The Student Room Group

Voter Registration crashed! Did you try to register at the last minute?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
I certainly wasn't.

And how is that checked?

It is checked through the cancelling off of names at polling stations-if an individual's name is marked as having voted multiple times, their vote will be discounted and they will be rightfully prosecuted :smile:
I registered a couple of weeks ago but how do you know if you're on the register and it's gone through? Thought I'd recieve a letter or an email but nothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
I registered a couple of weeks ago but how do you know if you're on the register and it's gone through? Thought I'd recieve a letter or an email but nothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll recieve a polling card through the post at the address you're registered at, but there's no set timescale for this. You also don't need this to vote.
Original post by Drewski
You'll recieve a polling card through the post at the address you're registered at, but there's no set timescale for this. You also don't need this to vote.

Okay, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sebby491
Already voted but I would like to add that I don't think we should have to register, should just be automatic once you turn 18, its very undemocratic.

How? You have the opportunity to vote at the age of 18 do you not?

Original post by Bornblue
No it doesn't. The deadline is a deadline for a reason and you are fully entitled to register at any time before it.

It's not for arrogant sods like you to determine when someone should register within the deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a bit like if you plan to get someone a Christmas present, but you get it the day before and then you're surprised that they shut a bit earlier.
Original post by XcitingStuart
How? You have the opportunity to vote at the age of 18 do you not?

It's a bit like if you plan to get someone a Christmas present, but you get it the day before and then you're surprised that they shut a bit earlier.

Awful analogy.
If they have a legally enforceable deadline it should remain open until the last second.

People are entitled to register up to the deadline.
Awful analogy.
If they have a legally enforceable deadline it should remain open until the last second.

So what happens when tomorrow night it happens again and people all rush at the last minute and miss it for whatever reason? Will it be re-opened again, and again, and again?

What happens when people try to go vote at 10.01pm on the 23rd and the polling stations have closed? Will politicians come on demanding the referendum day be extended?
Reply 47
Original post by Drewski
So what happens when tomorrow night it happens again and people all rush at the last minute and miss it for whatever reason? Will it be re-opened again, and again, and again?

What happens when people try to go vote at 10.01pm on the 23rd and the polling stations have closed? Will politicians come on demanding the referendum day be extended?

So long as the site remains accessible the Government will have held their end of the bargain and if anyone misses the deadline for any other reason there's no problem. It's when the Government fails to meet its objectives that it has to be held to account and appropriate action taken like it was today.
Reply 48
Original post by Drewski

Nope. But it's similar to when they closed polling stations despite people still waiting in the queue.
Original post by Dez
So long as the site remains accessible the Government will have held their end of the bargain and if anyone misses the deadline for any other reason there's no problem. It's when the Government fails to meet its objectives that it has to be held to account and appropriate action taken like it was today.

20,000 people attempted to log in at 12.01. That's nothing to do with the Government, that's solely down to those 20,000 being dim.
Original post by Drewski

Well the current polling day rules state if you're in the queue by 10PM you can vote.

In this case people attempted to register within the deadline but the website crashed.

Perhaps some people only decided they would vote yesterday. We should be welcoming people becoming politically engaged and interested, not sneering our noses up at them.
Reply 51
Original post by Drewski
20,000 people attempted to log in at 12.01. That's nothing to do with the Government, that's solely down to those 20,000 being dim.

Oh don't be so ridiculous, the site was down for nearly 2 hours prior to that, which has everything to do with the Government.
Original post by Dez
Oh don't be so ridiculous, the site was down for nearly 2 hours prior to that, which has everything to do with the Government.

It has more to do with the people who had left it to the last minute...
Original post by Drewski
It has more to do with the people who had left it to the last minute...

You're fully entitled to leave it to the last second. It's not for you to call people idiots for deciding late.

We should be welcoming the fact many decided to engage with the political process. It's attitudes like yours which deters people, by labeling them idiots or dim.

The fact is they tried to register before the deadline and had the site been working as it should have, there would have been no problem.
Awful analogy.

I'm not saying it shouldn't; I'm simply saying by principle people should aim to do it earlier in light of problems.

Another example, a journey to a coach, leaving to arrive at the last second.

Why would you think I advocate shutting it down early or sth like that?
Original post by DiddyDec
If your planning is so poor that you wait to register on the last possible day then you shouldn't really be trusted to vote.

Im a british born citizen. I registered AGES ago. I just registered my parents a bit late because I didnt have their national insurance number. Me and my family were probably already registered anyway. Just wanted to make sure we're all in the game lulz (joke).
You're fully entitled to leave it to the last second. It's not for you to call people idiots for deciding late.

We should be welcoming the fact many decided to engage with the political process. It's attitudes like yours which deters people, by labeling them idiots or dim.

I'm fine with that. These are people who have, for whatever reason, completely ignored the past 4 months since the date was announced and who have also neglected their local elections, general elections and being registered for things like jury duty. If they're that uninterested in public duty and individual responsibility them I'm more than happy to label them dim.
I'm not saying it shouldn't; I'm simply saying by principle people should aim to do it earlier in light of problems.

Again, awful analogy. Because when a coach leaves is not legally enforceable.

The government set in law that you could register at any point up until midnight. It is their duty to obey the law and ensure that.

It's not for you to decide when people should register within the deadline. Perhaps many people only decided to vote yesterday which they are more than entitled to do.
Original post by Drewski
I'm fine with that. These are people who have, for whatever reason, completely ignored the past 4 months since the date was announced and who have also neglected their local elections, general elections and being registered for things like jury duty. If they're that uninterested in public duty and individual responsibility them I'm more than happy to label them dim.

Well, you're a snob then.
Go out and meet some people in the real world and see for yourself why they don't vote, it's not because they're dim.

Besides it's irrelevant. The deadline was 12 and people should be allowed to register any time before that. If they are prevented from doing so by the site crashing, it's right that the deadline be extended.

That doesn't quite work. Delaying a coach means the other passengers suffer the effects of your actions. Registering to vote at the last minute does not affect your ability to vote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending