The Student Room Group

Working full time during the summer

I have a job offer and I can choose to either work 37.5 hours or 8 hours per week. Is 37.5 a bit much? I want to enjoy my summer, learn to code, learn a language, hand out with my friends etc. Would i be able to do all this while working so many hours?

Obviously with the 8 hour job I'll save a lot less money and I'll have less money when I go to university in September. So it's either a lot of money but not much free time or a lot of free time but not much money.

What do you think? Would it be better to work less hours now and then get a part time job at university?
Original post by Shumaya
I have a job offer and I can choose to either work 37.5 hours or 8 hours per week. Is 37.5 a bit much? I want to enjoy my summer, learn to code, learn a language, hand out with my friends etc. Would i be able to do all this while working so many hours?

Obviously with the 8 hour job I'll save a lot less money and I'll have less money when I go to university in September. So it's either a lot of money but not much free time or a lot of free time but not much money.

What do you think? Would it be better to work less hours now and then get a part time job at university?

Easy to answer with another question and i will, eventually you'll make the decision, we're just here to sway you.
What do you value more?
Friends, knowledge, a social life
or
Money for the future?
Reply 2
Original post by Big white
Easy to answer with another question and i will, eventually you'll make the decision, we're just here to sway you.
What do you value more?
Friends, knowledge, a social life
or
Money for the future?

mmmm I think I value friends, knowledge and a social life. This will also be my first job so I'm not sure I want to jump straight into the deep end.
Original post by Shumaya
mmmm I think I value friends, knowledge and a social life. This will also be my first job so I'm not sure I want to jump straight into the deep end.

Ok so if you decide that friends and a social life are more important then take less hours.
personalty I did it last summer and am looking to do it this summer, I did 3 months (GCSEs) last year and loved it, the experience of working was so fun, and I learned a load of new stuff (I worked in a law office), and seeing my friends doing stuff without me sucked, but the money made it so much better, I'd go for the longer hours but that's just me! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JessThomas6
personalty I did it last summer and am looking to do it this summer, I did 3 months (GCSEs) last year and loved it, the experience of working was so fun, and I learned a load of new stuff (I worked in a law office), and seeing my friends doing stuff without me sucked, but the money made it so much better, I'd go for the longer hours but that's just me! :smile:

Are you interested in a career in law? I think if the job was related to my future career plans I'd definitely go for it. But this job is quite different to my chosen career. It's like working in a law office when you want to be a pharmacist if you see what I mean?
Original post by Shumaya
Are you interested in a career in law? I think if the job was related to my future career plans I'd definitely go for it. But this job is quite different to my chosen career. It's like working in a law office when you want to be a pharmacist if you see what I mean?

No I'm interested in photography haha, but the opportunity was too good for me to pass up, I just focused on the money all summer, and the summer where I live was a blowout so I didn't mind too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending