The Student Room Group

Do you like reading books?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NotNotBatman
No, not at all, I've never been interested in a novel enough to get past the first page. I've tried many times to get into different books, but my mind drifts off after the first paragraph.

Wow. I really don't know how my life would be like if I did not have the opportunity to escape into the plot of a good book once in a while. It helps keep me sane. Maybe the novels you have picked up so far are boring. Have you tried sci-fi, horror(R.L Stines, Goosebumps is a nice place to start :smile:
Original post by Shaistaaa
YES this is me too! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And my parents main problem is that I walk around while daydreaming. I have to. I just can't sit still. And since I am big boned, to them downstairs(I mostly stay holed up in my room upstairs) I sound like an elephant moving back and forth, back and forth.... My dad says I should curb the habit before I get to uni or they might put me the mental health problems list and I people will avoid me.
Original post by Ekemini
Wow. I really don't know how my life would be like if I did not have the opportunity to escape into the plot of a good book once in a while. It helps keep me sane. Maybe the novels you have picked up so far are boring. Have you tried sci-fi, horror(R.L Stines, Goosebumps is a nice place to start :smile:

Yes, i've tried reading Goosebumps, I can't get into it. I have many sci fi books which I picked up because they were on sale some include, Robot Blues, The Spear of Mars, Requiem of Stars , Battlefield 3 (Andy Mcnab) and perseus spur. All of which haven't interested me past the first page.
I love reading literally could read all day if I had the time
Original post by Ekemini
You're like me except from the last part. I read mostly fiction but the part about concocting stories in my head and daydreaming for hours is becoming a problem for my parents. Cause sometimes I would just think of a really funny line(...well...funny to me) and just start laughing out loud. Sometimes I get so into the daydream I speak out loud so it looks like I am talking to myself and slowly losing my mind.

It's awesome right?! It's really hard to get bored.
I definitely relate to the parent thing. I do the exact same things. It doesn't help that my parents work in mental health.
I'm not even lying, my mum has expressed worry. I mean she doesn't think mad or anything. But she worries that I could lose my mind. Also doesn't help that she's had a few patients who study Maths, which is what I study, and I apparently have the same habit as one of her patients. But then again, she is the type of person to worry about everything.
We're perfectly sane :h:
Yes, i've tried reading Goosebumps, I can't get into it. I have many sci fi books which I picked up because they were on sale some include, Robot Blues, The Spear of Mars, Requiem of Stars , Battlefield 3 (Andy Mcnab) and perseus spur. All of which haven't interested me past the first page.

****. No offense but I am seriously glad I don't have your problem. I am aware that some books can be boring. If you cannot hook me within the first five lines(cause i learnt you cannot really depend on prologues) I will drop the book. I tend to avoid books with sad or dissatisfying endings cause they leave a bad taste that will stay with me for weeks or even months and i am very irritable in that time period. What about comic comedy, as in the Archie comics. They are funny.
Who doesn't? :smile:))
Original post by FatherTime
It's awesome right?! It's really hard to get bored.
I definitely relate to the parent thing. I do the exact same things. It doesn't help that my parents work in mental health.
I'm not even lying, my mum has expressed worry. I mean she doesn't think mad or anything. But she worries that I could lose my mind. Also doesn't help that she's had a few patients who study Maths, which is what I study, and I apparently have the same habit as one of her patients. But then again, she is the type of person to worry about everything.
We're perfectly sane :h:

Haha. I swear I think my dad has a psychiatric hospital on speed dial. He is genuinely worried for my sanity and so is my sister. I was starting to think maybe this ''problem'' was only exclusive to me. My parents think its a foundation to lead to other serious mental issues like schizophrenia. I try to watch myself cause now apparently I do it in public. I have caught myself once or twice myself smiling into thin air at a story I have up in my head.
And I totally agree. We are perfectly sane :colone:. Heeheeheehee
Original post by Ekemini
****. No offense but I am seriously glad I don't have your problem. I am aware that some books can be boring. If you cannot hook me within the first five lines(cause i learnt you cannot really depend on prologues) I will drop the book. I tend to avoid books with sad or dissatisfying endings cause they leave a bad taste that will stay with me for weeks or even months and i am very irritable in that time period. What about comic comedy, as in the Archie comics. They are funny.

I only remember enjoying one book, about eight years ago I read the falcon's malteser, which is a spoof book. But generally when I read a novel, I can read the text but it just doesn't sink in; for example if I were to read a non fiction book, I would be able to read every word without a problem, but if you were to ask me what the book was about I would have absolutely no idea, this doesn't happen with newspaper articles or anything non - fiction. I don't know maybe I have a reading disability or something.
Glad to find someone who enjoys reading just as much as I do! :smile: I could spend an entire day in a book store haha and it was a good book, I seemed to enjoy it.I still want to know what the 3 words were at the end of the book :P and I guess there are some books that not everyone enjoys,luckily there are so many more to choose from :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, I'm obsessed with book shops. I'm getting through so many books that I'm rereading all my favourites at the moment.
Oh good haha, I haven't spoken to anyone who hasn't enjoyed it! I'd like to know as well!
I only remember enjoying one book, about eight years ago I read the falcon's malteser, which is a spoof book. But generally when I read a novel, I can read the text but it just doesn't sink in; for example if I were to read a non fiction book, I would be able to read every word without a problem, but if you were to ask me what the book was about I would have absolutely no idea, this doesn't happen with newspaper articles or anything non - fiction. I don't know maybe I have a reading disability or something.

Wow. Like I said before I am quite the opposite. Can reminisce about a book good or bad for days. I have never encountered a problem like yours before. If it is even a problem to begin with.
It's always escapism for me, I live in different worlds everyday and books help me create such solid, concrete worlds that I forget everything - forget being, existing.

When I was younger, upon having an argument with my parents, I'd storm upstairs to immerse myself in a book and, when having finished it, I'd go downstairs and forget I was meant to be mad at them before they'd point it out :lol:

These days, I can't travel anywhere without my journal, my poetry+song book and the book I'm reading at the time. They feel like friends to me, entities.

Rn i'm reading "Manufacturing Consent - The Political Economy of the Mass Media" as well as "The Shock Doctrine"
Original post by Ekemini
Haha. I swear I think my dad has a psychiatric hospital on speed dial. He is genuinely worried for my sanity and so is my sister. I was starting to think maybe this ''problem'' was only exclusive to me. My parents think its a foundation to lead to other serious mental issues like schizophrenia. I try to watch myself cause now apparently I do it in public. I have caught myself once or twice myself smiling into thin air at a story I have up in my head.
And I totally agree. We are perfectly sane :colone:. Heeheeheehee

Ahaha really? My mum bringing it up also made me more concious of it. My house mates at uni have also noticed it. But it's not big deal, we've just made it into a joke. Well, I honestly hope neither of us ever become schizophrenic or anything like that. I'm sure we wont though.

Part of me has been curious to get psycho analysed, just to see.
It's definitely not exclusive to you.Aha, maybe we've both lost our minds ehehehe :colone:. Since we're on the subject of books, this reminds me of Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, everyone in that book is crazy. I'm so going to re-read that now. Insane people don't think they are insane.
Reply 33
Hello! So I love to read books and I always have enjoyed reading ever since I learnt how to read. It gives a chance for me to escape reality and travel into another world for a while :smile: I have a huge collection of books and I was just wondering if anyone else loves reading just as much as I do. I finished reading the book "Eleanor and Park" a couple of days ago and now I am reading "Paper Towns"

I'm a complete slag for books.
I love everything.
I like a lot of books that involve issues of war. like when things fall apart by chinua achebe or slaughter house 5.
mind bending stuff like naked lunch.
love historical both non fiction and fiction. quite an obsession with genghis khan so I like the conquerer series by collin iggleden (its fiction about ghenghis khan) and Genghis Khan by John Man which is a bit like a travel diary/history book. its pretty cool its like michael palins travel books. those i like too.
I like old literature as well. I feel it allows insight into ways of old thinking and viewing the world. classic fairy tales and cultural folk law like books from the pantheon folklore library. Also love H.P Lovecraft n Robert E. Howard. Although lovecrafts obvious racism can be a stumbling block for some people i personally just find it so ignorant and old fashioned that it becomes hilarious. also find religious books interesting to read as theyve had so much impact on the world. a long with philosophy both western and eastern old and new.

really geekily like osprey military books...

and other more geeky stuff like guides on how to learn things. social work books and greys anatomy. the kind of things sherlock holmes would probably have lying around. Like books on wood carving and all sorts.

I would be more than happy to just live on a sunny beach in a wooden hut reading all day.

oh i like political books to. reading fidel castros commentary on the first year of obamas rule in america is hilarious. it just boils to him saying cubas great and america sucks but in a really extravagant way. or gaddafis green book.

and oh yea i also like biographies like malcom x or pimp

infact theres not much i don't like. except maybe misery lit.

Original post by Sir Candour
I LOVE reading, although, over the past year, the 'why' has changed.

For reasons alike to yours, I used to lose myself in wonderful fictional worlds. What I adored perhaps was the escapism!

Now, I'm reading mostly non-fiction (currently 'On Palestine'), and I'm loving the feeling of ever increasing wisdom. The best part? I'll never know anywhere near enough. Although imagination might sadly start to dwindle as ages pass, this kind of pleasure from reading will never subside. :biggrin:

Same. I sucked at reading and then one day I just became interested. read the hobbit and loved the escapism. the I became interested in how books could help me cope with my difficult surroundings and started looking at books from other people who had survived them. got into philosophy n what not.

Love history n world affair books too. If you like reading on palestine you you might be interested in Not the enemy Book by Rachel Shabi is quite interesting. its about how non white jews get second class treatment in israel. so not quite palestine but similar region. I guess the two things are intertwined.

Original post by somemightsay888
Currently going through all the Tolkein stuff atm, on the Unfinished Tales, they're :sogood:

Tolkeins really hit and miss for me. I have to say I had to throw in the towel reading the two towers. first half was awesome but the bit with sam n frodo just got too much for me.

Hows unfinished tales?

you into the conan books? or lovecraft?

what kind of stuff do you like to watch on tv/on film? that might be a place to see what your into.
Reply 34
Original post by silaiestatira
It's always escapism for me, I live in different worlds everyday and books help me create such solid, concrete worlds that I forget everything - forget being, existing.

When I was younger, upon having an argument with my parents, I'd storm upstairs to immerse myself in a book and, when having finished it, I'd go downstairs and forget I was meant to be mad at them before they'd point it out :lol:

These days, I can't travel anywhere without my journal, my poetry+song book and the book I'm reading at the time. They feel like friends to me, entities.

Rn i'm reading "Manufacturing Consent - The Political Economy of the Mass Media" as well as "The Shock Doctrine"

I'd LOVE to get into having a journal. but I just fear someone getting a hold of it and I try to travel light so I don't keep a bag with me.

interesting books. is that for studies or just personal reading?
Reply 35
I love mystery/thriller books but i hate watching thriller movies. The thing with books is that you can stop when you want. Love the suspense! I love other genres too but this one is my favourite!
Original post by Mick.w
I'd LOVE to get into having a journal. but I just fear someone getting a hold of it and I try to travel light so I don't keep a bag with me.

interesting books. is that for studies or just personal reading?

It's not a diary journal per se where I document my day of events, more so a collection of thoughts and art work. I think you should attempt to keep one, it's very satisfying.

Personal reading (:
Original post by Mick.w

Tolkeins really hit and miss for me. I have to say I had to throw in the towel reading the two towers. first half was awesome but the bit with sam n frodo just got too much for me.

Hows unfinished tales?

Loved the LOTR trilogy :biggrin: I dunno, I liked Sam and Frodo's bit but yeah their journey is a bit slower paced compared to earlier in the book when there's Orcs and action and all that.

Unfinished tales is really good :biggrin: Not as good as The Silmarillion imo, as the language in the book is incredibly archaic and it has no real overarching plot; think of it as a fictional encyclopedia of the history of middle earth. Ngl, it does at a lot to the LOTR Universe; you learn how the Elves came to be like they are (split into various factions/lifestyle), how Morgoth and Sauron went about their business etc. Very interested, like I said the only thing that'll be hard is the language; it's very very archaic, and the book just throws you in and expects you to know all the Elvish and Dwarven terms, can't tell you the time I spent on my phone looking up each word I had no clue about and putting it into context :biggrin:

Nope, never read either; Conan as in Conan the Barbarian or nah?
Original post by Mick.w
I'm a complete slag for books.
I love everything.
I like a lot of books that involve issues of war. like when things fall apart by chinua achebe or slaughter house 5.
mind bending stuff like naked lunch.
love historical both non fiction and fiction. quite an obsession with genghis khan so I like the conquerer series by collin iggleden (its fiction about ghenghis khan) and Genghis Khan by John Man which is a bit like a travel diary/history book. its pretty cool its like michael palins travel books. those i like too.
I like old literature as well. I feel it allows insight into ways of old thinking and viewing the world. classic fairy tales and cultural folk law like books from the pantheon folklore library. Also love H.P Lovecraft n Robert E. Howard. Although lovecrafts obvious racism can be a stumbling block for some people i personally just find it so ignorant and old fashioned that it becomes hilarious. also find religious books interesting to read as theyve had so much impact on the world. a long with philosophy both western and eastern old and new.

really geekily like osprey military books...

and other more geeky stuff like guides on how to learn things. social work books and greys anatomy. the kind of things sherlock holmes would probably have lying around. Like books on wood carving and all sorts.

I would be more than happy to just live on a sunny beach in a wooden hut reading all day.

oh i like political books to. reading fidel castros commentary on the first year of obamas rule in america is hilarious. it just boils to him saying cubas great and america sucks but in a really extravagant way. or gaddafis green book.

and oh yea i also like biographies like malcom x or pimp

infact theres not much i don't like. except maybe misery lit.

Same. I sucked at reading and then one day I just became interested. read the hobbit and loved the escapism. the I became interested in how books could help me cope with my difficult surroundings and started looking at books from other people who had survived them. got into philosophy n what not.

Love history n world affair books too. If you like reading on palestine you you might be interested in Not the enemy Book by Rachel Shabi is quite interesting. its about how non white jews get second class treatment in israel. so not quite palestine but similar region. I guess the two things are intertwined.

Hows unfinished tales?

what kind of stuff do you like to watch on tv/on film? that might be a place to see what your into.

I watch all genres of TV and film.
Reply 39
Original post by silaiestatira
It's not a diary journal per se where I document my day of events, more so a collection of thoughts and art work. I think you should attempt to keep one, it's very satisfying.

Personal reading (:

I know. But I'd like a big one. like a3 size. where i can stick things in and scribble everywhere n maybe draw too. problem is im not so much afraid of losing it for diary reasons. more people stealing my ideas lol. I may start doing it once i change my lifestyle.

hmmm interesting stuff. always a fan of chomsky's written stuff.
Media related theres NEWSPEAK in the 21st Century by David Cromwell and David Edwards which I'd recommend if your interested in well written books that are critical of the world. its a great case of showing how massively bias and dangerous news reporting and media can be.

shock doctrine looks fantastic definitely going to add that to my basket. I was talking to my friends about my conspiracy theory regarding the 2011 riots and that i believed cameron & co made good a fertile platform for such things to happen on purpose due to the recession and trying to stimulate the economy through disaster capitalism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending