The Student Room Group

School won't allow study leave!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davist
My school is not allowing study leave as they claim that 'studies' show students attending school before exams results in better exam results. However, I feel like I am able to accomplish much more when at home, since I have the whole day purely dedicated to revision. I feel as though going to school will disadvantage me from reaching the grades I want, so should I fall 'ill' on some days, or should I simply just go to school?

Yes because it doesn't matter, what truly matters is that you're willing to work and study hard and do lots of revision.

Granted, sometimes i feel like working elsewhere.

Best thing about going to school is that teachers are always there to help you, so any problems you can just ask them and they can help whereas at home you might not have that privilege.

Honestly you should go to school, it shouldn't matter where you work if you truly are concentrated on revision, yes we have places were we are more comfortable revising but that doesn't stop you doing just as much work somewhere else.

Maybe because you believe that you'll get less work done, you actually do get less work done because possibly you distract yourself with friends etc and talking to others.
Reply 21
Original post by nisha.sri
No i don't really want my attendance to decrease so i would have to attend school. I know right :smile: I guess i just have to stick with it and do lots during the weekends. What are you planning to do?

I definitely intend to take some days off, and I don't mind too much about attendance since its the end of the year. Why are you so concerned about your attendance if you don't mind me asking? :smile: It shouldn't matter now anyway
Original post by davist
My school is not allowing study leave as they claim that 'studies' show students attending school before exams results in better exam results. However, I feel like I am able to accomplish much more when at home, since I have the whole day purely dedicated to revision. I feel as though going to school will disadvantage me from reaching the grades I want, so should I fall 'ill' on some days, or should I simply just go to school?

our school seems to think nobody will revise if we got study leave, I would, I wish I had study leave :colonhash:
Reply 23
Yes, just say ur ill. I took today off and im doing the same tomorrow
Original post by Vikingninja
Are you having a laugh? You cannot be serious with that comment.

Very unlikely to happen to get more work done outside of class. Also my school allowed us more flexibility during what should've been our study leave.

Jesus christ... Speak for yourself. You sound a bit daft. Not everyone is privileged enough to have teachers who can properly teach. The reason I went in study leave during my AS is because there was a month to my exams and we still had 5 chapters of Unit 2 biology we hadn't even started. Our teacher just made us play that retarded game where you guess the word above your head all lesson.

Maths is another one where attending lessons is pointless once you've covered all the content. I definitely covered much more at home. I intend to have an unofficial study leave this year too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by caitlinford3
our school seems to think nobody will revise if we got study leave, I would, I wish I had study leave :colonhash:

I think it would be reasonable for schools to make some exceptions, certainly when some students are predicted a considerable number of A*'s because surely they wouldn't use study leave as a means of doing nothing.
Original post by Lawliettt
Jesus christ... Speak for yourself. You sound a bit daft. Not everyone is privileged enough to have teachers who can properly teach. The reason I went in study leave during my AS is because there was a month to my exams and we still had 5 chapters of Uniy 2 biology we hadn't even started. Our teacher just made us play that retarded game where you guess the word above your head all lesson.

Maths is another one where attending lessons is pointless once you've covered all the content.

So why didn't you complain about your teacher?
Reply 27
Original post by Lawliettt
Jesus christ... Speak for yourself. You sound a bit daft. Not everyone is privileged enough to have teachers who can properly teach. The reason I went in study leave during my AS is because there was a month to my exams and we still had 5 chapters of Uniy 2 biology we hadn't even started. Our teacher just made us play that retarded game where you guess the word above your head all lesson.

Maths is another one where attending lessons is pointless once you've covered all the content.

Toned it down a bit with the edit? :biggrin:
Stop being a pussy and take it off. I have a 65% attendence rating in my sixth form (I already have russell group uni offers btw) and they don't care much because of the grades I'm getting. If you know you can achieve more at home then **** it just don't go in. Its 2 months it should be fine to be honest
Are you having a laugh? You cannot be serious with that comment.

I think it is a legitimate concern tbh. People work better in different environments, and I know that personally I get less work done in school often because all of my friends are there. Plus the school timetable is very very rigid, and doesn't allow you to be flexible with what you study and when, e.g. if you had say a biology exam the next day that you wanted to revise for you might instead be forced to do history revision for an exam that is a month away, which is a negative side to having no study leave. For some people, I'm sure that having no study leave will help them to be productive but for others it is a bad thing
So why didn't you complain about your teacher?

No point. My school was a mess anyway. Plus we were already understaffed so he'd only be replaced with a cover teacher.

But that's besides the point. This isn't meant to be a personal sob story. It's showing not everyone is in a situation where school is the best option. Study leave is the reason my grades turned out fine. I prefer doing constant past papers over sitting in school with a teacher trying to make us do easy exercises from the board with classmates distracting me. Plus my journey to school is an hour bus ride. It's a waste of time
i got study leaveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
There's a thing called half term.
Original post by davist

if you work better at home then you should fall 'ill' regularly. There is no point going to school if you can do more at home
We're not allowed it either. I'm not too fussed, to be honest, as I feel I study better in school. No distractions.
Original post by davist
I definitely intend to take some days off, and I don't mind too much about attendance since its the end of the year. Why are you so concerned about your attendance if you don't mind me asking? :smile: It shouldn't matter now anyway

Oh no it's for my sixth form :smile: They want me to have a good attendance :smile:
Original post by davist
I think it would be reasonable for schools to make some exceptions, certainly when some students are predicted a considerable number of A*'s because surely they wouldn't use study leave as a means of doing nothing.

exactly - but I guess the rule has to go for everyone as people complain as they won't allow it, I believe I can take study leave after the 17th June when the rest of the year pretty much has left and it's only triple science exams left, because they trust us to revise, but I guess it's annoying that I have to sit in lessons that I'm confident with / not having as much time to revise subjects I'm less confident with. Maybe its because I'm just at a state comprehensive:colonhash:
Reply 37
Original post by Fractite
There's a thing called half term.

Thanks for telling me something I didn't know.
Reply 38
Original post by davist

Same. My year are doing quite bad so I understand where my school is coming from but I could do with not wasting half a day at school doing minimal work then coming home half asleep.
Original post by davist
Thanks for telling me something I didn't know.

Don't worry at least you can get things done at school :biggrin: and at home :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest