The Student Room Group

Difference between "first past the post" and "proportional representation?"

got a citizenship exam tomorrow and im still on theme 2?!

I cant get my head over the difference between these 2 ways of voting...
Reply 1
yeah I have that exam tomorrow :s-smilie: I haven't really revised but for most of it you should be fine since its just common sense. What exam board do you have?
Reply 2
Original post by lukejf
yeah I have that exam tomorrow :s-smilie: I haven't really revised but for most of it you should be fine since its just common sense. What exam board do you have?

edexcel :smile:

u?
Reply 3
Original post by mariam687
edexcel :smile:

u?

I've got OCR :smile: good luck with your exam
Reply 4
Original post by lukejf
I've got OCR :smile: good luck with your exam

aww

gdluck to u 2 :smile:
So first past the post is when the person with the most votes wins the seat in the constituency, or sometimes when the party with the most seats forms a majority government (once they past a certain amount of seats)

So proportional representation is when a party gets a PERCENTAGE of the seats in a parliament according to the PERCENTAGE of votes it receives in total.

Say if a town called Fruit Salad held an election, there are 10 seats in the salad bowl.
FRUIT | PERCENTAGE
APPLE 10%
BANANA 20%
GRAPE 50%
PINEAPPLE 20%

This translates to
FRUIT | NO OF SEATS
APPLE 1
BANANA 2
GRAPE 5
PINEAPPLE 2

NB: I didn't study Citizenship nor do I study Gov Pol - Just answering based on what I know. If someone finds something wrong with my answer please correct me!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CrazyFool229
So first past the post is when the person with the most votes wins the seat in the constituency, or sometimes when the party with the most seats forms a majority government (once they past a certain amount of seats)

So proportional representation is when a party gets a PERCENTAGE of the seats in a parliament according to the PERCENTAGE of votes it receives in total.

Say if a town called Fruit Salad held an election, there are 10 seats in the salad bowl.
FRUIT | PERCENTAGE
APPLE 10%
BANANA 20%
GRAPE 50%
PINEAPPLE 20%

This translates to
FRUIT | NO OF SEATS
APPLE 1
BANANA 2
GRAPE 5
PINEAPPLE 2

omg thanks so much!! my revision guide was rubbish!!

i would literally rep u a thousand times LOL

Quick Reply

Latest