The Student Room Group

Dropping a GCSE Subject

I am wanting to drop GCSE Music. I hate the subject, I hate the content and I hate my teacher.
I have spoken to the KS4 Progress Manager who says she is sorting it.

If it is approved, I was wondering whether I would be able to do an IGCSE when I am meant to have music; and whether the government would cover the cost of the course?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by tsh2001
I am wanting to drop GCSE Music. I hate the subject, I hate the content and I hate my teacher.

If it is approved, I was wondering whether I would be able to do an IGCSE when I am meant to have music; and whether the government would cover the cost of the course?

Thanks in advance!

I think you have to pay for all private courses, but be sure to check it out.
Reply 2
Original post by tsh2001

Thanks in advance!

What year group are you in? I moved schools in for year 11 and I changed my Textiles option into Art. This might be helpful. Everything depends on your school.
Reply 3
I am officially still in Year 10, but as of tomorrow, because our school changes year groups 3 weeks early, I will be a year 11.
Reply 4
Original post by tsh2001

I doubt it. An extra body in a Music class only costs the exam entry fee (about £30) whereas paying for a distance learning course (or even the just the IGCSE entry) is more expensive. The school would gain nothing from it as IGCSEs don't count for league tables.
Original post by Compost
I doubt it. An extra body in a Music class only costs the exam entry fee (about £30) whereas paying for a distance learning course (or even the just the IGCSE entry) is more expensive. The school would gain nothing from it as IGCSEs don't count for league tables.

yeah, i agree with you
Reply 6
Tbh if you wanted you could take any subject you want if you managed to convince the school that you could self teach it and that you want to be entered into the exams
Reply 7
UPDATE: I've been taken off the course and put on to an ECDL (European Computer Driving License) course. It's Level 2, so it's equivalent to a GCSE and is apparently a good qualification to have because it shows that you can use a computer effectively, and it's relatively easy!

Quick Reply

Latest