The Student Room Group

New electric car unveiled by Tesla

Thoughts? I think it is really cool. I kind of hope they will be the future and we will be able to find a way to produce electricity cheaper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35940302

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Batteries need to get a hell of a lot better before electric cars are viable.

Hydrogen is by far the better idea.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski

Hydrogen, at present, is far less viable than electric. Producing hydrogen costs a lot of energy, and produces greenhouse gases too.

And with a 200 mile range, I'd say the new Tesla car is pretty viable for everyday use.
Reply 3
Original post by Dez
And with a 200 mile range, I'd say the new Tesla car is pretty viable for everyday use.

I'll reserve judgement until we see what that is in the real world - those figures (like emissions) have rarely been accurate.
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
I'll reserve judgement until we see what that is in the real world - those figures (like emissions) have rarely been accurate.

Tesla have two cars out already.
Reply 5
Original post by Dez
Tesla have two cars out already.

The performances of which have been mixed, often failing to get the range advertised. Hence my comment.
Original post by Drewski

Hydrogen is the future, and it always will be.
Original post by Drewski

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about. Tesla is hugely successful already, the reason they don't advertise is because Musk is against advertising. He has enough faith in his product that electric cars will be dominant very soon. He doesn't even care if competitors attempt to follow suit he's opened up the template to everyone. It's in the worlds interest to move towards electric vehicles.
Reply 8
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Dude, you don't know what you're talking about. Tesla is hugely successful already.

They're $600m in debt.

Electric cars are a good idea, they're just not good yet. Battery technology isn't good enough yet.
Original post by Drewski
They're $600m in debt.

Electric cars are a good idea, they're just not good yet. Battery technology isn't good enough yet.

The main reason they are in debt is due to significant investment in R and D as a company their sales are strong.
Why do people go on about hydrogen why are people not buying hydrogen cars if they are so good. The batteries go down in price by 8% every year and are constantly improving. If I had the money I would consider buying the new tesla
Reply 11
Original post by The Socktor
Hydrogen is the future, and it always will be.

...meaning it will never be viable?
Original post by Drewski

Hydrogen likes blowing up which could be problematic.
Original post by Drewski
They're $600m in debt.

Which is why companies like Tesla are needed to create the demand for better battery technology. Prior to Tesla, the main reason to invest in research in storing electricity was for phones and most people don't care so long as they last 24 hours. This gives a real incentive for serious research and the overall effect will be felt in other industries such as renewable energy for homes.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
Which is why companies like Tesla are needed to create the demand for better battery technology. Prior to Tesla, the main reason to invest in research in storing electricity was for phones and most people don't care so long as they last 24 hours. This gives a real incentive for serious research and the overall effect will be felt in other industries such as renewable energy for homes.

I don't deny that you need companies to create the technology, but there's no point pretending that the second generation of that technology has perfected it. It hasn't.

Are they along the right lines? Sure.
Are they there yet? No.

Original post by Bernie2016
Hydrogen likes blowing up which could be problematic.

Hydrogen concept cars have had no issue. Their only by product is water. Their range will greatly exceed electric cars.
Original post by Drewski
I don't deny that you need companies to create the technology, but there's no point pretending that the second generation of that technology has perfected it. It hasn't.

Are they along the right lines? Sure.
Are they there yet? No.

I agree and I'm not making that claim. When you buy a Tesla, you buy it under the belief that you are supporting something which will create a better future. Right now the difference in price between a Tesla and a comparable conventional vehicle is so great that with that difference, you could purchase enough carbon bonds to offset the difference in emissions over the lifetimes of the two cars, dozens of times over.

In the past I'm sure the combustion engine was slower than a horse, but that didn't stop progress.
The Model 3 is a reasonable car for the price.
The model S looks pretty badass in person.
Hydrogen is the way forward though!
The reason people arent buying hydrogen powered cars is because 1. There only 9 filling stations in the uk, 2. There arent many options currently and 3. People arent convinced about the safety (even though its safer than petrol).
If there were more filling stations, i would absolutely buy one!
Electric cars arent the way forward.
Original post by Drewski
Hydrogen concept cars have had no issue. Their only by product is water. Their range will greatly exceed electric cars.

Well, considering they're much less efficient than electrics... yeah. Also, while on paper the range might be better, when you consider the fact that there are almost 4000 charging stations in the UK and at most about 20 hydrogen stations, I think electrics are still a little more viable for the time being at least.
Original post by GMQ
...meaning it will never be viable?

Maybe, but not for a while that's for sure. People have been claiming that hydrogen is the future for decades, meanwhile electrics have actually begun reaching the market and with much less investment.
I heard it might take until 2018 to get the cars being ordered now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending