The Student Room Group

‘Voices are not proof of God but evidence of psychological neurosis.’

Could someone help me answer this question? (A2 OCR Philosophy of Religion). This is one of the predicted questions to come up in the June 2016 exam.

Scroll to see replies

I thought this was gonna be a good debate thingie :K:
Reply 2
Original post by Imperion
I thought this was gonna be a good debate thingie :K:

You're welcome to start a debate, it might still help haha
Original post by riazerben
Could someone help me answer this question? (A2 OCR Philosophy of Religion). This is one of the predicted questions to come up in the June 2016 exam.

I wholly agree with the title.
All religion is trying to do is to get its hands on anything which might seem like a mental disorder and then say that "God is talking to them" or whatever else they can come up with.

All in all, all i see it as is the God of the Gaps argument
Well a lot of things the noted prophets of history claim to have seen and heard would be regarded as symptoms of schizophrenia today... Just sayin.
I agree with the title.
Religion changes e.g. in the past everyone believed that hearing voices was a way of God communicating but now, religious people agree with science, that it's a sign of schizophrenia.
in the past symptoms of what we would now call mental illness or conditions such as epilepsy were ascribed to various supernatural agencies... whether beneficial ( angels, God ) or maleficent ( demons, Satan ),

ironically it is the other way round now... anyone showing belief in the supernatural is accused of suffering from mental illness. on TSR anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by riazerben

hey I am doing OCR Philosophy and Ethics too, and I know this is the predicted question. I guess you have to define what kind of religious experience voices are. Then you need to briefly define what religious experience is. Then you could perhaps talk about William James arguing that religious experiences are psychological phenomena, and you could also bring in freud. According to freud religious experiences are psychological neurosis. This is because he notes that many patients who suffered from mental illnesses displayed obsessive behaviour. He observed that the patterns of behaviour that had to be followed were remarkably similar to some religious practices, such as formal prayer or worship. He also said that religion is an illusion.

on the other side go the argument you could argue that religious experiences are not psychological neurosis, because many people experience them. For example, then you can bring biblical revelations of the prophets. Also, mention St Teresa of Avilla and also Bernadette who had visions of the virgin Mary. Don't forget to bring in William James findings.
Reply 8
Original post by aliaahmad
hey I am doing OCR Philosophy and Ethics too, and I know this is the predicted question. I guess you have to define what kind of religious experience voices are. Then you need to briefly define what religious experience is. Then you could perhaps talk about William James arguing that religious experiences are psychological phenomena, and you could also bring in freud. According to freud religious experiences are psychological neurosis. This is because he notes that many patients who suffered from mental illnesses displayed obsessive behaviour. He observed that the patterns of behaviour that had to be followed were remarkably similar to some religious practices, such as formal prayer or worship. He also said that religion is an illusion.

on the other side go the argument you could argue that religious experiences are not psychological neurosis, because many people experience them. For example, then you can bring biblical revelations of the prophets. Also, mention St Teresa of Avilla and also Bernadette who had visions of the virgin Mary. Don't forget to bring in William James findings.

But isnt St Teresa of Avilla and Bernadette visions , the questions is asking about voices can we still include them?
Reply 9
Original post by HTA18
But isnt St Teresa of Avilla and Bernadette visions , the questions is asking about voices can we still include them?

yeah it is, but you can link it to visions
Reply 10
Original post by aliaahmad
yeah it is, but you can link it to visions

ohh I see Thank you
Original post by HTA18
ohh I see Thank you

No worries. How's your preparation for ethics ?
Reply 12
ethics is going good I have my notes for everything but im not going to revise for meta ethics apart from tht I will revise everything. I am just stuck with this voices topic im okay with vision but voices I have no notes and dnt get it. how u getting on with ethics and philosophy
Reply 13
Original post by the bear
in the past symptoms of what we would now call mental illness or conditions such as epilepsy were ascribed to various supernatural agencies... whether beneficial ( angels, God ) or maleficent ( demons, Satan ),

ironically it is the other way round now... anyone showing belief in the supernatural is accused of suffering from mental illness. on TSR anyway.

Well there are indications there actually might be a gene that makes you prone to believing in God.

Whether that is an "illness" or not...personally I think it says a lot about your character if you need to believe in a purpose in life, in something bigger, in the afterlife, all that kind of stuff. Maybe not necessarily need to, but want to because it's "beautiful". Like all those people who say they found God in prison. Well yea, it's a shitty place and that was something that gave them comfort.
I miss A-level OCR RS!

Try Freud and his views of religion! That'd be a real good start!
Reply 15
Thank you I actually didn't think this way I have more idea how to start
Reply 16
Alongside freud if I put marx the opmuim of the masses would that be overboard for a voices question ?
Original post by inhuman
Well there are indications there actually might be a gene that makes you prone to believing in God.

Whether that is an "illness" or not...personally I think it says a lot about your character if you need to believe in a purpose in life, in something bigger, in the afterlife, all that kind of stuff. Maybe not necessarily need to, but want to because it's "beautiful". Like all those people who say they found God in prison. Well yea, it's a shitty place and that was something that gave them comfort.

the reductionists always manage to pull a gene outta their ass.... no doubt there is a gene to explain why some people support Manchester United.
Reply 18
the reductionists always manage to pull a gene outta their ass.... no doubt there is a gene to explain why some people support Manchester United.

Ah, you are that kind of person.

Not surprised. Go back to your cave.
Reply 19
you have a "not surprised" gene :h:

I'm sure I do, what a constructive post :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending