The Student Room Group

Prom?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sapphire79
:frown::frown: What do you mean by that, I dont quite understand sorry. But you deserve to have friends and I think it's rude of the people around you to just alienate you just because you are quiet.

Agh sorry I meant to put "No one wants to be friends with someone who has.." etc. I guess it is rude of them but they already have their own friends so I suppose they can't be bothered letting me into their friendship groups :/
Reply 101
Original post by flobble
Had my prom last year; dressed up nice, complimented people I don't like on outfits that were horrible and put up with a great deal of small talk. However if you don't go you will regret it, so many of the people I've known for over 10 years went off to different colleges and 6th Forms and it was really nice to be able to say bye to them all.

Plus all the teachers got absolutely smashed and once all the c**ts of the year left to 'after parties' all the fun people got up and danced Grease Lightning, The Macarena, the Cha Cha Slide etc. and everyone still there had a great time.

Just try and take a hip-flask of vodka with you to make some of the talking more tolerable :smile:

Aww that's such a good idea, do the small talk with the few and before just to liven it up take a hip-flask of vodka.
I also felt like after I would regret i, that's the reason I'm in two minds about, but it seems like you felt the same and you sound as if you had a good time. So might consider it and take you advice.
Thanks so much
Reply 102
Original post by JustJusty
I didn't want to go to my prom because dressing up just stresses me out, and I just really couldn't be bothered with it - it's not my thing. However my boyfriend at the time wanted to go, and then I got what is in my opinion the prettiest dress I'd ever seen, and I ended up kind of looking forward to it.

Fast forward to prom, I spent the whole first half of the day crying because getting ready was so stressful and I couldn't shave my legs (I still can't, without is being excruciatingly painful and them breaking out in nasty spots), my dress wouldn't stay up, I didn't feel like part of the group, I had no idea how to do make-up (and, you guessed it, I still don't). I ended up going with my then-boyfriend's group and basically ended up barely seeing my friends because they were all on a different table. Everyone left right after the meal to go to a big party so the hotel was practically deserted. The food was so awful that I ate nothing all night, the pictures I sent in for this thingy didn't go through, my then-boyfriend didn't want to dance, then we left around 11:30, had a tiny bit of gin (or tonic, I can't remember), then I got into an argument with my then-boyfriend and slept on the floor.

Basically I felt like crying the whole night. It was nothing like the kind of prom you see on TV, and it just really wasn't my scene. I spent £40 on a ticket, £35 on a dress, and £20 on shoes, and ended up wishing I'd spent it on a telescope or books or literally anything else.

Will I go to my Year 13 prom? Yes. It's supposed to just be a classy dinner - no big dresses or fuss. The only reason I'm going to go is because I want a do-over, and pictures with my best friend, and a night that doesn't make me feel awful looking back at it. And I am bringing a big-ass tuna mayo sandwich with me.

Conclusion: don't not go just because you don't like some people in your year. But if you decide to go, make sure you have some good friends that you can spend it with. Otherwise it will be kind of ****. On the other hand, if you find the idea stressful, like I did, relax at home and do something you like.

Ohh I'm really sorry that it wasn't an exciting memorial experience for you, I hope you'll enjoy your year 13 one, it sounds like you will since your already looking forward to it.
Of course I'm not a person that can be effected by what a few people say about me or to me that easily, but sometimes it's slightly down-putting (if you know what I mean?). If I was to go to the people I don't like some people I'll either avoid/ignore them or just compliment them on their outfit. Also I don't have a boyfriend so I want really need to worry about what the boy wants to do, I have got some friends that are boy and they're ok, (like not b*****s like some). I have got a few close friends, but you know how people have groups they're with I'm not really with one at the moment (because of things and changes that have happened over the past year), So I don't want to be just there eating on my own, (gosh I sound like a lonely person)!

When I do look for dresses it gets annoying at times because I can't find the type of dress I want, and a decent price because no way am i spending hundreds on dresses and additional things on dresses like some people, it's not a huge event like a wedding that you spend loads on money on. That is another thing I have a very close wedding in July and I would rather spend the money on something like that with family and my close friends that I really like.

Thank you so much.

P.S the way you write is amazing, so detailed and realistic.
Reply 103
Original post by Biebers_Wifey
My prom won't even be that good. It's literally going to be and my friend busting moves on the dance-floor and stuffing our faces with food whilst everyone else stands around the edges awkwardly. Everyone in my school are either boring or high all the time...

That isn't even bad, because you'll be having fun. And you bust them moves, people will probably join you considering it's probably the last time you'll be together.
Original post by tangareen
Ohh I'm really sorry that it wasn't an exciting memorial experience for you, I hope you'll enjoy your year 13 one, it sounds like you will since your already looking forward to it.
Of course I'm not a person that can be effected by what a few people say about me or to me that easily, but sometimes it's slightly down-putting (if you know what I mean?). If I was to go to the people I don't like some people I'll either avoid/ignore them or just compliment them on their outfit. Also I don't have a boyfriend so I want really need to worry about what the boy wants to do, I have got some friends that are boy and they're ok, (like not b*****s like some). I have got a few close friends, but you know how people have groups they're with I'm not really with one at the moment (because of things and changes that have happened over the past year), So I don't want to be just there eating on my own, (gosh I sound like a lonely person)!

When I do look for dresses it gets annoying at times because I can't find the type of dress I want, and a decent price because no way am i spending hundreds on dresses and additional things on dresses like some people, it's not a huge event like a wedding that you spend loads on money on. That is another thing I have a very close wedding in July and I would rather spend the money on something like that with family and my close friends that I really like.

Thank you so much.

P.S the way you write is amazing, so detailed and realistic.

I think as long as you have one or two people there to at least talk to, you'll be fine, even if they're not very close friends.

As for the dress, I bought mine from a Thai lady at the market.11707527_738371472938889_1167792368copy737951675_n.jpgI've attached a picture. I'm not sure if you're interested in what it looked like or if this is your kind of thing, but I personally fell in love with it straight away. You really don't have to dish out a lot of money. I have a friend who spent £12 on her dress (granted, it was quite plain and from a charity shop), but it was something she liked, and she looked great. (Fun fact: my dad actually picked out my dress and my shoes.)

If part of you feels like you want to go, then I'd go for it, and make it a much better night than mine. My negative attitude probably brought most of the bad things on xD. Last piece of advice: if you go, be classy and lovely and show everyone that you're better than them :wink:

P.S.: Thank you :smile: I like writing, but I go off on too many tangents.
Original post by weeaboojess
Agh sorry I meant to put "No one wants to be friends with someone who has.." etc. I guess it is rude of them but they already have their own friends so I suppose they can't be bothered letting me into their friendship groups :/

Aw 😔yh and ugh I swear thats a girl thing we can literally be so horrible to each other. Girls in groups are just the worst imo they will literally treat their friendship group as some sort of military pact, excuse the stereotyping but I genuinely think that. Its best for you to try and be friends wiry someone who isn't in a group but I know must people are. :tongue:
I enjoyed Year 11 prom, as i had a close friendship group (girls and boys) and had a good time- didn't go to after-party and instead, we went to a friend's for a sleepover but we were all so tired so didn't do any too exciting apart from watching films and eating dessert.

I'm still friends with all of them except one but when sixth form came around, all of them left for different places so i was stuck at my sixth form (same place as where i went to secondary school) and oh my goodness did i hate it. Especially lower sixth- i had nothing in common with anyone in my year and was spending most of my time by myself and crying almost every night because i hate being lonely.
I was only lonely at school, as i had great friends outside of school and people in different years but i was too afraid to ask to hang out with them and felt like i was intruding into their groups. I don't have social anxiety, i love talking to new people but the fact that i've been at this school since year 7, everyone knows me and about my past etc etc
During Lower Sixth, i had a boyfriend who was in my year and spent most of my time with him and his mates.

I'm in Upper Sixth now (almost finished woo) and found it a lot easier as i was friends with lovely people from the year below but i have one good friend who retook the year so she is in the same year as me. Going back to the point of this chat, we will hopefully be spending leaver's ball together and try not to hate everyone too much. But at the end of the day, i've enjoyed sixth form but am looking forward to a new chapter (that being university). Sixth form only lasts for 2 years , it makes up a micro proportion of your school career and university will be one of the best times of your life, if you make it happen.

Sorry for ranting, but i'm just glad i am not the only person who felt like myself but i am very happy :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Exams are soon to be over and proms coming...

What is everyone doing for prom?

If your not going why not?
If you are that's great, have a good time.

Anyway I don't know if i should go to prom, I'm having mixed feelings.
One moment I don't want to go because I don't like certain people. But then its the last time with all these people the ones I like and those that i don't.

Is anyone feeling the same?

I'm stressed out because I don't like my dress anymore :frown: I can't change it aswell. How can you look nice even though your dress has no embellishment?
Im going, mum kinda made the decision for me when she spent £180 on a dress :s-smilie: sorta excited to dress up and spend the evening with my friends and boyfriend but have no idea how we're gonna get there from his house coz hes crap at making arrangements. dont worry, i went through a stage where i didnt like my dress but im sure its a nice dress and you look good in it
I decided not to go a few months ago and when I start to regret my decision I think of all the money I've saved and my regret magically disappears :tongue:
Ugh spent £300 on a dress so I have to go.......but I REALLLLLLLLY don't want to. Ugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One moment I don't want to go because I don't like certain people. But then its the last time with all these people the ones I like and those that i don't.

The prom. The prom. ****ing the.
I'm going. Why not enjoy myself for one night before I go on Holiday for practically the whole of Summer? I have my attire ready but I'm not going in some fancy vehicle, I'm not the guy who sells himself/herself out for attention. I'll just walk/take a bus/take a car there.

I'm in yr 13 but I've decided I'm not going to leaver's ball... I guess you have to work out if the pros outweigh the cons for you. Yeah, you might regret not going in the future, but if it's just going to make you unhappy, it's not worth it. Have you discussed it with the people you're still on good terms with? Maybe that will help?

If your friends understand and you decide not to go, you could always arrange to meet up a different time, like an alternative prom ahaha. Hope you make the right decision for you :h:
I'm going because I just want to experience it, you know? Riding in a limo with my pals for an hour or so will be a blast.
Not so looking forward to the actually prom as such, the food will suck and the music will be totally opposite to what I enjoy.
Though there are a few people I'm going to want to take photos with etc
BUT THEN THE AFTERPARTY MUAHAHAHAHA
Reply 115
im just going for the food

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Original post by nverjvlev
I'm in yr 13 but I've decided I'm not going to leaver's ball... I guess you have to work out if the pros outweigh the cons for you. Yeah, you might regret not going in the future, but if it's just going to make you unhappy, it's not worth it. Have you discussed it with the people you're still on good terms with? Maybe that will help?

If your friends understand and you decide not to go, you could always arrange to meet up a different time, like an alternative prom ahaha. Hope you make the right decision for you :h:

Aww yeah I have discussed it with them, and they really want me to go. But i'm still not feeling to go. I've only got a short time to decide now.

Thank you for your advice
Reply 117
Original post by luciie
I decided not to go a few months ago and when I start to regret my decision I think of all the money I've saved and my regret magically disappears :tongue:

I completely felt the opposite of that, I really wanted to go a few months back, but it's all changed now. The fact that got a really close wedding too, makes me think if i'll have enough money :tongue:
Reply 118
Original post by tilly5798
I enjoyed Year 11 prom, as i had a close friendship group (girls and boys) and had a good time- didn't go to after-party and instead, we went to a friend's for a sleepover but we were all so tired so didn't do any too exciting apart from watching films and eating dessert.

I'm still friends with all of them except one but when sixth form came around, all of them left for different places so i was stuck at my sixth form (same place as where i went to secondary school) and oh my goodness did i hate it. Especially lower sixth- i had nothing in common with anyone in my year and was spending most of my time by myself and crying almost every night because i hate being lonely.
I was only lonely at school, as i had great friends outside of school and people in different years but i was too afraid to ask to hang out with them and felt like i was intruding into their groups. I don't have social anxiety, i love talking to new people but the fact that i've been at this school since year 7, everyone knows me and about my past etc etc
During Lower Sixth, i had a boyfriend who was in my year and spent most of my time with him and his mates.

I'm in Upper Sixth now (almost finished woo) and found it a lot easier as i was friends with lovely people from the year below but i have one good friend who retook the year so she is in the same year as me. Going back to the point of this chat, we will hopefully be spending leaver's ball together and try not to hate everyone too much. But at the end of the day, i've enjoyed sixth form but am looking forward to a new chapter (that being university). Sixth form only lasts for 2 years , it makes up a micro proportion of your school career and university will be one of the best times of your life, if you make it happen.

Sorry for ranting, but i'm just glad i am not the only person who felt like myself but i am very happy :smile:

Oh my gosh I love the colours of your dress, it's not the length i would personally go for because I don't like my legs haha. But it looks really nice.
Sorry it's taken along time to get back to you.
I'm hopefully moving to another school, so I want really need to stay with some of the people in my year.
I'm still contemplating whether to go or not....

And its ok everyone has to let out how they feel every so often :tongue:

I'm defo going cos I know I will regret it but I get what you mean cos there's quite a few people I don't like.
But the last party I had with my year everyone came together and put aside their differences which was great, so i'm sure that will happen with your year group too cos everyone will just want to enjoy themselves right.

Quick Reply

Latest