The Student Room Group

What happens if you get rubbish grades at AS?

Grades that are good enough to let you go to the 2nd year, but aren't good enough to be predicted for good unis :/

for example all round C's.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by SuperHuman98
Grades that are good enough to let you go to the 2nd year, but aren't good enough to be predicted for good unis :/

Although the grades you achieve will be given to university's as a predicted grade you can still achieve above that so if you can argue your case and argue that you will put in all efforts to achieve their expected results it should be fine ☺️

That's what my pastoral mentor has said to us.
Reply 3

retake during A2 like the majority of people. Honestly A2s are harder so a lot of people will retake As and Bs to get them as high as possible to make sure they get their targeted overall grades

It really depends on what uni's you wish to attend. Remember different unis have different requirements for the same courses. I think my grades are around c's if S1 goes well.

C's are going to get me into uni. But you'd be surprised at how much you will improve over the next year. Universities usually accept a bit lower than they've accepted your application for. For example my course which wants BBC have said they would accept CCC.
Original post by Themini
retake during A2 like the majority of people. Honestly A2s are harder so a lot of people will retake As and Bs to get them as high as possible to make sure they get their targeted overall grades

yeah, but i don't understand how this works... firstly is this possible with new spec? I retake my AS while doing A2, does that mean I have to apply the next year??
Then you can do something else. Life doesn't revolve around college and university.
Original post by Themini

It has absolutely nothing to with the difficulty level of A2s. If you fail to prepare then jolly well prepare to fail. That is my mantra and I drill it into my head every waking morning.
Reply 9
Original post by Audrey18
It has absolutely nothing to with the difficulty level of A2s. If you fail to prepare then jolly well prepare to fail. That is my mantra and I drill it into my head every waking morning.

Sorry what a level subjects are you taking? :smile:
Reply 10
Do better at A2 as well as retake some modules and take a gap year. If not, then you can apply to universities with lower entry requirements, and if you find out you did far better than expected (e.g. firmed a uni that requires CCC but you ended up getting AAB), then go through adjustment to a better university.
Original post by kkboyk
Do better at A2 as well as retake some modules and take a gap year. If not, then you can apply to universities with lower entry requirements, and if you find out you did far better than expected (e.g. firmed a uni that requires CCC but you ended up getting AAB), then go through adjustment to a better university.

Thanks I understanding retaking modules for maths (think im gonna do good in that anyway) but we cant retake modules during A2 for my other subjects coz they are new spec
Last year, I got 2 D's in Sociology and English Lit, and a U in Physics. Needless to say, I dropped Physics.
I was devastated, because I love English with all my heart, sobbing on results day, trying to understand how I'd done so badly when I was so passionate and enthusiastic and was doing really well in class, getting Cs and Bs on class assessments.

It's not the end of the world. You talk it through with your teachers at the start of year 13, discuss options - I decided to retake the English exam and, later on, one of the Sociology papers - and work on what went wrong. If you are determined to improve, you can fit in the work needed for the retakes and improvement. I recommend focusing on fixing the weakest area first - which, for me, meant writing an essay a week through till Christmas.

This year I was getting B's in my English and Sociology retake essays, C's in this year's English, and A's in this year's Sociology.
I wouldn't even say that all C's were bad, considering my grades last year...

Quick Reply

Latest