The Student Room Group

These new A-level reforms.. wtf.

So to my understanding ...
AS aren't going to count at all meaning most schools won't bother doing mocks/end of year AS exams and using these as a prediction for universities.. so they're going to be basing our A2 perfomance on GCSE grades???!?!??!?

Also, do the new A-level reforms mean we'll be taking all exams for our modules at A2 so basically everyone is kinda doing retakes even if you got like 100% at AS in all subjects? They ain't gon' matter? Perfect:smile:, how are we supposed to remember all that knowledge? fml.

If A-level subjects are soon to be ALL linear.. what about the current year 11's that are gonna be starting off with 4 subjects (because that's the norm innit) and can't end up dropping one that they don't like/bad at? :/ yay, 4A2's ! high five!

Are universities going to have to change their requirements because some say things on their websites like "Further Maths is not compulsory but desirable at AS level" ... well AS don't count for **** any more so what is the bloody point of tryna get a good grade in it? I'd only be learning it for fun then tbh. (yes, i like maths)

What are universities going to be basing their offers on then?Will gcse's have more significance in the future?

Can someone explain this to me please and help me see the benefits because at the moment, I don't really get it and just getting really frustrated with this country's current adjustment to the education system. WE ARE NOT PREPARED.

Rant over, I'll type more formally now to people that reply to this lool, just had to get it all out.
(edited 7 years ago)
No you still have AS exams at the end of first year, that are used for your predictions. They just don't affect your final grade at A2.

Also you can still drop a subject
Original post by SuperHuman98
No you still have AS exams at the end of first year, that are used for your predictions. They just don't affect your final grade at A2.

You mean predictions for unis? That's kind of annoying, I thought we'd get away with doing no exams in the first year :/
Original post by SuperHuman98

Please calculate for me how many exams I will be having to sit at A2:smile:
Idk my school said we won't be sitting AS exams (apart from in a few subjects like Maths which haven't changed). Instead I think we'll just be doing mocks :redface:
AS levels don't matter if they aren't related to the course you want to do. So if you are doing a Maths degree then Further Maths at AS is as desirable as it used to be.
Original post by AcademiaAcademia
Please calculate for me how many exams I will be having to sit at A2:smile:

I think for the sciences it is 3 exams at A2 per science. 2 exams with A2 knowledge and one that has AS knowledge.
Original post by BasicMistake
AS levels don't matter if they aren't related to the course you want to do. So if you are doing a Maths degree then Further Maths at AS is as desirable as it used to be.

But it won't count apart from the fact that I have AS Further Maths knowledge. Unless I take it up to A2 Uni's won't consider the fact that I got a high grade in it at AS.
I know it will be different elsewhere, but in my sixth form, everyone is still sitting all their AS levels. They'll be used as indication for A2. The only reason everyone is sitting is because the school can afford to waste money on ASs that don't count.

If you're dropping something, the AS can be "cashed in" so that it does actually count. But if you're continuing to A2, you don't get the UCAS points from it. So you could still start off with 4 subjects and only sit an exam for one, which you then drop.

Also, about how many exams you have, I believe they're combining the ASs and A2s to make up what would have been our A2 papers.

For example, in psychology, I sat 2 AS papers this year, but next year I'll sit 3 papers that cover both years which will make up the A Level.

I think for uni, GCSEs are inevitably going to become more important. But I also think more universities are going to introduce admissions tests to make up for students lacking in AS level grades.
Reply 9
Are Universities only going to see our A2 predicted grades on our UCAS application or the AS results too?
1. AS aren't going to count at all meaning most schools won't bother doing mocks/end of year AS exams and using these as a prediction for universities.. so they're going to be basing our A2 perfomance on GCSE grades???!?!??!?

2. Also, do the new A-level reforms mean we'll be taking all exams for our modules at A2 so basically everyone is kinda doing retakes even if you got like 100% at AS in all subjects? They ain't gon' matter? Perfect:smile:, how are we supposed to remember all that knowledge? fml.

3. If A-level subjects are soon to be ALL linear.. what about the current year 11's that are gonna be starting off with 4 subjects (because that's the norm innit) and can't end up dropping one that they don't like/bad at? :/ yay, 4A2's ! high five!

4. Are universities going to have to change their requirements because some say things on their websites like "Further Maths is not compulsory but desirable at AS level" ... well AS don't count for **** any more so what is the bloody point of tryna get a good grade in it? I'd only be learning it for fun then tbh. (yes, i like maths)

5. What are universities going to be basing their offers on then?Will gcse's have more significance in the future?

6. Can someone explain this to me please and help me see the benefits because at the moment, I don't really get it and just getting really frustrated with this country's current adjustment to the education system. WE ARE NOT PREPARED.

Rant over, I'll type more formally now to people that reply to this lool, just had to get it all out.

1. I don't know how you conclude schools won't bother doing mocks at the end of y12. Every school I have knowledge of is doing end of year progress exams in all subjects, either internal mocks or AS exams.

2. You presumably managed to remember all of that GCSE content for those exams. Some people will inevitably be better at remembering the 2 years of content for their 3 A levels than others. In maths you pretty much have to remember most of the AS content anyway if you are to be good at A2 which is why so many y13 retake AS units to boost their grade.

3. The normal number of A levels is not the same in every school or for every student. Many schools are only allowing 3 A levels from the start, some allow a period with 4 and then make students drop one around Xmas. Some allow 4 with one dropped after AS etc. If you start 4 you can still drop one.

4. Universities will adjust their entry requirements if there is a significant drop in candidates achieving the required grades but there is every reason to suspect that grades boundaries will be set at levels that ensure this doesn't happen. Btw standalone AS result still count. They are still a qualification and are still worth UCAS points where relevant to an application. The results in them don't count towards the final grade of a full A level.

5. Universities will look at predicted grades, personal statements and references as they always have done and AS results where you have them. Those that already correlate GCSE results to success on their courses will continue to do so, some others may take a closer look than they used to. Some will expand the use of aptitude tests such as BMAT LNAT MAT etc.

6. No comment on the benefit or otherwise. It's happening, students have to deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
With the reformed a levels, schools will have the option of whether they want to put students in for the AS or not. They still won't count towards the A level, but they may be used to make uni predictions. And even if you don't sit the AS, you should still be able to opt out of the a level if you want
Original post by AKK6199
Are Universities only going to see our A2 predicted grades on our UCAS application or the AS results too?

Both. You will still have to declare any AS results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
But it won't count apart from the fact that I have AS Further Maths knowledge. Unless I take it up to A2 Uni's won't consider the fact that I got a high grade in it at AS.

The new system essentially means that you have to choose whether you are taking the subject to AS or A level early on in the academic year as opposed to deciding whether to carry on after your exam. If you want to do Further Maths A level then choose to do Further Maths A level and not AS.
AS aren't going to count at all meaning most schools won't bother doing mocks/end of year AS exams and using these as a prediction for universities.. so they're going to be basing our A2 perfomance on GCSE grades???!?!??!?

Also, do the new A-level reforms mean we'll be taking all exams for our modules at A2 so basically everyone is kinda doing retakes even if you got like 100% at AS in all subjects? They ain't gon' matter? Perfect:smile:, how are we supposed to remember all that knowledge? fml.

If A-level subjects are soon to be ALL linear.. what about the current year 11's that are gonna be starting off with 4 subjects (because that's the norm innit) and can't end up dropping one that they don't like/bad at? :/ yay, 4A2's ! high five!

Are universities going to have to change their requirements because some say things on their websites like "Further Maths is not compulsory but desirable at AS level" ... well AS don't count for **** any more so what is the bloody point of tryna get a good grade in it? I'd only be learning it for fun then tbh. (yes, i like maths)

What are universities going to be basing their offers on then?Will gcse's have more significance in the future?

Can someone explain this to me please and help me see the benefits because at the moment, I don't really get it and just getting really frustrated with this country's current adjustment to the education system. WE ARE NOT PREPARED.

your school would probably test you througout both A s and A2 year even not official mocks and might use those for predicted grades to go by universites and you can still drop one if you do four but u just do the As exam like normal but if you are doing the full A level As examdoesnt matter after the As years(but some scools still do both As and A2 exams )
The same has been done with Year 6 SATs being used to predict GCSEs.
Original post by AKK6199

If you sat the AS exam you have to declare what you got as far as I am aware.
The sixth form I will (hopefully) be going to will do AS levels in all subjects, so that unis have a better idea of our ability, and because it is common practice to drop a subject at the end of year 12, so to have a qualification in it you need to have done an AS level. I know that in maths and geography the AS levels still count towards A2 level in the exam boards at the sixth form I want to go to, so not all A levels have reformed yet! GCSEs will have more significance in the future, as not all schools will take ASs any more so to compare candidates, unis will have to look at GCSE grades.
Reply 18
If you drop a subject after AS the results will count as an AS grade.
If you continue to A2 you take AS exams at A2 again as part of the A2 exam according to the new sciences (I believe this is to ensure your not simply cramming before the exam and keep AS knowledge fresh).

Not sure about any other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest