The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
That is really unlucky, I think it would have depended on the examiner imo. I passed on my fourth test and had a terrible parallel park. I kept being too close to the kerb and just kept pulling out without asking the examiner until I finished and thought I had hit the kerb. I think he could have easily told me to stop and fail me for it but he never so it really does depend on which examiner you get.
Don't lose hope, you will pass next time :smile: Keep an eye out for test cancellations to see if you can get another test soon.

yeah that's what my instructor reckoned too! If it were any other examiner they may have passed me, especially considering i'd narrated the whole thing and made them aware that I knew i was too close to continue reversing. Just need to persevere I guess
Original post by Poldark00
I failed my first driving test today with 1 serious fault, 1 minor (a show me tell me).

On the A1, a lorry came past in the right hand lane (even though I was doing 65), then started pulling into my lane without indicating (I was next to the point between the cab and the trailer). I braked and moved onto the hard shoulder as it pulled in, but had to make an emergency stop as there was a car broken down ahead. I asked the examiner what he wanted me to do at this point, and he said "you need to make a decision yourself". So I reversed back 25 or 30 metres, then indicated right and waited for a gap in the traffic. At the biggest gap after around 30 seconds, I just went for it and floored it to get out in time. No comment from the examiner.

At the end of the test he said I failed - apparently when I exited the hard shoulder, I caused the car behind me to slow down.

Sorry but your examiner sounds like a dick. Did the car behind you have to brake hard?
Original post by XMaramena
Sorry but your examiner sounds like a dick. Did the car behind you have to brake hard?

No, there was lots of room and he was probably doing over the limit I think as well - in an audi convertible. By the time he got close, I was already up at 60mph.

Put it this way - if I was that driver, even with the nerves of being on the test, I wouldn't have found it off putting to have to ease back to let a car out of the hard shoulder.
No, there was lots of room and he was probably doing over the limit I think as well - in an audi convertible. By the time he got close, I was already up at 60mph.

Put it this way - if I was that driver, even with the nerves of being on the test, I wouldn't have found it off putting to have to ease back to let a car out of the hard shoulder.

I would perhaps appeal that, especially since it was an extraordinary circumstance for a driving test and you didn't make a single minor mistake on your driving apart from that situation. It may save you some money on a retest. I think they're well over £60 these days.
Reply 4964
Original post by Blabyda
Failed my 4th test today. Actually sick of learning to drive. Got one major and 4 minors, got the major on my parallel park. The car the examiner chose was this big BMW that was parked facing towards us. Started doing the park, realised i'd turned in too early and was close to the cars bonnet and tried to correct it. Realised that wasn't going anywhere so I asked the examiner if i could pull round and do it again and he said no.

Now I can't get another test until october when i'll be back at uni. So frustrating. My instructor insists that it was a bit of a ridiculous thing to fail me on considering the rest of the test went so well, but personally just wanting to be done with the whole process. I used to enjoy driving but I hate it now. It's always stupid things that fail me.

Of course your instructor is going to tel you that, because that's what you want to hear! He's not going to tell you that you're anything but perfect because you're paying him for lessons, and if he does he won't get more money. He will have wanted you to pass, but the next best thing is for you to fail and continue. The worst thing is you fail and affect his pass rates and he can't even earn anything from you in future.

So, put that aside and forget about it. It means nothing. You messed up on a manoevre, didn't know what to do and had to ask the examiner (you're going to say you didn't, but try to see it from his perspective), and thus didn't deserve to pass. It doesn't matter how great the rest of the drive was - if we follow that logic, you could run over a pedestrian and it wouldn't matter as long as everything else was fine. You're now going to say it wasn't fair to test you against a BMW, but the test has to reflect road conditions - they can't make parked vehicles appear so it's easier for candidates, just as they can't make them disappear to make an easier parking space. If you had passed and wanted to park in that area then that would have been the space you chose, so it's a fair thing to test you on.

I failed my first driving test today with 1 serious fault, 1 minor (a show me tell me).

On the A1, a lorry came past in the right hand lane (even though I was doing 65), then started pulling into my lane without indicating (I was next to the point between the cab and the trailer). I braked and moved onto the hard shoulder as it pulled in, but had to make an emergency stop as there was a car broken down ahead. I asked the examiner what he wanted me to do at this point, and he said "you need to make a decision yourself". So I reversed back 25 or 30 metres, then indicated right and waited for a gap in the traffic. At the biggest gap after around 30 seconds, I just went for it and floored it to get out in time. No comment from the examiner.

At the end of the test he said I failed - apparently when I exited the hard shoulder, I caused the car behind me to slow down.

You shouldn't have asked the examiner what to do, and shouldn't expect him to comment. So that's irrelevant, but would help to show you're not very experienced. If you passed your passenger won't tell you what to do in situations, and shouldn't tell you if what you did was a major fault or not.

You rightly failed, as your actions caused someone else to change their actions. If you waited around 30 seconds that's not long enough to wait for a gap - and the gap you found wasn't sufficient. You've then posted that you think he was speeding, which shows you didn't assess the situation correctly.

Original post by XMaramena
I would perhaps appeal that, especially since it was an extraordinary circumstance for a driving test and you didn't make a single minor mistake on your driving apart from that situation. It may save you some money on a retest. I think they're well over £60 these days.

You can only appeal if the test wasn't conducted correctly. If other drivers cause "extraordinary circumstances" you're expected to be able to react appropriately. That's called "safe driving".
Original post by Juno

You shouldn't have asked the examiner what to do, and shouldn't expect him to comment. So that's irrelevant, but would help to show you're not very experienced. If you passed your passenger won't tell you what to do in situations, and shouldn't tell you if what you did was a major fault or not.

You rightly failed, as your actions caused someone else to change their actions. If you waited around 30 seconds that's not long enough to wait for a gap - and the gap you found wasn't sufficient. You've then posted that you think he was speeding, which shows you didn't assess the situation correctly.

You can only appeal if the test wasn't conducted correctly. If other drivers cause "extraordinary circumstances" you're expected to be able to react appropriately. That's called "safe driving".

Of course I'm not experienced. Hence I'm sitting in a learner driver car taking my first driving test (put two and two together, eh?)

I'd like to see you getting out of the hard shoulder in a 1.0L Corsa with no space in front to get up to speed, in heavy traffic on the A1 and NOT cause someone behind you to ease off. I could have sat and waited a few hours until the traffic died down, if that's what you're saying I should have done?

At no point did I ever create danger for the person behind me. If I'm travelling steady and someone comes up behind me speeding over the limit, do I get failed if they have to slow down to stop going into the back of me? Of course not. And when people come out of junctions or slow down to manoeuvre, if you're behind them, you'll have to slow down too. That's called normal driving, adequate separation.

It sounds like you think everybody should just shove their foot to the floor, hope for the best, and if you happen to be in their way then, well, sucks to be you.
Reply 4966
Of course I'm not experienced. Hence I'm sitting in a learner driver car taking my first driving test (put two and two together, eh?)

I'd like to see you getting out of the hard shoulder in a 1.0L Corsa with no space in front to get up to speed, in heavy traffic on the A1 and NOT cause someone behind you to ease off. I could have sat and waited a few hours until the traffic died down, if that's what you're saying I should have done?

At no point did I ever create danger for the person behind me. If I'm travelling steady and someone comes up behind me speeding over the limit, do I get failed if they have to slow down to stop going into the back of me? Of course not. And when people come out of junctions or slow down to manoeuvre, if you're behind them, you'll have to slow down too. That's called normal driving, adequate separation.

It sounds like you think everybody should just shove their foot to the floor, hope for the best, and if you happen to be in their way then, well, sucks to be you.

I own a W regards Corsa, darling
Original post by Blabyda
Failed my 4th test today. Actually sick of learning to drive. Got one major and 4 minors, got the major on my parallel park. The car the examiner chose was this big BMW that was parked facing towards us. Started doing the park, realised i'd turned in too early and was close to the cars bonnet and tried to correct it. Realised that wasn't going anywhere so I asked the examiner if i could pull round and do it again and he said no.

Now I can't get another test until october when i'll be back at uni. So frustrating. My instructor insists that it was a bit of a ridiculous thing to fail me on considering the rest of the test went so well, but personally just wanting to be done with the whole process. I used to enjoy driving but I hate it now. It's always stupid things that fail me.

I was allowed to retry mine when I said I've done it completely wrong (seconds before I actually messed it up) I'm really sorry you had a very stricter examiner. I'm sorry but that's stupid, people screw in parellel parks all the time. Misjudge, go in to fast to close, then spend other tries correcting it. Even when you pass your test and your in a car you don't recognise, you will still have to correct it a few times before you get it right.

Try not to beat yourself up, 4 minors isn't bad, next time just do it super slowly and you should be fine :smile:
Reply 4968

You were going 65mph in the left lane but this was also in 'heavy traffic'?

What likely happened is you were undertaking someone and building up speed when they were trying to get in. Big lorries like that are rarely in the right hand lane so he was trying to over take but you wouldn't let him in. If you were checking your mirrors you would have saw him. Get in the right hand lane lol.
This thread is so depressing to read...
:yawn:

Every now and then, I scroll through these threads and it's that same user, patronising learner drivers on here.

Answers on postcards please! :laugh:
Original post by ajspurs
Ah nice one! Yeah as long as you're doing it at a time that's comfortable for you that's all that matters :smile:

I just PASSED 4th time!!! So so happy. The examiner really put me at ease we chatted all the way and I got turn in the road my FAVOURITE!! So happy.

I have a question can someone help - he took my licence and said he'd get a new full one sent to me, which is fine. But the signature and photo on it won't match anything now as they are from when I was a kid. I have a new signature that I use for everything (bank cards etc) and new passport photo. Do I have to wait for it to arrive and then apply for a new one/renew it? And will this cost anything?

Thank you. And - DON'T GIVE UP!! I nearly gave up, but thought positive all up until this 4th test and did it. Believe in yourselves! x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nyancats
I just PASSED 4th time!!! So so happy. The examiner really put me at ease we chatted all the way and I got turn in the road my FAVOURITE!! So happy.

I have a question can someone help - he took my licence and said he'd get a new full one sent to me, which is fine. But the signature and photo on it won't match anything now as they are from when I was a kid. I have a new signature that I use for everything (bank cards etc) and new passport photo. Do I have to wait for it to arrive and then apply for a new one/renew it? And will this cost anything?

Thank you. And - DON'T GIVE UP!! I nearly gave up, but thought positive all up until this 4th test and did it. Believe in yourselves! x

Ohhh my goshhhhh I'm so happy for you!!!! :biggrin: Congrats!!
About the picture, I'm not sure if it matters but I wouldn't know. My passport picture and signature are different to my license too but I haven't done anything about it lol
4th time lucky is still going strong for TSR :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
I failed on monday by 1 serious mark because a tree branch covered the direction I was going for my independent driving. The test was perfect other than that: got a turn in the road (my favourite manoeuvre), the traffic was slow and easy going and we didn't leave the main town - and I still managed to fail. Don't think I'll ever get a test like that again and I'm off to uni in September so I won't be able to take the test again until god knows when without a cancellation. It's really knocked my confidence :bawling:
Original post by AtomicSammi
I failed on monday by 1 serious mark because a tree branch covered the direction I was going for my independent driving. The test was perfect other than that: got a turn in the road (my favourite manoeuvre), the traffic was slow and easy going and we didn't leave the main town - and I still managed to fail. Don't think I'll ever get a test like that again and I'm off to uni in September so I won't be able to take the test again until god knows when without a cancellation. It's really knocked my confidence :bawling:

Are you sure you failed for that?? I got lost on my test and it ended up lasting over an hour and I passed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Holdaboss
Are you sure you failed for that?? I got lost on my test and it ended up lasting over an hour and I passed...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it was. In the debrief afterwards he told me that I didn't look at the sign to which direction I needed to go, despite his pre-warning that it was immediately after a roundabout. I did look at the sign but because a tree was covering the part of the sign that told me where to go I didn't know which lane to go into. :frown:
Original post by AtomicSammi
Yes it was. In the debrief afterwards he told me that I didn't look at the sign to which direction I needed to go, despite his pre-warning that it was immediately after a roundabout. I did look at the sign but because a tree was covering the part of the sign that told me where to go I didn't know which lane to go into. :frown:

Oh that makes sense if you was in the wrong lane, just didn't want you to have failed for something you shouldn't have! Sounds like you'll be fine next time, good luck.
This is my first attempt. The driving examiner was very good at Hayes. Everything went well in the driving test which was taken at 13:25 until the reverse round the corner manoeuvre!!!!! Where i completely misjudged the reference point and went way outside of the kerb!!!
The driving examiner was so grateful that he asked if I want to correct, I may go ahead!!!. I did went little forward and upon reversing still could not come close to the kerb!!!! (I should have done more of the left steering while coming back atleast in the second chance)

Atlast he has no other go than to say you should have passed if not for the reverse round the corner maoeuvre!!! Apart from that i just had 4 minors only!!!!! (undue hesitation at roundabouts and steering control) :smile:)) sad...
Got my 4th driving test in 10 days, failed my last one with one minor and one major (the one before that I failed with 2 minors and one major). I actually feel a bit less nervous about this one but there is something I was wondering if someone could help with?

Basically this is my 3rd test with this instructor, and he's a really nice guy and great instructor. I just feel really bad for him that I have to keep taking tests and ruining his pass rate. The examiners have said my driving is perfect but I just keep making one mistake each test that results in a major. Trying not to feel disheartened but in my mind it's like "What if it takes me 10+ tests to pass?". I don't wanna embarrass my instructor, and I feel embarrassed to take so many tests with him!

If I don't pass by 5th or 6th test, should I find a new instructor so as not to make my current one look bad?
Reply 4979
Original post by ThunderRock
Got my 4th driving test in 10 days, failed my last one with one minor and one major (the one before that I failed with 2 minors and one major). I actually feel a bit less nervous about this one but there is something I was wondering if someone could help with?

Basically this is my 3rd test with this instructor, and he's a really nice guy and great instructor. I just feel really bad for him that I have to keep taking tests and ruining his pass rate. The examiners have said my driving is perfect but I just keep making one mistake each test that results in a major. Trying not to feel disheartened but in my mind it's like "What if it takes me 10+ tests to pass?". I don't wanna embarrass my instructor, and I feel embarrassed to take so many tests with him!

If I don't pass by 5th or 6th test, should I find a new instructor so as not to make my current one look bad?

What did you fail your tests on? I doubt your instructor cares as he's making a ton of money from you.

Latest

Trending

Trending