The Student Room Group

Should I move out?

Hey,

Having trouble deciding on whether to move out or not, I have really restrictive and traditional parents. They would be angry if I moved out.

The reason I'm faced with making this decision is because they caught me going out with friends to a club on a night. That will probably get me a ***** slap (a thing that is common in traditional asian/black families) and it will probably lead to me never being allowed to live at uni again.

Like I have to go to a uni that is 1 hour drive within my parents house just so they can keep tabs, get up here if they think I'm doing something wrong and so that they can make me come home most weekends and all holidays. I like being at uni because I get to do the fun stuff all other normal people my age do, as well as getting a degree.

I know that if I move out (I have a place to stay lined up rent free for the next 3 months till uni starts up again if I want it) that I wont be able to talk to my family any more, which saddens me because although they can be stupid a lot of the time, we usually go a few months of good times before things go bad again. I would definitely miss them, which is why this decision is so hard, even though my friends are all telling me its the right thing to do.

Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by JohnMcguvern
Hey,

Having trouble deciding on whether to move out or not, I have really restrictive and traditional parents. They would be angry if I moved out.

The reason I'm faced with making this decision is because they caught me going out with friends to a club on a night. That will probably get me a ***** slap (a thing that is common in traditional asian/black families) and it will probably lead to me never being allowed to live at uni again.

Like I have to go to a uni that is 1 hour drive within my parents house just so they can keep tabs, get up here if they think I'm doing something wrong and so that they can make me come home most weekends and all holidays. I like being at uni because I get to do the fun stuff all other normal people my age do, as well as getting a degree.

I know that if I move out (I have a place to stay lined up rent free for the next 3 months till uni starts up again if I want it) that I wont be able to talk to my family any more, which saddens me because although they can be stupid a lot of the time, we usually go a few months of good times before things go bad again. I would definitely miss them, which is why this decision is so hard, even though my friends are all telling me its the right thing to do.

Any thoughts?

You'll need to move on and be your own person eventually and uni can be a good time to start. It souns to me like you will get more restricted and unhappy as time goes on so it may be best to leave now when things are okay and hopefully leave room for a relationship in the future.
At the end of the day only you can make that decision, but personally I think you will need to sooner or later and now is a pretty good time to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending