The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just passed on my 4th test, my advice is don't give up!!! Just keep trying and you'll get there 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gabbie95
I have my driving test coming up next Wednesday at 9am and I'm so nervous, I feel like I've forgotten everything. Have you guys got any tips?

- Try to do a mock test with your instructor (in silence) before the test if you can
- In the lesson before the test, take it easy, practise anything you don't feel good on
- Get a good nights sleep
- Take some water with you. If you ever feel flustered, take a sip whenever you have to pull over
- On turnings/roundabouts don't panic if you feel like you are taking a while to get onto the road (especially roundabouts), its much better to wait a little longer for a safe gap (but also don't wait too long otherwise it might get you a hesitation minor)
- Try not to panic, focus on driving safely and being aware of everything around you (especially the cars around you/oncoming cars if you are turning right) and any pedestrians on the road that look like they may step into the road to cross

Original post by oceandxst
Just passed on my 4th test, my advice is don't give up!!! Just keep trying and you'll get there 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another 4th time pass for TSR, woop! Congrats :biggrin:

Original post by Suzanne Anderson
i failed today...heartbroken..10 minors and 2 serious. My nerves got the better of me totally. .how do people cope with the nerves??.I can't believe i actually left the handbrake on starting up!!durr!...and i sped at 36 on a 30 road..only briefly but it was enough. feel terrible.i have to do this ..

Lots of practise (I found driving in my dads car for 6 weeks helped my confidence), do mock tests with your instructor and practise everything so much you feel like you know it. Thats what helped my nerves :smile:
Failed first one at a box junction - not letting oncoming traffic turn first. Understandable!
Second one failed because i apparently drove too close to parked cars (although my driving instructor thought the opposite was true) but oh well

My theory then ran and I didnt drive for 6 years. Had to take the theory test again, The DVD practice test i bought was very hard which knocked my confidence as there were so many nnew questions (and some daft ones)......... but the actual theory test was easy. I'm glad the DVD was difficult now.

Third time last Oct was on the self drive (I was always concerned about this has they didnt have it on the tests before). I was following road signs for the airport. As i was approaching the round about I saw the sign but it was half covered so never got a good look. I was in the left lane and was approaching the second exit when I saw the correct exit. I checked around, with no cars around me so continued to go to the third exit. Failed on that. I don't think it was that bad but I can understand if cars we behind me it could have caused something. It's not something i'd normally do but hey it's a test and i was nervous.

Fourth test was two days ago - was nervous as hell. At this point was thinking am i ever going to pass. However, the test instructor was very nice. His instructions were very clear, he always repeated them twice and gave it in clear voice I can only describe as the voice you hear over tannoys at airports and supermarkets ^_^ . In fact I would say his instructions were a little too good as we started off with the self drive, but after most turns / exits / new roads I went on he told me where to go next (not that I am complaining). Thought I messed up on some indication bits .... I partly did as I got 3 minors on that (8 in total)... so i was surprised when i passed!!

Anyway... 6 years in total... none of you have the right to complain haha jk
Original post by dalehitchy
Failed first one at a box junction - not letting oncoming traffic turn first. Understandable!
Second one failed because i apparently drove too close to parked cars (although my driving instructor thought the opposite was true) but oh well

My theory then ran and I didnt drive for 6 years. Had to take the theory test again, The DVD practice test i bought was very hard which knocked my confidence as there were so many nnew questions (and some daft ones)......... but the actual theory test was easy. I'm glad the DVD was difficult now.

Third time last Oct was on the self drive (I was always concerned about this has they didnt have it on the tests before). I was following road signs for the airport. As i was approaching the round about I saw the sign but it was half covered so never got a good look. I was in the left lane and was approaching the second exit when I saw the correct exit. I checked around, with no cars around me so continued to go to the third exit. Failed on that. I don't think it was that bad but I can understand if cars we behind me it could have caused something. It's not something i'd normally do but hey it's a test and i was nervous.

Fourth test was two days ago - was nervous as hell. At this point was thinking am i ever going to pass. However, the test instructor was very nice. His instructions were very clear, he always repeated them twice and gave it in clear voice I can only describe as the voice you hear over tannoys at airports and supermarkets ^_^ . In fact I would say his instructions were a little too good as we started off with the self drive, but after most turns / exits / new roads I went on he told me where to go next (not that I am complaining). Thought I messed up on some indication bits .... I partly did as I got 3 minors on that (8 in total)... so i was surprised when i passed!!

Anyway... 6 years in total... none of you have the right to complain haha jk

Congrats :smile:
Hey! Thanks to everyone that wished me luck, I managed to pass this time, even though a bird did a poo on my windowscreen and I stalled and my test took like an hour!

Keep at it, just need the right circumstances on the day :smile: Good luck!
passed my test on my second go last week :biggrin: The first time I failed with 2 minors and 1 serious fault... The serious was for 'cutting in' (examiner's words) at a round about, and the two minors were for driving too slowly :s-smilie: Granted, it can hold traffic up but the roads were empty anyway!
Original post by Suzanne Anderson
i failed today...heartbroken..10 minors and 2 serious. My nerves got the better of me totally. .how do people cope with the nerves??.I can't believe i actually left the handbrake on starting up!!durr!...and i sped at 36 on a 30 road..only briefly but it was enough. feel terrible.i have to do this ..

If it's any consolation - I reversed into a kerb today after leaving my car in reverse and starting the engine :tongue: Likewise a girl at my college told me her car had been stalling and a red exclamation point was on her dashboard....she'd been driving with her handbrake on all morning haha.

My instructor told me that I needed to get my nerves under control because as soon as something that I didn't like happened it would affect the rest of my driving. I just sort of stopped caring about what was happening and tried to drive the best I could and focus on the road. Once you get it into your head that you can always retake the test if you mess it up, it doesn't seem so daunting. It's not like at school where you get given a grade and that's the end of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yess welldone I passed 4th time too...Never give up init #4thTimerz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here passed the 4th time on 1st of Feb. I have to say it has not sank in as of yet. but it's definitely an amazing feeling Passing your driving test :smile: so happy can't wait to get my car woooo
Well done to everyone who has passed recently :smile:
Original post by Badmantingz
Same here passed the 4th time on 1st of Feb. I have to say it has not sank in as of yet. but it's definitely an amazing feeling Passing your driving test :smile: so happy can't wait to get my car woooo

Congrats! another 4th time lucky :tongue:
I just failed my third time today too. It's so annoying. Every time I fail for something different, and always something which could have been a minor!!
Original post by cdunnegb
I just failed my third time today too. It's so annoying. Every time I fail for something different, and always something which could have been a minor!!
sorry dear , I know how u feel. But don't give up. U will pass one day , just like that. Wish u the best keep practise.
Who goes first on a triple roundabout (if the roundabout is really small and all lanes are close to eatherother)?
Original post by GeologyMaths
Who goes first on a triple roundabout (if the roundabout is really small and all lanes are close to eatherother)?

you called my lord?
Original post by GeologyMaths

In this situation , act first, indicate and trendy these triple rounds abouts separate. I know it's hard , but that's the only way ...
Original post by TeeEm
you called my lord?

What?
Original post by JBaguma
In this situation , act first, indicate and trendy these triple rounds abouts separate. I know it's hard , but that's the only way ...

Thnks i dont drive, i cycle, and it often leads to confusion
Congrats people that have passed :smile:

My test is around 12 on the 15th...Any tips?

Also I suffer from anxiety so any tablets or things that would help calm me down?... I have beta blockers too.
Original post by Badmantingz

Same here i passed on the 5th of Feb my 4th time too, I swear i was gonna give up if i hadn't passed this as I'm a good driver!! lol.
Congrats btw :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending