The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics new spec in 5 days!

Panic set in yet?
Dreading the exam to be honest

Scroll to see replies

Original post by runningcat
Panic set in yet?
Dreading the exam to be honest

Hi! I moved this to the Physics forum for you - you're more likely to get a good answer here :h:
Reply 2
Paper 1 shouldn't be too bad, as it's just pure physics.

Paper 2 seems troublesome, as it's based around practical skills and applications

Both specimen papers (especially Paper 2) seemed like nightmares though, but that is the case for a lot of specimen papers.
hmmm C1(the ocr one...not sure what happened in that paper:/) then physics paper 1 #Examgoals(?)
I agree that the new spec papers are a joke, I was doing so well all year and then recently we used the second set of specimen papers for our mock and everyone, including myself, failed horribly. However upon further research I looked at how the grade boundaries have changed and each time a new specification is brought in the grade boundaries plummet leaving just over 50% as an A. After all we are the 'guinea pigs' for these types of papers and we are all in the same boat!
All we can do is keep revising and hope for the best :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by gromto
Paper 1 shouldn't be too bad, as it's just pure physics.

Paper 2 seems troublesome, as it's based around practical skills and applications

Both specimen papers (especially Paper 2) seemed like nightmares though, but that is the case for a lot of specimen papers.

Original post by Bethgordon
I agree that the new spec papers are a joke, I was doing so well all year and then recently we used the second set of specimen papers for our mock and everyone, including myself, failed horribly. However upon further research I looked at how the grade boundaries have changed and each time a new specification is brought in the grade boundaries plummet leaving just over 50% as an A. After all we are the 'guinea pigs' for these types of papers and we are all in the same boat!

The specimens were truly horrible, but I feel AQA would consider that and not be too bad, here's to hoping. but yes, revise and hope for the best seems like a good thing to do, especially since we have two days left (i'm sorry for counting down)
Reply 6
You've got to remember specimen papers are to show what the new style is like the questions might be completely different and the specimen papers also aren't as well checked as proper exams. For example for AQA Physics A on the specimen paper there was a question my teacher had never seen before and he's been teaching for decades and use to mark exam papers for AQA because he thinks the question was from a different exam board but you had to apply the knowledge you had learnt to work the question and it turned out a lot easier than it looked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Do you guys feel the grade boundaries will be very low this year?
Reply 8
Original post by runningcat
The specimens were truly horrible, but I feel AQA would consider that and not be too bad, here's to hoping. but yes, revise and hope for the best seems like a good thing to do, especially since we have two days left (i'm sorry for counting down)

What did you get in the spec papers? I find them to be much harder than the past papers.
Reply 9
Original post by Bethgordon

where did you get this information?
Will the grade boundaries be low since its a new spec?
Reply 11
Original post by GarlicBread01
Will the grade boundaries be low since its a new spec?

Probably but won't know about expected grade boundaries until after the test as it could end up being easier than expected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many specimen papers are there? I can only find 2 on the AQA website are there more?
How many specimen papers are there? I can only find 2 on the AQA website are there more?

There are no more official ones, however, somewhere, a group called "ZigZag" have created 4 more papers in the style of our new exam.
I'm not sure where they are, but it's worth a look, I've done them all and they're quite good practice.
Don't know what to feel about the exam tomorrow...
:wink:

There is another set which were released fairly recently:

Specimen papers (Set 2)
Paper 1: http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/8/5/14853288/7407-1_paper_1_qp_v1.0.pdf
Paper 1 mark scheme: http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/8/5/14853288/7407-1_paper_1_ms_v1.0.pdf

Paper 2: http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/8/5/14853288/7407-2_paper_2_qp_v1.1.pdf
Paper 2 mark scheme: http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/8/5/14853288/7407-2_paper_2_ms_v1.0.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
There are no more official ones, however, somewhere, a group called "ZigZag" have created 4 more papers in the style of our new exam.
I'm not sure where they are, but it's worth a look, I've done them all and they're quite good practice.
Don't know what to feel about the exam tomorrow...
:wink:

You neeed to give us the link mate.
Original post by champ_mc99
You neeed to give us the link mate.

You sort of have to pay... My college must have bought them so I don't think I can give you a link..
Sos m80 :ashamed:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
You sort of have to pay... My college must have bought them so I don't think I can give you a link..
Sos m80 :ashamed:

Oh right. Np.
just got 30/70 on the specimen paper :frown:. Any tips
Original post by blues123
just got 30/70 on the specimen paper :frown:. Any tips

Was it part of the set 1 papers or set 2 papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending