The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Eating meat in 2016 is stupid, and I do not see why people still eat meat

To beat.......
Because they are degenerate
Original post by Student403
I can accept that but half the people on this thread arguing against meat keep spouting out the same "not enough food argument" and don't seem to understand that it is false

I understand your point, however, if we didn't grow food for animals less deforestation would take place and therefore it will be better for the environment.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Because it tastes good and I'm a monster because I don't care about the ethics.

Is that the answer you were looking for?

Hey, at least I try to avoid halal and kosher-slaughtered meat. Obviously I prefer it if the animal is slaughtered humanely.

People thinking like you are what puts the world at danger. We are killing the planet, future generations will wonder why we didn't listen. Our Amazon rainforest will be gone in only ten years due to cattle grazing. You are paying people to empty our oceans, pollute our waters with animal waste, make millions starve because more food goes to the animals than humans. For once in your life can't you consider doing something for the whole world? We have to work as a team to save it.
Original post by Wolfegirl98
image.jpeg
A strong animal like this does not need animal protein so why do humans. The intestines of a lion are extremely short compared to ours making it suitable for fast digestion of meat, our intestines are extremely long and do not break it down as well, I'm just touching the surface of this, but to conclude we are NOT designed to eat meat. We are designed to eat plants. There is no such thing as protein deficiency, every plant grown from the ground gives us protein. Research vegan body builders. They are living proof that you can be built up without having to have dead animals inside your body.

What do you mean we are not designed to eat meat. Surely the fact that we have canines, a system that allows us to digest meat, and the ability to benefit from eating it proves otherwise?
Original post by champ_mc99
What do you mean we are not designed to eat meat. Surely the fact that we have canines, a system that allows us to digest meat, and the ability to benefit from eating it proves otherwise?

Gorillas have huge canines.
I eat meat because I like meat and I don't have any problem at all with the idea of killing an animal for food.

I do feel quite strongly that stronger steps should be taken to protect animal welfare while they are alive, but I'm not going to change anything by depriving myself of meat so :dontknow:
Original post by cookiejjch
I understand your point, however, if we didn't grow food for animals less deforestation would take place and therefore it will be better for the environment.

The environmental point is fair enough (assuming you have stats)
I can accept that but half the people on this thread arguing against meat keep spouting out the same "not enough food argument" and don't seem to understand that it is false

Tell me how it's faulse?

http://www.live58.org/can-becoming-a-vegetarian-end-world-hunger

http://www.earthoria.com/global-hunger-the-more-meat-we-eat-the-fewer-people-we-can-feed.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-holt-gimenez/world-hunger_b_1463429.html

Less cattle = more food + more land for crops + less starvation
Why do people eat vegetables? Aren't they too living things if you think about it? They grow, they reproduce, they die. Very much like animals. And who says they don't feel pain
The environmental point is fair enough (assuming you have stats)

I hate to quote videos but if you are interested in why I'm vegan, watch Cowspiracy for my environmental reasons.

From your first link

In fact, the world already grows enough food to feed every person, so hunger is often caused by other matters such as corrupt governments and inefficient food distribution.
Original post by Bobjim12
Why do people eat vegetables? Aren't they too living things if you think about it? They grow, they reproduce, they die. Very much like animals. And who says they don't feel pain

Vegetables aren't considered sentient and therefore are not animals.

*face palm* Not only do most mammals, including herbivores, have canine teeth; but the largest canine teeth of any land mammal belong to a true herbivore: the hippopotamus. their canines are used for combat and play no role in feeding. THEY EAT GRASS. Other herbivores with canines include the gorilla, sabertoothed deer, baboon, camel, may I go on?
Please put a live rabbit in your mouth and see if you can kill it?
Gorillas have huge canines.

But I'm assuming they're used for grinding into hard material (like twigs or something?).
Yes, but not meat, like you implied were their sole use.

But I'm assuming they're used for grinding into hard material (like twigs or something?).

From your third link

The world already produces more than 1 ½ times enough food to feed everyone on the planet. That’s enough to feed 10 billion people, the population peak we expect by 2050.
*face palm* Not only do most mammals, including herbivores, have canine teeth; but the largest canine teeth of any land mammal belong to a true herbivore: the hippopotamus. their canines are used for combat and play no role in feeding. THEY EAT GRASS. Other herbivores with canines include the gorilla, sabertoothed deer, baboon, camel, may I go on?
Please put a live rabbit in your mouth and see if you can kill it?

But you say we're not "designed" to eat meat which I think is not true. We're not designed to be cannibals because it can cause severe health problems and can wipe us out (excluding obvious moral values). I think the benefits of us eating meat outweighs the health risks. Like I said we do benefit majorly from eating meat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, but not meat, like you implied were their sole use.

But our use can be for eating meat (which they are).
image.jpeg
A strong animal like this does not need animal protein so why do humans. The intestines of a lion are extremely short compared to ours making it suitable for fast digestion of meat, our intestines are extremely long and do not break it down as well, I'm just touching the surface of this, but to conclude we are NOT designed to eat meat. We are designed to eat plants. There is no such thing as protein deficiency, every plant grown from the ground gives us protein. Research vegan body builders. They are living proof that you can be built up without having to have dead animals inside your body.
We're optimised for eating both. Our digestive systems are suited to a mixed diet, and that's a simple physiological fact. I'm not saying we need to eat meat, I'm just saying that our body is designed to handle it. If it wasn't, eating meat would make us ill.

Yes, you can live on only plants, like the gorilla in your picture. It is a valid life choice. But that is a different species, with a different evolutionary heritage and a different set of parameters governing how it lives; using it as an example, even momentarily, makes everything else you say rather less credible, if I'm honest.

If you want to complain about things we're not designed to eat, complain about processed grain. Processed grain is unhealthy, and causes more dietary problems than any other food type.

Latest