The Student Room Group

not showing up to an exam?

ive seen some posts on the internet talking about the consequences of not showing up to exams but i dont know whether theyre still applicable now so

what could happen if i didnt show up to my two english lit exams?
i literally know none of the content and i didnt complete my coursework. i wanted to drop it but the person who decides that in my school is really tough on dropping exams + i already dropped all of chemistry (C1, C2 & C3) last year and after school ad maths and french for this year. i know my camhs worker would support me on this but:/

edit: please stop telling me that not showing up is daft and that i should sit it. i didnt ask for your opinion. i just want to know what the consequences of skipping it could be.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You need a gcse in english and maths
Original post by kirigiri
ive seen some posts on the internet talking about the consequences of not showing up to exams but i dont know whether theyre still applicable now so

i literally know none of the content and i didnt complete my coursework. i wanted to drop it but the person who decides that in my school is really tough on dropping exams + i already dropped all of chemistry (C1, C2 & C3) last year and after school ad maths and french for this year. i know my camhs worker would support me on this but:/

As if your school let you drop chemistry.. Wtf?
If you don't show up then you'll be awarded a U.
Do you plan on going to university?
You dropped maths too?! I'm done. Then there's my school who wouldn't let me drop food tech.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ScienceFantatic
As if your school let you drop chemistry.. Wtf?
If you don't show up then you'll be awarded a U.
Do you plan on going to university?
You dropped maths too?! I'm done. Then there's my school who wouldn't let me drop food tech.

please dont be rude. im obviously not dropping subjects for no reason.
i dropped chemistry because im in a triple set. my class sat all of the three chemistry exams last year - i missed them (plus the ISA) due to absence. (my attendance last year was very poor - it ended on around 75%, but that included camhs appointments and the lessons i attended for an online school trial). my science teacher stated that i needed to have two good science gcses, and saw no reason why they couldnt be physics and biology as opposed to core and additional. i had missed out on learning chemistry and i really didnt need the stress of sitting 3 extra exams, considering i had missed half of year 10 due to my very poor mental health.
and i dropped AD MATHS, as in ADDITIONAL MATHS, not maths. you cant drop maths. i could drop ad maths easily since i did it as an extra after school thing.
i know i will get a U. i was wondering whether theres more to it.
yes, i do intend on going to university.

again, try and be a little respectful. and dont just disbelieve what im saying?
Reply 4
Original post by Johnsmith12121
You need a gcse in english and maths

i know this much, but i am getting a gcse in english language (ie- the one the government wants us to have). do i really need the lit too?
i dropped chemistry because im in a triple set. my class sat all of the three chemistry exams last year - i missed them (plus the ISA) due to absence. (my attendance last year was very poor - it ended on around 75%, but that included camhs appointments and the lessons i attended for an online school trial). my science teacher stated that i needed to have two good science gcses, and saw no reason why they couldnt be physics and biology as opposed to core and additional. i had missed out on learning chemistry and i really didnt need the stress of sitting 3 extra exams, considering i had missed half of year 10 due to my very poor mental health.
and i dropped AD MATHS, as in ADDITIONAL MATHS, not maths. you cant drop maths. i could drop ad maths easily since i did it as an extra after school thing.
i know i will get a U. i was wondering whether theres more to it.

again, try and be a little respectful. and dont just disbelieve what im saying?

You might struggle to get into university without English Literature, as if you blatantly fail to show up to the exam, you won't get extenuating circumstances.
Reply 6
no-one on this forum will/(should) condone out right not turning up to an exam. I dont see why it's so stressful, if you feel like you're going to fail anyway.
Reply 7
If you just don't turn up then your school are likely to look for you and phone your parents. They may even delay the exam if they can't get hold of you.

But if you don't turn up you'll get an X. This isn't a grade and won't appear on your certificate.

You'll only be allowed to not take the exam and still get a grade if you apply for extenuating circumstances and really can't sit the exam. This doesn't sound like you'd qualify for this.
Reply 8
You might struggle to get into university without English Literature, as if you blatantly fail to show up to the exam, you won't get extenuating circumstances.

i have never read anywhere that you need lit to get into uni. some people arent even offered to take lit. i dont see why unis would check your gcse grades if theyre entirely irrelevant to the course youre taking, arent pushed by the government, and again, arent even offered to everyone as a separate gcse (since some take the hybrid).

Original post by jackthb
no-one on this forum will/(should) condone out right not turning up to an exam. I dont see why it's so stressful, if you feel like you're going to fail anyway.

im not asking for it to be condoned, i just wanted to know. its stressful because i dont want to sit the exam. if i do have to sit it, despite the fact that i know ill fail, i will still panic immensely. i panic really easily. comes with the ill mental health.

Original post by Juno
If you just don't turn up then your school are likely to look for you and phone your parents. They may even delay the exam if they can't get hold of you.

But if you don't turn up you'll get an X. This isn't a grade and won't appear on your certificate.

You'll only be allowed to not take the exam and still get a grade if you apply for extenuating circumstances and really can't sit the exam. This doesn't sound like you'd qualify for this.

thank you, thats what i was looking for.
they couldnt really give me a grade anyway. i missed the lit mock, and i havent done anything at all in class over the last two years that could be considered either. they would have absolutely Nothing to go off of.
i have never read anywhere that you need lit to get into uni. some people arent even offered to take lit. i dont see why unis would check your gcse grades if theyre entirely irrelevant to the course youre taking, arent pushed by the government, and again, arent even offered to everyone as a separate gcse (since some take the hybrid).

It really depends on the university and the course. For the top universities, you'll need a lot of GCSEs at the very highest grades, not just those relevant to your chosen course.

The main issue in the short term would be your school's reaction. If I was to not turn up to an exam, a teacher would literally drive to my house and ensure that I attended. As someone else noted, the exam could be messed up for everyone else in your year, as it could be delayed while they search for you, call your parents etc. And after all of that, the school could easily charge you for the cost of the exam, which they would otherwise cover.

By not turning up, you basically cause the school - and everyone else sitting the exam - to face chaos.
Reply 10
Original post by doctorwhofan98
It really depends on the university and the course. For the top universities, you'll need a lot of GCSEs at the very highest grades, not just those relevant to your chosen course.

The main issue in the short term would be your school's reaction. If I was to not turn up to an exam, a teacher would literally drive to my house and ensure that I attended. As someone else noted, the exam could be messed up for everyone else in your year, as it could be delayed while they search for you, call your parents etc. And after all of that, the school could easily charge you for the cost of the exam, which they would otherwise cover.

By not turning up, you basically cause the school - and everyone else sitting the exam - to face chaos.

i will most likely take psychology at a local uni. im not aiming too high, tbh

my school wouldnt be too fussed. i mentioned it to the student manager who i talk a lot to about school and mental health things and she said she would understand if i just didn't show up. my school is incredibly supportive. my mum is too - she said she would rather pay a fine than me have to sit it if i didnt feel up to it.
in addition, i sit in a separate room - in the busiest exams, i dont get more than 8 or 9 others in there with me. i sat my language exam the other day and some kid turned up 15/20 minutes late, and we waited less than 5 for him to show up before we started without him.

Original post by JohnGreek
Your school may force you to resit your English Lit. next year if you get a U. Take a look into your school policy on GCSE resits so that you're covered in case that may be the case.

they wont make me resit it because its not a gcse i need to get into college.
You're asking for advice but it sounds like you've already made up your mind. I think it's a really silly idea.

If you're just dropping good GCSEs because "my coursework is bad waa" that's silly Just up and leave English and get a U, if you do intend to go to uni, you will attend a college or sixth-form, if you don't have a C in English, you WILL, WILL re-sit it. It sucks, anyway the work at A-levels is nothing compared to GCSEs, just revise and try and get a C, then you will never have to worry about doing it again. Most Universities need a good GCSE in English because it shows good communication skills, if you are going to study psychology, you still have to do essays and dissertations, if you can't communicate properly, what's the point? Even part-time jobs require a C in English and maths. Just try, or you'll regret i
(edited 7 years ago)
I've not read all the comments here, so apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, OP.

Could it help you to see more options than turn up and do the exams with stress, or avoid them? For example, could you just make the best of the time you have left in which to revise, then sit the exams without expecting to pass but to prove to yourself that you overcame a challenging obstacle? Could you see it as a learning experience rather than a necessity to pass anything?

What are the different ways you could support yourself as you do the exams?

Best of luck.

you would get a u or an n which means either upgraded or not present
i'd be surprised if the school's sixth form is open to applications with out at least english and maths so you will end up most likely repeating them in college at a fundamental level along with what ever main course you choose to do at a level 2 grade
Reply 15
Original post by iEthan
You're asking for advice but it sounds like you've already made up your mind. I think it's a really silly idea.

??? im not asking for advice. i just wanted to know what could happen if i didnt show up. thanks anyway for your input that i didnt ask for

Original post by Fleuryette
If you're just dropping good GCSEs because "my coursework is bad waa" that's silly Just up and leave English and get a U, if you do intend to go to uni, you will attend a college or sixth-form, if you don't have a C in English, you WILL, WILL re-sit it. It sucks, anyway the work at A-levels is nothing compared to GCSEs, just revise and try and get a C, then you will never have to worry about doing it again. Most Universities need a good GCSE in English because it shows good communication skills, if you are going to study psychology, you still have to do essays and dissertations, if you can't communicate properly, what's the point? Even part-time jobs require a C in English and maths. Just try, or you'll regret i

DID YOU EVEN READ WHAT I SAID. im not dropping it because "uwu my coursework isnt at an A standard uwu". I MISSED THE COURSE DUE TO ME TAKING TIME OFF BECAUSE I LITERALLY COULDNT FUNCTION.
and no, actually, colleges require C grade LANGUAGE.
you dont need good eng lit skills for psychology. you need good eng lang skills. my ability to know why the author made the curtains blue wont help me in psychology.

Original post by jamesthehustler
you would get a u or an n which means either upgraded or not present
i'd be surprised if the school's sixth form is open to applications with out at least english and maths so you will end up most likely repeating them in college at a fundamental level along with what ever main course you choose to do at a level 2 grade

college applications were ages ago, and to get in to do my courses i need a C in english language, B in maths, and a B in science. nothing said about literature.

Original post by Davide_online
I've not read all the comments here, so apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, OP.

Could it help you to see more options than turn up and do the exams with stress, or avoid them? For example, could you just make the best of the time you have left in which to revise, then sit the exams without expecting to pass but to prove to yourself that you overcame a challenging obstacle? Could you see it as a learning experience rather than a necessity to pass anything?

What are the different ways you could support yourself as you do the exams?

Best of luck.

thanks man, i really appreciated this comment. i might end up doing that (i thought i would for a while) mainly because i really fear getting into trouble, i think ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
my school is really supportive so i know that theyd do anything to help me and i can get letters from my camhs worker and such should i need them.
but yeah, thanks. it was really nice to read this
x

It's best that you still go to the exam imo, even if you fear you won't do well. Sorry you didn't like what I had to say, but it's important that you do your exams. :smile: Of course, I understand if there were mitigating circumstances and that's OK. Nobody is judging you for that. I think that some people are simply saying you should attend because it would be better to rather than not. Does that make sense? Sorry if I upset you, I had no intention to. :smile:
???

and no, actually, colleges require C grade LANGUAGE.
you dont need good eng lit skills for psychology. you need good eng lang skills. my ability to know why the author made the curtains blue wont help me in psychology.

You can't be so naïve to think literature is all about "curtains are blue" English literature is a russell group subject, and psychology isn't. It's about understanding texts fully, and taking other opinions and facts into account, all of which are applicable to essays and writing reports, which will help you a lot. Don't use excuses, I had a friend who was ill and was in hospital, so she strived hard to get the best grades, which she achieved, don't p*ss this opportunity to better yourself, you'll regret it

You don't need Eng Lit GCSE ....
After having applied for unis I have learned that except for English language and maths most subjects are pretty irrelevant to them and they mostly care about a levels you do and Btecs and that you have 5 A*s to Cs in general ( unless it's like Oxford , Cambridge ... ) so I assume if you do all your other subjects but don't go to literature you should still get into uni find just ensure that you don't require English literature to get into the alevel / Btecs you want to do next year. However in order not to annoy your school you may want to just go to the exam and sit there you don't have to do anything that way you won't get in trouble

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest