The Student Room Group

Can I do Medicine if I am very quiet?

I really do enjoy talking to people and the patient contact makes Medicine very interesting. However, I feel that I am too quiet. I can talk when I need to but I struggle in group discussions. I am also really worried about interviews as I know I can make the grades if I work hard enough.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by littleheron
I really do enjoy talking to people and the patient contact makes Medicine very interesting. However, I feel that I am too quiet. I can talk when I need to but I struggle in group discussions. I am also really worried about interviews as I know I can make the grades if I work hard enough. I may have some sort of social anxiety.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Well can you talk to strangers confidently? You can always volunteer at a charity shop and communicate with customers to improve your communication skills.
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
Well can you talk to strangers confidently? You can always volunteer at a charity shop and communicate with customers to improve your communication skills.

Yes I can mange that quite easily. 1 to 1 is easy for me. Im just worried because at interviews where there are maybe 5 interviewers, I will find it a lot more difficult.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes. So long as you don't generally have a problem talking to people (i.e. you can make eye contact, talk clearly, get your point across etc), you don't have to be a particularly chatty person otherwise. You've mentioned social anxiety, what do you mean by that?

Interviews are nerve-wracking for nearly everyone - the interviewers will know this, and they won't be expecting perfection. In the weeks leading up to the interview you could arrange a few practice interviews with friends/family members to get your confidence up, or practice in front of a mirror.

Also you might be interested to know that many medical schools are now moving away from the traditional panel grilling style of interview and now use MMIs, which are meant to give a more complete picture of the applicant's abilities.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Yes. So long as you don't generally have a problem talking to people (i.e. you can make eye contact, talk clearly, get your point across etc), you don't have to be a particularly chatty person otherwise. You've mentioned social anxiety, what do you mean by that?

Interviews are nerve-wracking for nearly everyone - the interviewers will know this, and they won't be expecting perfection. In the weeks leading up to the interview you could arrange a few practice interviews with friends/family members to get your confidence up, or practice in front of a mirror.

Also you might be interested to know that many medical schools are now moving away from the traditional panel grilling style of interview and now use MMIs, which are meant to give a more complete picture of the applicant's abilities.

I think ive just been overthinking this too much. Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it!
Reply 5
I'm a quiet person but I still applied for medicine, you just have to be able to talk comfortably when required and that comes with experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending