The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Do my gcse grades hold me back from UCL

For my GCSES, i got 2a*s(english literature and additional science), 5as(core science, history, english language, maths, classical civilisation), 2 bs(geography and french)&nbsp;and a c(which I am not planning to include in my ucas form-in home economics)<br>I take classicial civilisation, history, english literature and biology for AS and am planning to drop biology for a2.<br>I want to study english or classics at university<br>If i excel in my a-levels, would my gcse grades hold me back? Is it unrealistic to aim for UCL?
Don't you HAVE to declare all your GCSEs on UCAS? I'm pretty sure that if they find out, e.g. if your school puts in your reference that "all students take x amount of GCSEs and x amount of A levels" as mine did, they can take away your offer. I wouldn't omit that from your application for a start. If your A levels are good you might have a chance but you will probably need an exceptional personal statement and all As in your AS levels. It's only one choice on your UCAS so it's worth applying, but really it will depend what you get in your AS levels and how strong your PS is.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Edit: ^ What she said.

I didn't get the impression you could exclude any specific GCSE results, as they're recorded on your certificate.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's unrealistic. Your results are okay, but remember they're going to look at the whole package -- GCSEs, AS results, A2 predictions, personal statement, and potential written work/interview performance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
No it isn't unrealistic IMO. As long as you meet the courses individual requirements and have a good personal statement, reference, extra curricular and A level grades then you should be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by RobertWhite
No it isn't unrealistic IMO. As long as you meet the courses individual requirements and have a good personal statement, reference, extra curricular and A level grades then you should be fine.

In terms of extra-curriculars, I have asked many teachers who have all given vague answers as to some ideas of what I could do. So far, I take part in a young journalist scheme and run a classics film club but that is pretty much the extent to what I do.
Do you have any suggestions of some suitable things I should take part in?
Reply 5
I got worse and got in.
Original post by Nolly666
In terms of extra-curriculars, I have asked many teachers who have all given vague answers as to some ideas of what I could do. So far, I take part in a young journalist scheme and run a classics film club but that is pretty much the extent to what I do.

If you're applying for english maybe consider starting a writing blog? It doesn't have to be very long, just something to put on there. There's not really much you can do for english/classics, I was considering applying for english for a brief time and my school were also very vague about it. Anything involving reading/writing is ideal, I ran classics club and history club in year 12 so I put that on there too.
Reply 7

Things like that are absolutely fine. Get involved in developing activities like that and they'll all be taken into consideration.
Original post by Noodlzzz
I got worse and got in.

What did you get in GCSE and A-Level?
Original post by niftyhitman
What did you get in GCSE and A-Level?

AAAAAABBBCC

A*A*A*a*a
AAAAAABBBCC

A*A*A*a*a

It's definitely because of your stellar A-Levels
It's definitely because of your stellar A-Levels

I was offered a place before results but did have AAAA as AS when applied
I was offered a place before results but did have AAAA as AS when applied

Oh. What course did you do and how competitive do you think it's gonna for English Literature because I wanna do Eng Lit
Oh. What course did you do and how competitive do you think it's gonna for English Literature because I wanna do Eng Lit

Psychology and not sure
Reply 14
For my GCSES, i got 2a*s(english literature and additional science), 5as(core science, history, english language, maths, classical civilisation), 2 bs(geography and french)&nbsp;and a c(which I am not planning to include in my ucas form-in home economics)<br>I take classicial civilisation, history, english literature and biology for AS and am planning to drop biology for a2.<br>I want to study english or classics at university<br>If i excel in my a-levels, would my gcse grades hold me back? Is it unrealistic to aim for UCL?

Honestly, GCSEs, in my experience at least, count for very little. At GCSEs I recieved something like 4As and the rest Cs, Bs and I think at least one D. I went into the UCAS process not expecting to get any offers from serious universities like UCL, LSE and Durham (thanks in part to the negative comments that get posted on SU forums). I changed my mind at the last moment and decided to apply to the UCLs and LSEs but still did not expect more than two offers. Two months later I had recieved accpetence from all 5 choices including UCL and LSE to study law! My point is that as long as you work hard at SIxth Form, getting 3As or so, write a good P.S and have a good reference you will stand a great chance. Please don't let the fearmongering put you off from applying; good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending