The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

I am currently looking at the different gym packages available at Bristol and am most likely to opt for Active Gym. Does anyone know whether this offers all classes free of charge (at off-peak times) or whether classes are just at a discounted price but still require some payment each time? Thanks :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1021
Original post by hexagonalRod
anyone on the EEE course here?

hey, I am doing the EEE course too! I have a problem choosing my laptop to use. i have a MacBook but i am getting a new one but i am not sure if 512GB would be enough? do you have any ideas
Reply 1022
Original post by zikora
hey, I am doing the EEE course too! I have a problem choosing my laptop to use. i have a MacBook but i am getting a new one but i am not sure if 512GB would be enough? do you have any ideas

Haha! I was just researching the same thing. Which Mac are you getting?
I was looking into the MacBook Air - so it's nice and portable to work on :smile:
Is anyone here studying Social Policy?
😁
Reply 1024
Original post by arty
Haha! I was just researching the same thing. Which Mac are you getting?
I was looking into the MacBook Air - so it's nice and portable to work on :smile:

I didnt want to get the air because I felt like the memory was to small. I want to get the macbook pro. is there any minimum size of memory we should have?
Reply 1025
Original post by zikora
I didnt want to get the air because I felt like the memory was to small. I want to get the macbook pro. is there any minimum size of memory we should have?

I don't think so. It's really subjective. It depends what it's primarily for. If you are principally going to use Office and web browsing, then you won't need a lot of space. MacBook Pro is more for high powered programmes like photo and video editing, etc. I have had a MacBook Pro for 6 years. The speed is still amazing now, but they are so heavy (even the new retina model) compared to the air. I don't need it for video editing anymore: so I'm going to downgrade to something more portable.
Reply 1026
Original post by arty
I don't think so. It's really subjective. It depends what it's primarily for. If you are principally going to use Office and web browsing, then you won't need a lot of space. MacBook Pro is more for high powered programmes like photo and video editing, etc. I have had a MacBook Pro for 6 years. The speed is still amazing now, but they are so heavy (even the new retina model) compared to the air. I don't need it for video editing anymore: so I'm going to downgrade to something more portable.

I heard from someone that some of the apps dont come on the mac system and only run on the windows system, is that the case for EEE and do all the apps we would need be available for mac. because I dont reaLly use my laptop for anything major
Original post by zikora

I have a personal preference for windows laptops cos I like doing a lot of development stuff (being an aspiring engineer...) I work with arduinos and whatnot.. MacBooks are easy to use but totally not my thing.. If you run out of space you can always get an external USB hard drive

Are you starting this year?
Reply 1028
Original post by hexagonalRod
I have a personal preference for windows laptops cos I like doing a lot of development stuff (being an aspiring engineer...) I work with arduinos and whatnot.. MacBooks are easy to use but totally not my thing.. If you run out of space you can always get an external USB hard drive

Are you starting this year?

yes I'm starting this year. I'm so excited!
On the Bristol Union website they are selling the tickets for freshers.. The wristband costs £23 should I get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1030
Original post by bazinga_punk
On the Bristol Union website they are selling the tickets for freshers.. The wristband costs £23 should I get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

whats the link to get the tickets?
Original post by bazinga_punk

Posted from TSR Mobile

We can wait until we move in right? They won't sell out or anything..
Don't buy anything yet, wait til you move in and see what your friends are doing and what your JCR has organised. Otherwise you will waste a lot of money. Almost nothing is ever sold out, and even if it's officially sold out, you can easily find lots of people on facebook selling tickets because they bought them early and none of their friends are going so they want to sell them on.
Any second year law students selling books?
anyone know if the badock, non-basin rooms have any mirrors in them??
Apart from a pen and paper what else will we be needing for lectures.
I'm studying Maths and Computer Science, but I expect answers for other courses would also be useful.

On the CSS website it said that it'd be useful to run a Unix OS and gives a link (http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/) which leads to a 404. I was wondering if anyone had an updated link for this.
Does anyone know if lecture notes are given to us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 5676Ph03n1x
Apart from a pen and paper what else will we be needing for lectures.
I'm studying Maths and Computer Science, but I expect answers for other courses would also be useful.

Don't use a laptop in your Maths lectures. Pen and paper will suffice for those unless the lecturer has provided lecture notes then obviously you should bring them too.
I haven't lived in the UK for a while now so sorry if this seems a dumb question!
I was just wondering what ID is acceptable for getting into freshers events/clubs? Can student cards be used? I'm getting a validate UK proof of age card as well but want to be sure that it will be enough. Otherwise I only have a passport which seems risky!
Reply 1039
Original post by Welsh Ben
Does anyone know if lecture notes are given to us?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is entirely course-dependent, and perhaps even more annoyingly module-dependent. I'm a current bristol student and some of my modules provide you with the handouts (sometimes at the start of each lecture, and sometimes at the start of each module block), whilst others put them online and you can print out if you need to.

Latest

Trending

Trending