The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Uni of York extremely right-wing?

Hello,
So my friend started doing his degree at Uni of York this year and noticed that the university is extremely right-wing. Could someone let me know if this is true or not? I am more left-wing than right-wing and I was really planning to go to York until I found out about this. Is the right-wing attitude very obvious or is it just hints here and there? Do let me know your thoughts. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by saule1116
Hello,
So my friend started doing his degree at Uni of York this year and noticed that the university is extremely right-wing. Could someone let me know if this is true or not? I am more left-wing than right-wing and I was really planning to go to York until I found out about this. Is the right-wing attitude very obvious or is it just hints here and there? Do let me know your thoughts. :smile:

York is a predominantly white, however, the majority parties are a mix of Labour and Conservative in that area. If you are going to a certain uni based on politics then you need to grow up a bit first.
University of York
York
York is going to be full of overeducated upper middle class types I expect as it is a good uni. Expect economic illiteracy and identity politics.
Reply 3
Hello,

I have lots of friends there, they haven't mentioned any significant political bias (and I imagine they would).
Reply 4
Original post by sw651
York is a predominantly white, however, the majority parties are a mix of Labour and Conservative in that area. If you are going to a certain uni based on politics then you need to grow up a bit first.

I wouldn't quite say that this is matter of growing up as this isn't my main criteria when choosing a uni. All I'm saying is that I do not want to be surrounded by extreme conservatives on daily basis. Since York is mainly liberal, it was quite a shock to find out that Uni of York is not...
Reply 5
Original post by scrotgrot
York is going to be full of overeducated upper middle class types I expect as it is a good uni. Expect economic illiteracy and identity politics.

Yeah, but you could say the same about Newcastle, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Birmingham, just about any high ranking uni.
Reply 6
I wouldn't quite say that this is matter of growing up as this isn't my main criteria when choosing a uni. All I'm saying is that I do not want to be surrounded by extreme conservatives on daily basis. Since York is mainly liberal, it was quite a shock to find out that Uni of York is not...

That's good then, because it shouldn't matter, you are all adults there, you need to be tolerant of them as they are of you.

And conservatives are centre right really, I assume you mean more UKIP types.
Original post by sw651
Yeah, but you could say the same about Newcastle, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Birmingham, just about any high ranking uni.

Absolutely
Reply 8
Depends by location, for example, Oxford and Cambridge are likely Conservative or extreme left. But Manchester is likely a mix of labour/ conservative. Lincoln will be UKIP/Conservative
Reply 9
It varies by intake I guess, all are different.
Hi there,

Just so you're aware, the University has a broad range of student-run 'campaigning and political' societies which might be of interest:

Societies_political and campaigning.png

A full list of societies can be found here: http://bit.ly/1lGxtIh

Thanks,

Helen
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sw651

You mean because she doesn't agree with your politics she needs to grow up a bit first, yeah sure that's how it works doesn't it :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Little Popcorns
You mean because she doesn't agree with your politics she needs to grow up a bit first, yeah sure that's how it works doesn't it :rolleyes:

When did I ever say that?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think there's any uni in the country that could be described as 'extremely' right wing. Universities on a whole are left, some more than others. I know and have known a lot of York students, none would qualify as right wing.

The best way to challenge and develop your own opinions is to be faced with people who disagree, not surrounded by sycophants.
Reply 14

And also, I doubt you read what I actually said, I said what I meant, I stated that it was immature to base university choices on politics.

Most young Tories are socially liberal. You might find support for capitalism but I doubt you'll be walking into protests for the death penalty.

Your pretty sad if your saying that you won't be friends with people because they have opposing political views though.
Original post by sw651
And also, I doubt you read what I actually said, I said what I meant, I stated that it was immature to base university choices on politics.

How old are you? You don't even look like you're of uni age yet!

I think you're immature for thinking it's immature. At the end of the day it would be stupid to pick somewhere where she feels she doesn't fit in or resonate with a large majority of students it'll just make her miserable. It's not hard to believe that there might be a particular leaning at any given uni even if it doesn't account for every single student there.
Reply 17
How old are you? You don't even look like you're of uni age yet!

I think you're immature for thinking it's immature. At the end of the day it would be stupid to pick somewhere where she feels she doesn't fit in or resonate with a large majority of students it'll just make her miserable. It's not hard to believe that there might be a particular leaning at any given uni even if it doesn't account for every single student there.

Have you looked at my age? I think you will find you are wrong.

And why? I am entitled to my own opinion. Besides a university cannot discriminate. Clearly you are just a bit emotional, chill out.
Original post by Drewski

The best way to challenge and develop your own opinions is to be faced with people who disagree, not surrounded by sycophants.

Like has been said no uni is completely one way or the other on the political spectrum so that won't be a problem wherever she lands herself. Bare in mind that being an undergraduate is a new experience it will be the people that she can see eye to eye with the people that she will form bonds with that will keep her going through the experience, don't worry even if she goes to a uni people might consider to be a more left leaning than York, she won't be completely surrounded by everyone that is like minded, there will be a mix. She might have doubts about the general culture of the uni and this is just one of the checks she's making.
Original post by sw651
Have you looked at my age? I think you will find you are wrong.

And why? I am entitled to my own opinion. Besides a university cannot discriminate. Clearly you are just a bit emotional, chill out.
Have you been to uni?

I didn't say you weren't entitled to your opinions stop being pointlessly defensive.
I wasn't suggesting the uni was discriminating it's more likely to be down to who decides to go there. They don't ask you what your political leaning is on any UCAS forms.
"Clearly I'm a bit emotional just chill out?" Sorry not triggered, weak effort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending