The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexmeh
Thank you so much!
And also thank you for taking your time demystifying questions from prospective students.

That's ok, you are welcome. I'm glad to be of help to people thinking about Cambridge! :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions
No, it will be your Psychology (AS), your English (AS & A2) and your History (AS & A2) divided by three.

So it would be:
191/200 (psych)
171/200 + 198/200 = 369/400 (eng)
164/200 + 190/200 = 354/400 (his)
Divided by 3?

Or, the average of:
96%
92% (overall)
88% (overall)

Sorry for the million questions, you're a saint! :')
Original post by scavi2008
So it would be:
191/200 (psych)
171/200 + 198/200 = 369/400 (eng)
164/200 + 190/200 = 354/400 (his)
Divided by 3?

Or, the average of:
96%
92% (overall)
88% (overall)

Sorry for the million questions, you're a saint! :':wink:

The second one (ish): 95.5 + 92.25 + 88.5 divided by 3 = 92.08%.

No problem, you are welcome! :smile:
Hello there, the quintile information is on the new official applicants thread......
Thanks for the mention, again. :smile:

Original post by scavi2008
Would this effect my overall UMS average/quintile placement?

AS: Psych (191/200), EngLit (171/200), History (164/200) and Spanish (169/200)
Top 3 average: 89%
Top 3 average of subjects continued to A2: 84%

A2: EngLit (198/200), History (190/200) and Spanish (170/200) and predicted A* in Psychology this year
Top 3 average: 93%

Overall A Level: 89% - not exceptional but I improved a lot between AS and A2! Also predicted another A*, which if achieved would raise my average.
Thank you!

Here you go. :smile:
In the "About Grades" section.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3554013&p=58964173#post58964173
Original post by vincrows
Thanks for the mention, again. :smile:

Here you go. :smile:
In the "About Grades" section.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3554013&p=58964173#post58964173

Always happy to plug what you and cobalt have done over there, not least cos it saves me scrolling back through the thread to find where I put that information! :smile:
Always happy to plug what you and cobalt have done over there, not least cos it saves me scrolling back through the thread to find where I put that information! :smile:

Thank you again. :smile:
That's the only sort of plugging I like in this forum To some other kinds like biased pluggings of their own colleges that can mislead a poster, I can be hostile. :biggrin:
Thank you again. :smile:
That's the only sort of plugging I like in this forum To some other kinds like biased pluggings of their own colleges that can mislead a poster, I can be hostile. :biggrin:

I'd never plug Christ's :angel:- always scrupulously fair minded and eager to avoid the wrath of vincrows! :biggrin:
I'd never plug Christ's :angel:- always scrupulously fair minded and eager to avoid the wrath of vincrows! :biggrin:

You're definitely better than some others.....:tongue:

*bows*

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're definitely better than some others.....:tongue:

High praise indeed! :smile:
High praise indeed! :smile:

Depends where the standard is....:biggrin:
Hello Admission Tutor,

I came on the CUSU shadowing course in January of this year and stayed at Christ's, loved it so much that I will be applying to Christ's! I am interested in MML specifically French and Ab initio Italian
I received my A level results last month and got:
French A 89%
Spanish A 92%
Economics A 84%
Politics B 74% (Anomalous as i got a high A in one module and a low C in the other, I am retaking the C module)

This averages to 89% in my best three subjects,
Im sure you get asked this often, but should these results rank me high enough to be likely to receive an interview?
as a side question, does choosing to continue with French to undergraduate despite my Spanish grade being better lessen my chances of receiving an offer? and does the combination of languages you choose make you more or less competitive?

Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends where the standard is....:biggrin:

Ouch! :smile:
Original post by KentLinguist
Hello Admission Tutor,

I came on the CUSU shadowing course in January of this year and stayed at Christ's, loved it so much that I will be applying to Christ's! I am interested in MML specifically French and Ab initio Italian
I received my A level results last month and got:
French A 89%
Spanish A 92%
Economics A 84%
Politics B 74% (Anomalous as i got a high A in one module and a low C in the other, I am retaking the C module)

This averages to 89% in my best three subjects,
Im sure you get asked this often, but should these results rank me high enough to be likely to receive an interview?
as a side question, does choosing to continue with French to undergraduate despite my Spanish grade being better lessen my chances of receiving an offer? and does the combination of languages you choose make you more or less competitive?

Thank you

hello there and delighted to hear that you liked Christ's. The CUSU Shadowing Scheme is a great thing.

Yes, you would get an interview with your grades. It's ok to drop Spanish rather than French - the difference between the two in your marks is not very great. It doesn't make you more or less competitive doing an ab initio or choosing a particular combination of languages - colleges want the strongest people not simply to keep numbers up in each language.

I hope that's helpful and do feel free to ask more if you wish. :smile:
hello there and delighted to hear that you liked Christ's. The CUSU Shadowing Scheme is a great thing.

Yes, you would get an interview with your grades. It's ok to drop Spanish rather than French - the difference between the two in your marks is not very great. It doesn't make you more or less competitive doing an ab initio or choosing a particular combination of languages - colleges want the strongest people not simply to keep numbers up in each language.

I hope that's helpful and do feel free to ask more if you wish. :smile:

Thanks for the quick response!

another question I do have is about the interview process, is it possible to be pooled after an interview? So to have an interview at Christs, and then to be pooled? or is all pooling done before interviews are assigned?
Original post by KentLinguist
Thanks for the quick response!

another question I do have is about the interview process, is it possible to be pooled after an interview? So to have an interview at Christs, and then to be pooled? or is all pooling done before interviews are assigned?

All pooling is done after the interviews. The college you apply to assesses your application first and, if it doesn't wish to make an offer, can (or in certain cases must if your best 3 is over 93%) put you in the Pool.
Hello,

I will be applying to Peterhouse (I know the admissions tutor for Peterhouse will be on soon but this is non-college specific) for engineering in the near future, and was wondering how the quintile system works, is it devised purely by exam marks or also admissions tests etc, and specifically with regards to the Scottish qualifications, as Higher / Advanced Higher are at a slightly higher level then AS / A2.

Also I just wanted to clarify what you meant when you said in certain cases people with best 3 over 93% have to be put in the pool instead of rejection, (are you guaranteed a place with top 3 > 93%??) and again how this translates to the Scottish Qualifications.

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
All pooling is done after the interviews. The college you apply to assesses your application first and, if it doesn't wish to make an offer, can (or in certain cases must if your best 3 is over 93%) put you in the Pool.

How often do you give out 10s for interviews? Do these people always get offers? :tongue:
Hi! :smile:

I'm applying for Natural Sciences this year, and recently received my AS results which were:
Physics (92%)
Maths (99%)
Chemistry (91%)
French (92%)

I am dropping chemistry, and was wondering if only having 2 science related A-levels (in physics and maths) would mean I would be less likely to receive an offer?

Thankyou!
Hi, I'm sure someone else will have asked about this at some point, sorry if they have, but does this discussion include postgraduate admissions as well as undergrad?

Latest

Trending

Trending