The Student Room Group

16 year olds getting taxed?

Is a 16 year olds living in the UK and earning £3.79 per hour supposed to be getting taxed for about 30% of their earnings? Doesn't sound right at all to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I was taxed too... apparently we can claim it back. I

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOOL £3.79? how is this possible? wasn't minimum wage like £6 aleast?
Original post by Jimmyforeal
LOOL £3.79? how is this possible? wasn't minimum wage like £6 aleast?

That's only for over 21's.
Original post by brittanna
That's only for over 21's.

wow, that sucks loool.
What! :eek: How will you guys save for tution fees or living expenses?
Original post by Azhar Rana
What! :eek: How will you guys save for tution fees or living expenses?

Before university, living expenses will be very little. At universiity, you get a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan to help with that. You pay it off once you earn enough. I don't understand what the problem is?
Before university, living expenses will be very little. At universiity, you get a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan to help with that. You pay it off once you earn enough. I don't understand what the problem is?

If so, thats great!, do international students get the same services too?
Reply 8
R85 should do it. Unless you're working... almost 3,000 hours a year, that's 57 hours a week, which let's face it is not feasible for a 16 year old.
If so, thats great!, do international students get the same services too?

I doubt it.
I doubt it.

I actually wanted to study in the UK, but i really lack sufficient funds unfortunately so if i do get student load and grants that would we great then.
I actually wanted to study in the UK, but i really lack sufficient funds unfortunately so if i do get student load and grants that would we great then.

No, I'm fairly sure you won't get a tuition fee loan. Plus international students have to pay higher fees, so you'd need around £15000 a year just for tuition fees alone. Plus any money you need to live on.
Original post by MasieA
Is a 16 year olds living in the UK and earning £3.79 per hour supposed to be getting taxed for about 30% of their earnings? Doesn't sound right at all to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you are earning above £10500 a year you should be paying no tax. They may have you on an emergancy tax code. The best way to sort this is to phone HMRC and sort it out- you should be compensated, i think they pay it back to you via cheque in April.
So a 16 year old on minimum wage £3.79 an hour, if it is a full time job of 40 hrs a week (or 37.5) depending on what you class as fulltime

£3.79*40=£151.60 p/w
£151.60*52=£7,883. This is below what they start taxing at last time i checked it was £10500 but it may be £11000 now. Actually you are £2617 below Income tax contribution
No, I'm fairly sure you won't get a tuition fee loan. Plus international students have to pay higher fees, so you'd need around £15000 a year just for tuition fees alone. Plus any money you need to live on.

Yep I saw that on various uni websites anyways thanks for information!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DarrenBCFC
Unless you are earning above £10500 a year you should be paying no tax. They may have you on an emergancy tax code. The best way to sort this is to phone HMRC and sort it out- you should be compensated, i think they pay it back to you via cheque in April.
So a 16 year old on minimum wage £3.79 an hour, if it is a full time job of 40 hrs a week (or 37.5) depending on what you class as fulltime

£3.79*40=£151.60 p/w
£151.60*52=£7,883. This is below what they start taxing at last time i checked it was £10500 but it may be £11000 now. Actually you are £2617 below Income tax contribution

I'm in a similar situation, did a job for 3.90/hr and got taxed. I quit the job over a year ago, could i claim it back? and what documents do they need?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diamondluck
I'm in a similar situation, did a job for 3.90/hr and got taxed. I quit the job over a year ago, could i claim it back? and what documents do they need?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only thing you will need is your payslips and your NI number- this may be used to check the code you was on. Then once you have proved it with the payslips and they find the code they will find how much you should be compensated for. If you don't have your payslips (P60 is posh name I believe) go and ask your bank for a statement of all transactions (there may be an admin fee). In your post you believed that you was taxed 30%, you got paid £3.90. I need to know how many hours you worked to get a more accurate calculation
News flash= Everyone of UK working age gets taxed and it doesn't matter if you are a student or single parent. It's what you earn over the tax that matters.
Original post by SonicOfPron
News flash= Everyone of UK working age gets taxed and it doesn't matter if you are a student or single parent. It's what you earn over the tax that matters.

You don't get taxed on the minimum wage for a 16 year old in the UK
Original post by DarrenBCFC
You don't get taxed on the minimum wage for a 16 year old in the UK

Reread what you just quoted and you'll see I wrote that it's what you earn that matters.

Will be expecting an apologize.
Original post by SonicOfPron
Reread what you just quoted and you'll see I wrote that it's what you earn that matters.

Will be expecting an apologize.

Unless your american its apologise. I will apologise this time. Sorry. But why add an insignificant comment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending