The Student Room Group

Please help. I need to know what degree to do.

I am really stuck, I just need advice. I am taking Maths, Chemistry and History A-Levels and Physics AS and I am stuck between Law and Economics as a degree choice. I have a few questions:
- Which is harder to get into?
- What are career prospects like?
- Are they suited to my A-Levels?

I always find myself reading about Law or Economics in the news and I think I would thoroughly enjoy both, that's why this decision is hard!
For economics you can get away without having studied it at A level. You need maths which you have.
Economics it depends where you are applying. You need to look at Ucas an required points. the best places will be hard and the places with lower aademics you cna get into relatively ok. Look at the UCAS site.

Career propsects again depends what you wnat to do and with what employer. If you went to a top uni and did economics hen you might be able to get into a bank in the city and earn a high salary. You have to be very good though. I'd imagine prospects are only limited by your ability.
Uoir A levels are fine.

For law, then there are no requirements on subjects.
Law tends to be very competitive to get onto A*AA is typical.

Careers prospects again it depends if you are good. If you are then you cna make a steady well paying careers in the city or regions. Its very competitive. theres a further vocational stage called the LPC which a good employer will pay for and a 2 year training contract for which you get a reasonable salary, which jumps by almost 50-100% on qualifying.

If you are very good then you cna make good money which rises every year, but if you are average, then you might not get a training contract and could end up thousands in debt. Grads matter.
Original post by 999tigger
Law tends to be very competitive to get onto A*AA is typical.

This is Cambridge's typical offer, not the average.

AAB is probably the minimum from a decent uni.
Reply 3
Pick out of a hat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abstract_Prism
This is Cambridge's typical offer, not the average.

AAB is probably the minimum from a decent uni.

Having lookedm then yes i see A*AA is Cambridge, Oxford is AAA on what I was looking at but really most of the other decent Unis are the same, theres not much difference at all.
Reply 5
Original post by Makbkuan
Pick out of a hat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or just flip a coin because he's only got two choices anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest