did really poorly. But the tutors will think what they will. Other questions? Good luck!
Hey!

Thanks,
Sorry to bother

Not sure if you saw my reply to your other thread; here is it, copied.

Hi, I am American (Californian), about to start physics at Oxford this year. The system in the UK (and even Oxbridge vs. rest of the UK) is quite different, so you should do some general research on the internet. But here is what I have to say on the things you mentioned.

First: Money (you've probably already heard this, but this is important so I will say it). Including everything (tuition, college fee, living costs, plane tickets), the cost is going to be around $60,000 a year, basically the same cost of going to a private or out of state public in the US. But, you will not get ANY financial aid or scholarships, so unless you are rich enough to not qualify for much financial aid in the US, Oxford is not really an option. You can, however, take out loans and use any local scholarships you have. Another option is to switch to math, which will cost about $50,000 a year (not sure why there is a difference, all science courses cost more). You can also think about Cambridge's math tripos, which is quite focused on applied math, aka physics.

Tests: Oxford requires SAT 2100+ or ACT 32+, and 3 APs at 5 or 3 SAT subject at 700+. The APs/SAT subjects need to be related to the subject at Oxford you are applying for. So, you only need one more subject test (can you do chemistry?), or you can use APs. Tests are important for British applicants, but I am not sure how familiar the tutors are with foreign exams, maybe they will matter less. Certainly the regular SAT/ACT matters less than the subject exams. I had a 5 on CS, both Physics C, Calculus BC, and Chemistry, and while I am not sure how much it helped, it certainly did not hurt.

PAT: Look up past papers on the ox physics website. For me, it was quite easy as I had already taken AP Physics C and AP Calculus, and did physics olympiad the year before. However, you probably need to do some serious studying if you haven't taken AP level physics before. The PAT is extremely important as it is basically the sole criteria for selecting people to interview, and even after the interview it is used to evaluate candidates for places.

Interview: I did it over skype, and it worked fine. However, it is a good idea to visit universities before you choose one, and the interview is the best chance to experience Oxford. (The catch is that the visit won't be very useful if you don't actually get in, though of course you might just go for the sake of the visit.) They'll ask you a few trivial math questions like "do this integral", then a few more serious physics questions, both conceptual and computational.

I think an issue for you is your lack of knowledge and experience at this point, which may hurt you on the PAT and interviews. What physics and math courses have you taken so far? Only taking AP physics and Calculus your senior year is a bit late. If you are serious about Oxford, you need to spend a lot of time on self-study this summer. Ideally, you should have a solid knowledge of AP B (if not C) level physics, and AP AB level calculus by the time of the PAT.

Chinese: you only study one subject (physics in your case). There is an option to take a language at some point, but it is for beginners and only French, German, and Spanish are offered. But you can self-study in your free time and interact with the international students from China or students studying Chinese, or attend lectures (you won't get credit, but no one will stop you from attending random lectures.)
General advice (for everyone, but especially those familiar with the US system but not UK):

In most subjects, the test (PAT, MAT, HAT, etc.) and interview count for almost everything. Your personal statement and letter of recommendation do matter, but activities should be relevant to your subject. If you are a physics student who interned at a physics lab, it will help, but if you did some volunteering at a hospital, it won't matter as much. I don't think tests matter much as long as you have the minimum, as the admissions tutors are academics, not professional admissions officers like in the US, so they don't have time to understand all the tests around the world. Subject and AP tests are probably much more important than the general SAT or ACT.

In the US, you can apply, say, to be a chemistry major without ever taking chemistry in high school. This will not work for Oxford, you need to demonstrate your abilities in that subject. The one exception is computer science; they do not expect you to have programming experience, and will instead test you on mathematics relevant to CS.

Ideally, you should take an AP level course in your subject in your sophomore or junior year. If not, you need to do some serious studying over the summer to do well on the admissions test and the interviews.
Hi, I'm a rising senior at a US high school in Mass. I'm interested in applying to read Classics at Oxford (enrolling in 2016). My grades so far have been good with the exception of my French SAT II (660/690). I have about 6 other SAT IIs all well above 700 and my highest SAT score is 2260. I took 3 APs this year and am hopeful that I will get 5s on all of them. I am taking 4 APs my senior year (including Latin). My PS is looking strong so far, although I'm sure it will have been significantly improved by the time October rolls around and I interview very well. I take Latin and Greek and I have designed an Independent Study Project on Greek Tragedy that I will be taking next year with one other student and a faculty advisor. I am really passionate about Classics and have read around the subject a lot. Have I completely scuppered my chances of getting in with the French scores?
(edited 8 years ago)
Where can i find a list of recommended books for summer reading? Specifically for history.
Original post by plindsay
Hi, I'm a rising senior at a US high school in Mass. I'm interested in applying to read Classics at Oxford (enrolling in 2016). My grades so far have been good with the exception of my French SAT II (660/690). I have about 6 other SAT IIs all well above 700 and my highest SAT score is 2260. I took 3 APs this year and am hopeful that I will get 5s on all of them. I am taking 4 APs my senior year (including Latin). My PS is looking strong so far, although I'm sure it will have been significantly improved by the time October rolls around and I interview very well. I take Latin and Greek and I have designed an Independent Study Project on Greek Tragedy that I will be taking next year with one other student and a faculty advisor. I am really passionate about Classics and have read around the subject a lot. Have I completely scuppered my chances of getting in with the French scores?

Not at all. You're fine. The treat the test scores like a benchmark it seems to me. If you're at their threshold they don't care.
Original post by zklamann
Not at all. You're fine. The treat the test scores like a benchmark it seems to me. If you're at their threshold they don't care.

Thanks for your response! I believe the benchmark is 700, but are you saying that since they only ask for 3 I should be ok given the other SATs I have?

Also, are you a current student at Oxford?
Original post by plindsay
Thanks for your response! I believe the benchmark is 700, but are you saying that since they only ask for 3 I should be ok given the other SATs I have?

Also, are you a current student at Oxford?

I'll start in October. As long as you have three at their level, they're happy. Worry for the interview and written work. They're more important and more difficult.
Greetings all; I'm a Northern Virginian planning to apply to study Chemistry at Merton in 2016. I'm curious what you all think about my current (and planned) qualifications and if there are any potential problems (my Writing SAT score, for instance, given the recently changed wording of "and also 700 or more in Writing" on the Oxford website).

SAT
2130 (720 Reading, 740 Math, 670 Writing)
2130 (710 Reading 760 Math, 660 Writing)

AP Exams
AP World History: 4
AP Chemistry: 5
AP Calculus BC: 5
AP Physics 1: 5
AP US History: 5
AP English Language: 5

Planned AP Tests:
AP English Literature
AP Computer Science A
AP Biology
AP Statistics
AP Comparative Government
AP Microeconomics

I've taken a look at the A-Level Chemistry syllabus, and I must say, the AP Chemistry curriculum leaves a lot to be desired for an Oxbridge hopeful. As such, I've decided to teach myself a great deal of chemistry over the summer. Does anyone have any suggestions for books, websites, etc to help with this?

Thank you all for your help, and good luck to everyone applying in the Fall!

Edit: Filled in actual AP scores, better than expected!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 753
I've taken a look at the A-Level Chemistry syllabus, and I must say, the AP Chemistry curriculum leaves a lot to be desired for an Oxbridge hopeful. As such, I've decided to teach myself a great deal of chemistry over the summer. Does anyone have any suggestions for books, websites, etc to help with this?

Hi - I'm just starting my A2 courses in the UK (so I'll also be applying for 2016 entry), and although I won't be applying for chemistry, I am doing chemistry A level. Some of the best websites are chemguide (http://www.chemguide.co.uk), and knockhardy (http://www.knockhardy.org.uk). The exam board I'm doing is Edexcel (textbook here: http://www.amazon.com/Chemistry-Students-Edexcel-Level-Sciences/dp/1408206056/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1435953638&sr=8-5&keywords=edexcel+a2+chemistry), although there are 2 other main exam boards, AQA and OCR, which also have their own syllabus/textbooks.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I just graduated from high school in the USA, and I'll be able to apply to Oxford before my university starts. I want to apply in PPE, but was wondering if my AP Exam scores are too low. I have four 5's (AP Calc AB, AP US History, AP English, and AP Calc BC). But on AP US Gov and AP Microecon, I have 4's. My SAT is 2200+. Should I even send AP Gov and AP Microecon?

BTW, I have published an academic paper in an International Conference related to economic policy. Wondering if this would help at all if I use it in my personal statement.
Original post by sherio777
Should I even send AP Gov and AP Microecon?

Firstly, you have to send everything, otherwise you could be accused of withholding information and could lose your place at Oxford should you be accepted. Keep in mind that you are applying for the most competitive course at Oxford, so having 4's in two of the subjects that most closely relate to your degree will likely be an issue. Though having published a peer reviewed paper on economics may make up for the 4 in Microeconomics, definitely mention it. That being said, if Oxford is what your heart is set on, not the degree, you could apply for a subject that more suits your qualifications, such as Math and Philosophy.

Whatever you choose to apply for, the only way to be certain to be rejected is if you don't apply.
Hello all! I'm very set on applying to Oxford this year to read History but I am a bit concerned about my scores. Here they are:

SAT: 2250

Subject Tests:

French - 770
World History - 740

AP Tests:

US History - 5
Spanish Language and Culture - 5
European History - 4
English Literature - 5 (predicted)
Psychology - 5 (predicted)
Macroeconomics - 5 (predicted)

Can the HAT still make up for my 4 in European History or am I doomed?
Original post by Fedelias
Hello all! I'm very set on applying to Oxford this year to read History but I am a bit concerned about my scores. Here they are:

SAT: 2250

Subject Tests:

French - 770
World History - 740

AP Tests:

US History - 5
Spanish Language and Culture - 5
European History - 4
English Literature - 5 (predicted)
Psychology - 5 (predicted)
Macroeconomics - 5 (predicted)

Can the HAT still make up for my 4 in European History or am I doomed?

Consider them all separate metrics. The HAT is totally different from test scores. You need three total related scores - no crossover between SAT IIs and APs - to reach the benchmark. Your one problem will be AP Euro. You may be able to get an interview still, but you'll have to do very well on the HAT and the interview. Your written work needs to be great as well.
Original post by zklamann
Consider them all separate metrics. The HAT is totally different from test scores. You need three total related scores - no crossover between SAT IIs and APs - to reach the benchmark. Your one problem will be AP Euro. You may be able to get an interview still, but you'll have to do very well on the HAT and the interview. Your written work needs to be great as well.

Thanks for the super quick reply. A couple more questions. If I were to get a predicted 5 for a retake of european history next year do you think that would help? Also, is there anything I should know about the kind of work I should be submitting? Thanks again, your replies have been an incredible help :smile:
The 4 on Euro is a big problem, but a super HAT score could in theory get you to interview.

Why do you think that you would do better on Euro if you took it again?

The written work should be a history essay from school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending