The Student Room Group

Suitable A Levels to keep options open?

I'm in Year 11 at school and have chosen English Literature, Music, German and Philosophy and Ethics to study for A Level next year. However, although I'm trying to keep my options as open as possible (hence the strange mix of subjects, haha) I'm really considering applying to study Psychology at university? So I'm thinking of swapping Phil + Ethics to either Biology or Psychology A Level (as a science subject is often preferred if you're doing a Psychology degree). Anyone got any advice as to which one to choose? I've been told that Psychology A Level (unfairly) may have a bit of a reputation as being a 'soft' subject, so would that affect my options?

Any help is much appreciated! :smile: Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

It is. Biology is a way better choice.
Reply 2
Original post by 34908seikj
It is. Biology is a way better choice.

Ok, thanks for the advice! Am I right in thinking that to study Psychology at uni it's sensible to take at least one science?
If you like maths then that is always an option :h:
Original post by just_a_geek
Ok, thanks for the advice! Am I right in thinking that to study Psychology at uni it's sensible to take at least one science?

Yes. Biology, well pretty much any STEM subject looks quite good when you're applying uni.
Reply 5
Original post by surina16
If you like maths then that is always an option :h:

Ahh I really wish I did!! But it's not my strongest subject unfortunately :') I think I'd be better off doing a science - thank you for the help though! xx
Ahh I really wish I did!! But it's not my strongest subject unfortunately :':wink: I think I'd be better off doing a science - thank you for the help though! xx

Oh okay :smile: Sciences are valued equally so there isn't a problem at all! Biology fits really well with Psychology so if you pick it you will have a strong set of A Level subjects :h: xx
I'm in Year 11 at school and have chosen English Literature, Music, German and Philosophy and Ethics to study for A Level next year. However, although I'm trying to keep my options as open as possible (hence the strange mix of subjects, haha) I'm really considering applying to study Psychology at university? So I'm thinking of swapping Phil + Ethics to either Biology or Psychology A Level (as a science subject is often preferred if you're doing a Psychology degree). Anyone got any advice as to which one to choose? I've been told that Psychology A Level (unfairly) may have a bit of a reputation as being a 'soft' subject, so would that affect my options?

Read this as it shows you the enabling subjects for Russel Group and amswers your question.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-psychology
Reply 8
Reply 9

If you really want to keep your options open do maths and one of either chemistry or physics, although from your choice of subjects i doubt you'd like either.
Original post by Watafuk
If you really want to keep your options open do maths and one of either chemistry or physics, although from your choice of subjects i doubt you'd like either.

Yeah, I'm not keen on maths or physics but was considering doing chemistry for a while, along with biology! I'm not sure, I want to do either Psychology, Law or Linguistics at uni, so that's why I'm having such a hard time picking A Levels... Can't make my mind up :') thank you for your help though ! :smile:
Reply 11
Do whatever subjects you want to do/enjoy. I can't stress this enough, the more interested you are the better your grades will be and THAT is what will influence your university choices.

Choosing psychology over biology will not be considered 'soft' and stop you getting into a reputable uni. Plenty of my friends didn't do a traditional science or math (they chose psychology ect) and have gone onto doing psyc degrees at Russel groups. If you're thinking about a psyc degree why not take it at A-level to get a taste for it?

I think the hard/soft subject thing is getting a bit outdated and irrelevant now if I'm honest, unless you're applying to oxbridge I haven't seen any instances of it making an impact. As long as you take the specified 'requirement' courses for the chosen field (like math for a math degree, science for psyc ect) You'll get an offer with the grades and a good personal statement.

I'm currently taking a year out but I hold offers for September at Russel group unis for law and my subject choices would be seen as soft, I didn't even take English.

Don't do general studies though:tongue:
if you want to do psychology at degree level then why not do it for A level, it is very content heavy but at least you'll know if you like it before spending so much money on a degree
Reply 13
I've applied for psychology and received 5 offers (3 of which were russell group) and I do english lit, psychology and sociology (I also did the EPQ). I did drama at AS before dropping it, so my subjects definitely weren't the most 'typically academic'. Yes sciences are good when you apply for psychology at uni, and sometimes they will reduce an offer because of it (I have been offered AAB as opposed to AAA) but most do count psychology a-level as a science when you apply! So, I'd say in the end unless you are planning on Oxbridge, maybe go for the subject you will enjoy more :smile:

I've applied to study psychology at university so hopefully I can help out. As psychology is now viewed more closer to a hard science than a social science, a science A-level is often required. If you look at the websites of universities you'd possibly consider going to you'll see that they usually have a list of "we'd prefer if you took one of these subjects".
From my experience, psychology hasn't recently been seen as a dumbed down subject, and now actually counts a science angry requirement. Although not necessary, I would highly recommend doing psychology as an A level if you'd want to carry it on to university.
As for broad subjects that keep doors open - usually maths, English language, philosophy, and social sciences like psychology, sociology and politics are seen as pretty neutral. The first two because they basically show that you have basic English and maths skills, which is needed in work, school and life. The other ones I listed are to do with studying people, which is why they're also favoured as quite broad subjects. As for learning a language, it can come in really handy as it shows potential bilinguality, and will also be helpful in life. You can even have joint degrees - I knew someone who did music and Russian, and another person who studies French with politics!
Reply 15
I studied biology chemistry physics and Latin at a level.. Sciences and maths are really good for keeping options open. I applied for quite a range of uni courses.. Bio archaeology, bio veterinary, zoology and animal behaviour and welfare and got 5 offers.. Plus RVC dropped my entry grades because I was doing 3 sciences at A2 :smile: also my friend is in her first year of psychology and she said a lot of first year is very similar to A2 biology.. hope this helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Any sciences, Maths always looks good. If you're not going for a STEM/Law/Economics degree at uni dont even bother to even CONSIDER applying btw.
Original post by danuuutka
I've applied to study psychology at university so hopefully I can help out. As psychology is now viewed more closer to a hard science than a social science, a science A-level is often required. If you look at the websites of universities you'd possibly consider going to you'll see that they usually have a list of "we'd prefer if you took one of these subjects".
From my experience, psychology hasn't recently been seen as a dumbed down subject, and now actually counts a science angry requirement. Although not necessary, I would highly recommend doing psychology as an A level if you'd want to carry it on to university.
As for broad subjects that keep doors open - usually maths, English language, philosophy, and social sciences like psychology, sociology and politics are seen as pretty neutral. The first two because they basically show that you have basic English and maths skills, which is needed in work, school and life. The other ones I listed are to do with studying people, which is why they're also favoured as quite broad subjects. As for learning a language, it can come in really handy as it shows potential bilinguality, and will also be helpful in life. You can even have joint degrees - I knew someone who did music and Russian, and another person who studies French with politics!

That's really helpful, thank you so much! May I ask which A Levels you chose to take?
Psychology A level is pretty much never required to do a psychology degree, which tells you a lot...
Biology is a faciliating subject, and actually a lot of the psychology a level content relates to biological pathways which are all done in more depth in biology. Also when you said "biology or psychology, as science is preferred", only one is a science lol

Please, just do what you enjoy. You're going to have to do it for two years. If you don't enjoy it you're going to have a hellish time at sixth form.

I got five offers from Russell Group universities and then a sixth offer through UCAS Extra (not Russell Group but very respected nonetheless). My subjects?

English Language (softer subject)
Sociology (softer subject)
Philosophy and Ethics (respected subject)
General Studies (soft subject but I got several offers which would accept my General Studies grade as part of their offer)

I actually got a C at AS for Philosophy and Ethics (was supposed to get an A but something happened with the marking) but straight As in everything else.

To be fair, I didn't apply for Oxbridge but even those two unis will usually accept one "soft" subject and two "respected" subjects.

Anyway, I truly enjoy my subjects and it made sixth form a very pleasurable experience for me, for the most part, because I was doing things I absolutely loved. I really wouldn't advise doing a bunch of subjects you don't really enjoy just because you think it'll make you more likely to get into university.

Quick Reply

Latest