The Student Room Group

Help in CIE maths 0580 past paper question please!

the distance from Hong Kong to Johannesburg is 10712km.
The plane uses fuel at the rate of 1 litre for every 59metres travelled.Calculate the number of litres of fuel used for the journey from johannesburg to Hong Kong.Give your answers in standard form

(seem to have trouble at the end)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Abdullah IGCSE
the distance from Hong Kong to Johannesburg is 10712km.
The plane uses fuel at the rate of 1 litre for every 59metres travelled.Calculate the number of litres of fuel used for the journey from johannesburg to Hong Kong.Give your answers in standard form

(seem to have trouble at the end)

Hey, hope this helps:

step 1) write in terms of ratios-

1km:1000m (cross multiply)
10712: x
now we know x= 10712000m

Step 2) again use ratios -

1litre:59m
x :10712000(use your answer previously calculated)
now we know x=181559.3

*Mentioned in the question to write in standard form, so you write this answer in standard form*

Final answer: 1.82 x10^-5

"^" means raised to the power of -5
hope this helped out :smile: oh and next time please mention the year and paper 2 when you ask a question :") best of luck
Reply 2
Hey do you know the answer? I worked it out but i just want to confirm it before i post the working :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Hafsa_gee
Hey, hope this helps:

step 1) write in terms of ratios-

1km:1000m (cross multiply)
10712: x
now we know x= 10712000m

Step 2) again use ratios -

1litre:59m
x :10712000(use your answer previously calculated)
now we know x=181559.3

*Mentioned in the question to write in standard form, so you write this answer in standard form*

Final answer: 1.82 x10^-5

"^" means raised to the power of -5
hope this helped out :smile: oh and next time please mention the year and paper 2 when you ask a question :":wink: best of luck

youre saying that plane needs 0.0000182 litres of fuel
should be ten to the power of +5
Thanks to all! especially hafsa_gee and btw its to the power of +5 thanks tas1998
Reply 5
Original post by tas1998
youre saying that plane needs 0.0000182 litres of fuel
should be ten to the power of +5

sorry, my bad.. yes it is to the power of positive 5 :colondollar:
Reply 6
Thanks to all! especially hafsa_gee and btw its to the power of +5 thanks tas1998

You're welcome :smile: btw will you be giving 2016 IGCSE?
Yes im doing the IGCSE this year :frown: got horrible teachers and im scared i wont score that A or A* in maths :frown:
Yes im doing the IGCSE this year :frown: got horrible teachers and im scared i wont score that A or A* in maths :frown:

trust me a star in math 0580 is very easy
Original post by yoloman123
trust me a star in math 0580 is very easy

My exams are near how???
Don't worry about it mate, my teacher isn't that great either. I've found the best way to score good grades in math by practicing. i'd say you practice several years starting (2010-2015) btw where are you giving the exam? (country) that will decide which variant you must focus on (although there isn't much of a big difference)
Original post by Hafsa_gee
Don't worry about it mate, my teacher isn't that great either. I've found the best way to score good grades in math by practicing. i'd say you practice several years starting (2010-2015) btw where are you giving the exam? (country) that will decide which variant you must focus on (although there isn't much of a big difference)

Hey hafsa i live in Oman administration zone 4 i was taking edexcel last year and moved to CIE. Despite the fact i have a bad teacher he gave us all the papers of 2013-2015(paper 4).I haven't covered exactly everything i need. I've done all of the 2013 papers(paper 4) but not in exam condition.Yesterday i did my first exam condition one and i got a B :/ i want a minimum of A in maths and i really feel concerned now
the 2010 papers i beileve are out of date of the current syllabus as they removed shears,stretches & sine & cosine graphs
(edited 8 years ago)
I do really bad at circle theorems its my weakness at maths and also vector geometry :s-smilie:
the 2010 papers i beileve are out of date of the current syllabus as they removed shears,stretches & sine & cosine graphs

You're absolutely right, but you see we rarely come across those questions i guess once every now and then but i don't think it should stop us from practicing those years. Alhamdullilah, i've seen myself improve by the load of practice
Hey hafsa i live in Oman administration zone 4 i was taking edexcel last year and moved to CIE. Despite the fact i have a bad teacher he gave us all the papers of 2013-2015(paper 4).I haven't covered exactly everything i need. I've done all of the 2013 papers(paper 4) but not in exam condition.Yesterday i did my first exam condition one and i got a B :/ i want a minimum of A in maths and i really feel concerned now

Hey, don't let the grades upset you :smile: I got a B In my mocks as well, because we weren't prepared enough. Also, we get graded for our working so even if you miss a little here and there you can still score marks... Worrying will get you no where bruv, chill and give it your best. Practice as much as possible and leave on God the rest
I do really bad at circle theorems its my weakness at maths and also vector geometry :s-smilie:

I was horrible at the circle theorems, but like i mentioned earlier i sort of improved...i owe it to the hours of practice. I'd recommend you practice three variants a day and don't forget to time yourself :smile:

ps. i still suck at vectors xD

I think it would be best of you check with your friends or your teacher about the variant, because i actually have no clue. sorry :frown: as far as i know, i'll be giving variant 2 but i don't live in Oman

Quick Reply

Latest