The Student Room Group

Dad said that he was glad i was a girl because of this..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefatone
not my dad no, because he was never as hard working and never gave as much attention or care as my mom was when it came to looking after me when i was growing up and going to school.

i definitely would for my mom, she doesn't deserve all the sh*t my dad gives her still to this day and everything she's done for me, wow i'd spend everything on her just so that she could have a better life.

Same, funnily enough I will feel like helping. my mum to the extent that i can cope with (preferably not personal care) , when i had anxiety growing up she had empathy and tried to help but my dad just called me loopy and a lazy bitch.
Original post by mkap
its admirable you would do that for your mu, my mum practically disowned her kids and didnt care for them anymore, no matter how angry and how much i hated her i still loved her and cared even when i didnt want to, its so complicated loving someone and hating then so much at the same time, i guess its because shes my mother

honestly my dad is your mum but 20x worse

you know when girls be like annoyed and you have like a scale of that?
like it probably starts off with ok then goes to not good, bad, terrible, then you have right at the top fine when you r super pissed?
well my dad's at that stage where he's such a **** about almost everything and the fact that he's cheery and smiley about it makes everything so much worse ;(
i dunno why that title made me laugh :colone:
Reply 23
Original post by Slutty Salafi
10?

:erm:

dude have you seen 10 year old girls these days?!
DADDY MY IPHONE BROKE *throws tantrum and starts screaming and crying til daddy promises to get another one*
Sexism at it's finest. That is not acceptable in the slightest OP. I'd happily look after my parents in their old age, I'd want to. But not because I am a woman and it would be my duty to...

As a side note, this is a perfect illustration of the type of sexism that exists in countries such as the UK. Yes it's not explicit oppression, such as what goes on in third world countries, but it is still worthy of attention. It's still a very damaging attitude.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
What did he do? Did he leave you? Abuse you? Or is he just strict?

Unless it's the former two, nothing qualifies a "I don't care what he'll do later on" statement - he's feeding you, housing you and even giving you internet to whine on TSR.

it's not really strict that's the killer on my dad. it's his carefreeness within the current situation our family is in.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3972501<--- i made this thread on some of the problems which have arised

Original post by Anonymous
Same, funnily enough I will feel like helping. my mum to the extent that i can cope with (preferably not personal care) , when i had anxiety growing up she had empathy and tried to help but my dad just called me loopy and a lazy bitch.

my mum does everything for me i owe almost everything to her.
my dad on the other hand , i guess i owe his something but just a little bit.
Original post by z33
dude have you seen 10 year old girls these days?!
DADDY MY IPHONE BROKE *throws tantrum and starts screaming and crying til daddy promises to get another one*

true dat

so many younger years in my school have grown f**king huge ego's and are too prideful
Reply 27
honestly my dad is your mum but 20x worse

you know when girls be like annoyed and you have like a scale of that?
like it probably starts off with ok then goes to not good, bad, terrible, then you have right at the top fine when you r super pissed?
well my dad's at that stage where he's such a **** about almost everything and the fact that he's cheery and smiley about it makes everything so much worse ;(

i feel bad for you, its a horrible feeling i know what its like, im so glad i have my dad through all this, hes honestly the best parent i could ask for and i have a stepmum whos been like a mum to me and cares so much, if you ever want to talk about it and let off steam then pm me :smile:
Original post by z33
well i mean when you were shitting yourself and puking all over him for like the first 3 years of your life, and then crying and snotting all over him til you were like 10, and he had to endure that so why dont you think about him for once?

Apparantly I was really quiet. Yea in the unlikely event that i have kids I wouldnt expect them to look after me when im old, they wouldnt owe it to me because I chose to bring them into the world. I would have had my life and it would make sense for them to have theirs not look after me.
Reply 29
true dat

so many younger years in my school have grown f**king huge ego's and are too prideful

ikr it's like bitch u want me to get the belt? :lol: but for real they don't know what privilege is ¬_¬
Reply 30
Original post by Anonymous
Apparantly I was really quiet. Yea in the unlikely event that i have kids I wouldnt expect them to look after me when im old, they wouldnt owe it to me because I chose to bring them into the world. I would have had my life and it would make sense for them to have theirs not look after me.

wow
that's like "i know you helped me and sacrificed so much for me and did everything to make sure i was growing up warm and comfortable and was raised right with good manners but i didn't ask you to did I because you decided to do this to yourself so i ain't owe you nothing"

.... you sound like a brat tbh :hand: that's a right **** you to your dad ngl if you were my child you'd get a spankin rn :lol:
Original post by mkap
i feel bad for you, its a horrible feeling i know what its like, im so glad i have my dad through all this, hes honestly the best parent i could ask for and i have a stepmum whos been like a mum to me and cares so much, if you ever want to talk about it and let off steam then pm me :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3972501<--- this thread i made to bitch about my dad :/ feel free to check it out

Original post by z33
ikr it's like bitch u want me to get the belt? :lol: but for real they don't know what privilege is ¬_¬

ik it's so annoying i seriously want to bitch slap those kids through a few walls
RE: kids looking after their parents in old age.

People having kids is a choice. When people have kids, they (for the most part) accept the responsibility that comes with that choice.

Looking after your parents as they descend into the mental chaos that is their 70s and 80s is also a choice. To suggest otherwise, in the vein of "your parents looked after you therefore you must look after them!", is emotional blackmail.

The parents asked for a kid. The result is their responsibility.
The kid didn't ask to be born, which kind of absolves them of any responsibility concerning "your parents did x therefore you must do x".

It's a rather black and white way of looking at things, granted. But I'm not becoming a carer to anyone during my golden years (or at any point in my life, actually. I hate people :h: ), regardless of what impact they had on my life.

Now before anyone loses their **** and completely misinterprets that, I'm not saying I won't do anything for my parents. If I've got the money then I'll make sure they're well looked after. I'll pop in from time to time and make sure, personally, that they're doing ok. But I ain't wiping their arses.

So for everyone who's saying that they'd love to be their parents carer when they're older because they owe it to them or however they're trying to justify their moral outrage against people who don't share the same opinion... good luck with that. You'll be bathroom buddies with the people who created you. And if that's what you want, congratulations on having more staying power than I.
Reply 33
Original post by mkap
wow you dont want to look after your parents after they looked after to and raised you your whole life. i owe everything to my parents, i would be a full time carer to them if i needed to.

This is why carers get paid so little of course.
Reply 34
Original post by moggis
This is why carers get paid so little of course.

this sounds like dumb logic, please expand
I will always help my parents whenever they need me. Yes, they've done many things that have made me raise my eyebrows but they've done even more things to make me happy and soon it will be my turn to act as the shoulder they can always rely on. :h:

Also, I've read so many horrible stories about care homes and how badly people have been treated there so now I have vowed that my parents won't be going to some random care home so they can just rot away all by themselves. Nada.
Original post by Drunk Punx
RE: kids looking after their parents in old age.

People having kids is a choice. When people have kids, they (for the most part) accept the responsibility that comes with that choice.

Looking after your parents as they descend into the mental chaos that is their 70s and 80s is also a choice. To suggest otherwise, in the vein of "your parents looked after you therefore you must look after them!", is emotional blackmail.

The parents asked for a kid. The result is their responsibility.
The kid didn't ask to be born, which kind of absolves them of any responsibility concerning "your parents did x therefore you must do x".

It's a rather black and white way of looking at things, granted. But I'm not becoming a carer to anyone during my golden years (or at any point in my life, actually. I hate people :h: ), regardless of what impact they had on my life.

Now before anyone loses their **** and completely misinterprets that, I'm not saying I won't do anything for my parents. If I've got the money then I'll make sure they're well looked after. I'll pop in from time to time and make sure, personally, that they're doing ok. But I ain't wiping their arses.

So for everyone who's saying that they'd love to be their parents carer when they're older because they owe it to them or however they're trying to justify their moral outrage against people who don't share the same opinion... good luck with that. You'll be bathroom buddies with the people who created you. And if that's what you want, congratulations on having more staying power than I.

pretty much, i did this for you thus you must do it for me too.
that's not how things work in this world we are free to choose what we want
this is exactly what i'll do with my mum(much less for my dad but i'll still do it)
Original post by morgan8002
I could parse the incorrect use of punctuation, but I don't understand your father's quote. After isn't a verb, so the sentence is nonsensical.

Dear gods it's obviously meant to be 'look after', geez.

I bet you're tipping your fedora right now.
Reply 38
No way would I look after my dad he's a no good scumbag and deserves everything he gets no way.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Sexism at it's finest. That is not acceptable in the slightest OP. I'd happily look after my parents in their old age, I'd want to. But not because I am a woman and it would be my duty to...

As a side note, this is a perfect illustration of the type of sexism that exists in countries such as the UK. Yes it's not explicit oppression, such as what goes on in third world countries, but it is still worthy of attention. It's still a very damaging attitude.

Some people say that a womens moral obligation and 'caring'nature has very much been taken advantage of throughout history. They have throughout history provided free labour in caring roles for neighbours, friends, family and have made up the majority of voluntary workers in caring roles. Men have had more of a business head on them and tend to get paid for their daily duties. Not saying that men have had it easy its not all one way. Of course many men have had to die for their families and countries in wars and dangerous jobs so their 'physical strength' has also been taken advantage of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending