The Student Room Group

Should I learn to drive?

I'n 23 now and I really want to start driving. I wasn't that bothered about it before because I live in a city where you can pretty much walk everywhere and it didn't particularly interest me til now.

Also because I am hugely anxious I'm scared I'd be putting other people at risk. I feel like I'd suddenly panic and just swerve into a wall or another car. I know that the driving instructor will have dual controls but I'm worried about when I'm on my own?

But that said, recently I've been feeling like it would be a really good skill to have, give me a lot more independence and open up more opportunities for me.

There's a lot of things I feel like I 'can't' do because I'm a huge worrier. I even feel like I can't go to the gym or shops on my own, but I've been making myself go and challenge myself and I think it's getting easier..?

Sometimes I can't even get out of the house because I get myself in such a pickle.

I have this fear of not being able to do things and being incompetent, which I feel in turn almost makes me incompetent at them because I'm too worried about it so I can't do it properly.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
go for it. the only way to stop feeling like you can't do something is to give it a try..
Original post by tinkerbelle2
I'n 23 now and I really want to start driving. I wasn't that bothered about it before because I live in a city where you can pretty much walk everywhere and it didn't particularly interest me til now.

Also because I am hugely anxious I'm scared I'd be putting other people at risk. I feel like I'd suddenly panic and just swerve into a wall or another car. I know that the driving instructor will have dual controls but I'm worried about when I'm on my own?

But that said, recently I've been feeling like it would be a really good skill to have, give me a lot more independence and open up more opportunities for me.

There's a lot of things I feel like I 'can't' do because I'm a huge worrier. I even feel like I can't go to the gym but I've been making myself go and I think it's getting easier..?

Sometimes I can't even get out of the house because I get myself in such a pickle.

I have this fear of not being able to do things and being incompetent, which I feel in turn almost makes me incompetent at them because I'm too worried about it so I can't do it properly.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd suggest learning to drive. It's just a skill that's ideal to have.
When I was around 17 my uncle told me to just learn to drive! He said "I didn't learn until I was 25 and I regretted it so much." He continued "Just learn to drive, and even if you don't get a car, it's a skill that'll stay with you forever and once it's done, it's done" and I never regretting it. I did my theory and test as soon as possible and ended up getting a car straight away. I don't always need it but it's so helpful because it gives me freedom.

You've just got to push yourself and give it ago. The driving instructor will cater to what you feel comfortable with. You'll start off on quieter streets that they know well and they won't move you further until they can see you are comfortable with basic driving.

Good luck!
the only way you will stop worrying is to do it, and to be honest it sounds like this is holding you back in general so perhaps you should try and challenge your anxieties across the board - once you start doing it things start to feel a little easier
Reply 4
:yep:
I want to learn how to start driving but I am scared that I am going to crash. :cry2:
I would highly reccomend learning to drive. Its a valuable skill to have and it may come in handy one day.
The instructor will guide you through everything you need to do and as you said, they do have dual controls so youre not gonna crash.

Its a bit strange when you go out on your own for the first few tims. But just relax and do everything youve learned and youll be fine. Soon after it becomes second nature really.

Absolutely go for it! Yoh will feel a sense of acheivement once youve passed your test. You also unlock a new level of freedom because you can go where you want, when you want.
I hope you go for it. Dont worry about it because your instructor will help you as much as they can. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending