The Student Room Group

Anybody volunteered with the RSPCA?

I'm thinking of volunteering as a carer and feeder for small animals at my local RSPCA, and possibly also helping out with fundraising events if there were any big ones.

Just wondering if anybody had done that who could tell me a bit about what it's like, and also whether many students around school or university age take part in this type of volunteering? Also are big fundraising events common?
Well I would love to be a volunteer too, I didn't had the chance yet but I really think that you should go for it, as I know, RSPCA is a great place to make yourself useful for poor animals. I have a huge passion for animals and i love them very much and if you share the same dedication I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy being a part of the team
Great, thanks. Anyone else with experiences to share?
Original post by cosmic angel
I'm thinking of volunteering as a carer and feeder for small animals at my local RSPCA, and possibly also helping out with fundraising events if there were any big ones.

Just wondering if anybody had done that who could tell me a bit about what it's like, and also whether many students around school or university age take part in this type of volunteering? Also are big fundraising events common?

I volunteered at my local kennels and cattery for a summer, it was really enjoyable. I was the only youth volunteer at the time but another couple started as I was leaving. I helped out at a couple of fundraisers, mainly fairs and dog shows. There really wasn't any hard work, the aim was to make sure that the animals were friendly with humans by playing with them and by the end I was allowed to give adoptees a tour of the cattery and introduce them to the animals, matching them up appropriately. There were some difficult times, such as when animals had been abused or badly treated, and when the animals couldn't find a home for weeks. RSPCA is good, but the animals don't really get a great deal of exercise or attention, which you might find difficult to deal with. All in all, it was a really fun experience. I'm happy to answer any questions you have :smile:
Original post by Charlotte49
I volunteered at my local kennels and cattery for a summer, it was really enjoyable. I was the only youth volunteer at the time but another couple started as I was leaving. I helped out at a couple of fundraisers, mainly fairs and dog shows. There really wasn't any hard work, the aim was to make sure that the animals were friendly with humans by playing with them and by the end I was allowed to give adoptees a tour of the cattery and introduce them to the animals, matching them up appropriately. There were some difficult times, such as when animals had been abused or badly treated, and when the animals couldn't find a home for weeks. RSPCA is good, but the animals don't really get a great deal of exercise or attention, which you might find difficult to deal with. All in all, it was a really fun experience. I'm happy to answer any questions you have :smile:

Thank you very much! Your role sounds like just the sort of thing I'd like to do, where you get lots of interaction with the animals. Is your kennels and cattery part of a chain, if so could you give me their name as I might like to volunteer there too? And I see... Did you hear that from someone who'd worked at the RSPCA? I was a bit worried that I'd be doing cleaning and not much else. Also, how many hours did you volunteer for?
Original post by cosmic angel
Thank you very much! Your role sounds like just the sort of thing I'd like to do, where you get lots of interaction with the animals. Is your kennels and cattery part of a chain, if so could you give me their name as I might like to volunteer there too? And I see... Did you hear that from someone who'd worked at the RSPCA? I was a bit worried that I'd be doing cleaning and not much else. Also, how many hours did you volunteer for?

It was an RSPCA branch I worked at, sorry should have clarified that. I used to do about 4 hours a day a couple of times a week, but went in extra on days I had nothing to do. They were very flexible and would let me away home whenever I wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending