The Student Room Group

Apparently my GCSE's are undesirable of uni's, is it true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by returnmigrant
It isn't the specifics of the OP's case I'm commenting on. Its the subsequent sweeping statements like 'Unis aren't interested in your GCSEs' which, as you can see, are highly misleading and totally incorrect.

That statement isn't misleading though; everyone takes English and Maths so a university asking for a minimum grade in it isn't the same as the university requiring students to pick certain subjects.
Original post by Misspinkypoop
Yeah as i said earlier, our school practically forced everyone- except for a select few who were "capable" to do core/additional instead of triple.

Do your best in these, its fine but then you will need to ensure that your 6th form or college will allow you to do the required subjects.

I refer you to Dundee's medical entry requirements. GCE A-Level AAA at A-Level (A2), to include chemistry and another science subject. The third subject can be your own choice; we have no preference.
These results should be obtained at one sitting and at the first attempt at A-Level examinations, two years after GCSE. (Approx. 8% of candidates sitting 3 A-Levels attain these grades).
Achievement at GCSE and AS level will also be taken into account. Biology is required, at least to GCSE level. General Studies at A-Level is not accepted.So you need to ensure that just taking Double science will allow for you to go forward to Chemistry and Biology (I would still take biology no matter what that says)

You also need to ensure that the health & social care allows you to gain the experience that will go forward in your personal statement as that will be as important as the grades you get (to allow you to stand out from the crowd)
Original post by ajaxxay
All of these require English and Maths at a specific level, which are compulsory subjects so OP can't have picked the wrong subjects.Manchester is the exception which asks for either a GCSE or A Level in specific sciences. Still, OP meets requirements and hasn't picked any subjects which will disadvantage them in the future.

Sure, OP could've helped themselves more by taking History or something, but other than that the GCSEs are fine.

Thank you, this kinda reassured me- so not doing a humanities wouldn't hinder me later is what your saying right?
Yeah.. I'm planning to study medicine at uni, in the future- apparently my GCSE's are kinda weak, non academic for instance there is no humanities eg; history which i regret not picking :angry: and health and social is a Cambridge nationals so it's coursework based- which uni's don't like and sociology and business are considered "Micky mouse" subjects.

TRUST ME you will thank yourself after not picking history
Reply 64
They are;
Maths
English-lit/lang
Core/double science
Re
Business studies
Health and social care
Sociology
French

You are fine for Cambridge.

For Medicine they just require a C in Double Science and Maths:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are;
Maths
English-lit/lang
Core/double science
Re
Business studies
Health and social care
Sociology
French

Some snobs will pick out that triple science is better than double, business studies isn't necessary for business (much like law for law), Health and Social care is more of a vocational GCSE than academic, and sociology is interesting but underrated.

Just do as well as you can - getting a full roster of A*s and As is much more important for med schools as most don't look at your GCSEs. You have the bare necessities so to say, don't worry about it.
Reply 66
Thank you, this kinda reassured me- so not doing a humanities wouldn't hinder me later is what your saying right?

Nah- A Level choices are the most important so look carefully at entry requirements when you decide them.

Also it's worth mentioning that good GCSE grades still open your choices at A Level. For example, I didn't take History at GCSE and really regretted it, but because I'm predicted high grades in other essay-based subjects (like RE and English Lit), I'm able to take History next year (first year of sixth form) to keep my options open for Law (as well as a few sciences to lead me onto Medicine if I decide to go down that route).

Finally, you'll be fine. Taking Chemistry and Biology at A Level (and more sciences if you want) will get you on the right track for Medicine. Taking GCSE double science will allow you to do this, provided you get good grades. It's rare that a university will require a specific subject at GCSE, but you should be able to meet any requirements if you get good grades in English, Maths and Science.

Good luck!
Original post by ajaxxay
Nah- A Level choices are the most important so look carefully at entry requirements when you decide them.

Also it's worth mentioning that good GCSE grades still open your choices at A Level. For example, I didn't take History at GCSE and really regretted it, but because I'm predicted high grades in other essay-based subjects (like RE and English Lit), I'm able to take History next year (first year of sixth form) to keep my options open for Law (as well as a few sciences to lead me onto Medicine if I decide to go down that route).

Finally, you'll be fine. Taking Chemistry and Biology at A Level (and more sciences if you want) will get you on the right track for Medicine. Taking GCSE double science will allow you to do this, provided you get good grades. It's rare that a university will require a specific subject at GCSE, but you should be able to meet any requirements if you get good grades in English, Maths and Science.

Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too! :h:
Reply 68
Business studies and Health and social care are considered soft subjects and if you take them on for a level it will impact what unis you can apply for, however gcse it doesn't really matter what subjects, unis only really care about grades for GCSE
Yeah.. I'm planning to study medicine at uni, in the future- apparently my GCSE's are kinda weak, non academic for instance there is no humanities eg; history which i regret not picking :angry: and health and social is a Cambridge nationals so it's coursework based- which uni's don't like and sociology and business are considered "Micky mouse" subjects.

Yeah, typically for medicine degrees they like you to have studies biology, chemistry and physics as three separate subjects rather than core science. Sociology might actually be alright, as it is a social science which can look good after doing a medicine degree and looking into the specific area of medicine you want to go into.

However if you pick biology as an a-level and maybe chemistry and psychology it should look fine. If you can take a humanity too I would, I know most schools/colleges allow you to take an a level humanity without taking it at GCSE.
For all questions relating to Appying for Medicine, there is a special TSR section full of information and advice :

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Quick Reply

Latest