The Student Room Group

Medicine in America???

How would I even go about applying to medical school in America? I know they don't do undergraduate medical degrees (apart from Harvard), but they do something called pre-med? Or could I do a degree in Biomedical Science in the UK, then apply to medical school in America? Or just apply for a Pre-med programme?
Original post by MiracleLeaf
How would I even go about applying to medical school in America? I know they don't do undergraduate medical degrees (apart from Harvard), but they do something called pre-med? Or could I do a degree in Biomedical Science in the UK, then apply to medical school in America? Or just apply for a Pre-med programme?

Have you got a few hundred thousand lying around, because medicine in America is not cheap. And as an international you would face tougher competition/requirements (Americans do care more about where you studied previously) than in the UK.

I am not sure that many UK science degrees would fulfil the pre-med requirements to allow you access on to an American medical degree.
Reply 2
Original post by MiracleLeaf

There are very few places for international students, so its VERY difficult to get in, that is if you also have the hundreds of thousands pounds required for tuition etc!. Each medical school has pre requisites, generally this includes not only biology, (organic) chemistry physics etc, which uk degrees don't cover (maybe cover the bio and chem studd, but not other thigns like physics)

Lastly, there isn't a "pre med" degree. This is a loose term used to describe undergraduate degrees (i.e BSc/BA/etc. biology, chemistry etc.) that covered the requried courses for med school entry and the student intends to go on to study medicine (only that student or people in the filed will describe that course as "premed" though, so in other words, its just a life science focused major, but many students studying on that major probably won't go on to study medicine)

Why do you wish to study medicine in america? I'm assuming you want to work there in the future then? In that sense its easier to find work in america if you graduate fro man american med school, but it is also possible to work there provided you graduate here and site the USMLE, but this route isn't easy either, and resident programmes for over sea graduates are limited too
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending