The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by js.int
Are they also not very lenient on STEP offers either? Say, if you had an offer of A*AAA (A* in Maths) + STEP 1 at Grade 2, but you get A*A*AA (A* in Further Maths and Maths) but miss out on thr STEP part?

(This is for normal Computing)

My offer didn't include STEP, but it's possible that if you missed step and exceeded expections in the other A-levels you might be okay. I wouldn't guarantee it though. Maths skill is really the primary thing they want for incoming Computing freshers, so yeah don't bank on that.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 481
What a levels do you guys do?
Reply 482
Original post by thecsstudent
Do you think ability with Maths helps more in the first year or previous programming experience?

For me, I wish I had brushed up on maths more before I started. I believe you will receive an email soon with a list of revision material on it soon (perhaps August when results are out). For computing students, there is a maths test in the very first week, mainly testing A-level standard stuff, but it's still important to brush up on it as it will determine if you need extra maths tuition or not.

If you have no programming experience, it won't hurt to look at some Haskell and/or Java right now, but the lecturers manage to get everybody to a similar programming skill level very quickly so I wouldn't worry about that.
Reply 483
Original post by bwr19
Do not apply for Xenia. It's South Kensington prices at a Woodward-ish distance. (I'm there and I wasn't too thrilled when I initially found out)

Woodward is very far but cheap and the best facilities since it only opened this year. Beit is very noisy because it's where the union is so beware of that. Wilson is only a short walk/cycle away, and Pembridge is very small and isolated. Southside/Eastside are extremely nice (and literally across the road from uni) so pick those if the prices are okay for you.

Yeah I've been hearing similar things about Xenia. Do you know if it's alright sharing kitchens with 10-20 people at Eastside/Southside? Thanks for answering our questions!
Reply 484
Original post by zshn
Yeah I've been hearing similar things about Xenia. Do you know if it's alright sharing kitchens with 10-20 people at Eastside/Southside? Thanks for answering our questions!

Yeah, the kitchens at Southside/Eastside are absolutely massive. There are several of every appliance. It's really not that much of a problem. From my experience in those halls, there's rarely more than a couple of people in the kitchen at any one time. You don't get much storage space in the South/Eastside kitchens, though.
Reply 485
Original post by bwr19
Yeah, the kitchens at Southside/Eastside are absolutely massive. There are several of every appliance. It's really not that much of a problem. From my experience in those halls, there's rarely more than a couple of people in the kitchen at any one time. You don't get much storage space in the South/Eastside kitchens, though.

Ah that's good to hear. Thanks for all the help, really really appreciate it!
Original post by bwr19
Not very, I'm afraid. I know of people who missed their offer by literally 1 or 2 UMS. Exception may be if you applied to JMC and slightly missed your maths offer - then you may be considered for normal Computing.

I've got my eye on one of the new macbook pros which come out in October, is it possible to get by without a laptop at Imperial doing computing for a month or so?
Original post by Seytonic
I've got my eye on one of the new macbook pros which come out in October, is it possible to get by without a laptop at Imperial doing computing for a month or so?

Nothing to say they're being released in October, it's more than possible that they'll be released earlier. Seemingly likely to be announced at WWDC mid june then they could literally be released on that day. Other reports suggest Q4 of 2016 although thats the fiscal year and such you're still looking at july/august/sept.
Holy **** y'all are predicted A's. heh
Original post by Rabadon
Nothing to say they're being released in October, it's more than possible that they'll be released earlier. Seemingly likely to be announced at WWDC mid june then they could literally be released on that day. Other reports suggest Q4 of 2016 although thats the fiscal year and such you're still looking at july/august/sept.

I hope they are released earlier, it would make things so much easier. But the articles coming out in the past few days suggest the new macbook pros will come out in september/october => https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=macbook+pro+october+2016&tbm=nws and instead WWDC will see the launch of a 13 inch macbook. Alas, these are just rumours, I hope they're wrong.

Yes - the Computing labs, which houses ~250 state-of-the-art machines, is open every day from 8am to 12pm. So technically you can survive Imperial Computing for a month without a laptop but with the lab machines. Though mind you - during daytime the labs are extremely busy as the machines are shared by 750 undergrads/ taught postgraduates.
Reply 491

You can survive the entire course without a laptop if you have to. I've been using the lab computers exclusively for a few months now. Haven't unplugged my laptop from my room for about the same amount of time. So the short answer is, yes absolutely.
Good luck to those of us with the dreadful STEP offers for tomorrow. We can do it!
Original post by bwr19
You can survive the entire course without a laptop if you have to. I've been using the lab computers exclusively for a few months now. Haven't unplugged my laptop from my room for about the same amount of time. So the short answer is, yes absolutely.

What would you recommend the Laptop/Computer spec should be?
Also, How many sockets do you get in your room?

thanks
Original post by RandomNickname
Do you guys think they will be strict on STEP condition?

So err.. I was given an offer last year of A*AA and a Grade 1 in STEP 2. I achieved A*A*A but a Grade 3 in STEP 2. My application was put under review for 7 days (!!) and then I was rejected. But it means they do still consider you! I'm re-applying this year and I only need a Grade 2 in STEP 1 now and another A in an extra 1 year a level I'm taking. Fingers crossed!
Original post by meganfurley
Past offers for Computer Science at Imperial and Cambridge:

What level STEP has been a condition for Computer Science offers from Imperial or Cambridge?

Has anyone heard of anyone being asked to do STEP 2?

Yes, last year I had to achieve a Grade 1 in STEP 2. I failed that so I missed the offer and reapplied for this year where they asked me for a Grade 2 in STEP 1 instead. Not heard of anyone doing straight computing being asked for STEP 2 THIS year... maybe they changed things. :smile:
Reply 496
Original post by TheWiseMan
What would you recommend the Laptop/Computer spec should be?
Also, How many sockets do you get in your room?

thanks

You don't need a particularly powerful laptop - 4GB of RAM and an i3 processor would probably be sufficient for the course if you had to.

My room had 8 outlets in it but that depends which hall/room you get.

My advice is to bring an extension cable anyway. The tenancy agreement is a bit hazy on this but honestly everyone has them and nobody cares if you do. It's been said that clause is in there for insurance reasons but who knows..
Original post by zshn

To offer another perspective, in my year the kitchens were the most important social space. The common room was floor -1, so no one went there. In the end you hang around there most nights and get to know lots of people, some of which will potentially be your housemates for next year!

I really do enjoy cooking, which is probably why I like the wide social kitchens so much. I would recommend you get some basic skills together. Good food makes a happy mind which makes the whole course that much more enjoyable!

When I went back to see some friends, the atmosphere was completely different, and the kitchen was much emptier. I guess it depends what you make of it!

I'm hall senior at Selkirk this year, so I may be a tad biased in my opinion! But after the 6 month placement, the rent is slightly less worrying and I'm happy to put down the money in not having to fret about travel at all. Especially since you are also next door to the sports center.
Reply 498
I'm an international student from Germany. Imperial is my firm choice.
Part of my offer for MEng Computing was Grade 2 in STEP 1. I met other parts of my offer.

Today I got my STEP results. I failed completely.
I got mark U with only 38 marks. :frown:

What should I do now?
Reply 499
Got A*A*A* and A* in EPQ, offer is confirmed! Anybody else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending