The Student Room Group

Could 16 year olds have swung the referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by James82
You forgot the category for that idiot from Manchester on the BBC News: 'I'm 18+ and voted leave, but wanted to remain'.

Yeah but 4% of people who voted remain wish they'd voted leave.

Incidentally that guy is an idiot but not for the reason that seems to be implied by many. Rather for thinking the way he voted made any difference.

It truly amazes me how many millions seems to think their vote matters.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
He has nothing on the 7% of UKIP voters that voted to remain

7% of 4 million .. 280,000 is it? Wowser wtf

Not sure where this stat comes from, but people change there minds, over the last year 7% of kippers changed their minds, doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Original post by moggis
Yeah but 4% of people who voted remain wish they'd voted leave.

Incidentally that guy is an idiot but not for the reason that seems to be implied by many. Rather for thinking the way he voted made any difference.

It truly amazes me how many millions seems to think their vote matters.

The ComRes poll suggests it's 1%.

You're right to say 1 vote wouldn't have made a difference on its own, but collectively those millions of votes you don't seem to think matter obviously do.
Original post by James82
Not sure where this stat comes from, but people change there minds, over the last year 7% of kippers changed their minds, doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Or they voted UKIP for other reasons

Original post by Betelgeuse-
He has nothing on the 7% of UKIP voters that voted to remain

7% of 4 million .. 280,000 is it? Wowser wtf

Why are you assuming 100% turnout
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by MarleyZ
There was a 1.2 million gap between remain and leave in the EU referendum results however there are 1.46 million 16 and 17 year olds in the UK.

Which way would you have voted? Do you think you could've made a difference?

Not everyone would've voted, and some would've voted leave; so that wouldn't swing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Or they voted UKIP for other reasons

Exactly, it's likely that some people voted UKIP in the GE as a protest to the main parties because they knew UKIP stood no chance in their constituency, but when it comes to an actual independence referendum had no intention of voting out of the EU.
Reply 66
Original post by James82
The ComRes poll suggests it's 1%.

You're right to say 1 vote wouldn't have made a difference on its own, but collectively those millions of votes you don't seem to think matter obviously do.

Well personally I don't think even millions of votes matter in this case since of course not a single one of us actually knows whether we are better off out or in.
What's depressing is The large majority of the people who chose 18+ and remain on the poll probably didn't even vote.

Smh, you guys suck. Now our country has voted itself into future recession.
Original post by lucabrasi98
What's depressing is The large majority of the people who chose 18+ and remain on the poll probably didn't even vote.

Recessions happen either way, Brown claimed to have ended boom bust, look how wrong he was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moggis
Well personally I don't think even millions of votes matter in this case since of course not a single one of us actually knows whether we are better off out or in.

Economically you are right, but in terms of sovereignty and democracy I know we are better off out.
Original post by lucabrasi98

It's a flawed poll, it doesn't include 'I'm 18+ a didn't vote' which would be a huge number of people
I was pro remain, but I mean now that we're past all the bad parts theres no point of going back. The first couple of days were the worst part.

The people rebelling and fighting is causing uncertainty. Ultimately we made a descision, and not leaving wont change the way they see us. If anything itll make things worse. Right now everyone is looking at us to see if we're going to fail, and all this is making it look like it.

Nationalism is a strong force. People will get off their arses to work if they know its finally out the EU.

We have to prove them wrong. Theres no going back now. Going back will cause a lot of people to loose faith in the UK, and emphasize on the idea that our votes dont matter for ****. If scotland wants to leave, so be it, I'd rather they stay and see this through to see if we're better off before making any harsh descisions, because Im sure their ability to leave will get them a lot more power in the goverment. If they join the EU its back to no one giving a ****. They have that card now, better play it. Its ultimately up to them. Growth instead of stagnation is really what they need.

The effects this is going to have is quite big. Its kind of similar to how recessions happen. People are told a recession might be coming soon so they start saving all their income incase they loose their jobs, which results in businesses loosing money and sacking people as no one is buying, and ultimately resulting in the person loosing their job. If you say we're going to fail, we will fail.

This was a gamble. We could've stayed safe in the EU, or gambled the chance of growth. We've put our chips on the table. Taking them back will loose confidence from both sides, and will leave us in a group of countries who know that more than 50% of us dont want them.

PS: Turns out the leave's soverignty argument was true. They've begun discussions of a european army now that the UK is no longer there to be against them becoming a soverign state
In my school 88% voted remain! I think it's unfair that we don't get a say when it affects our future, I know someone who's 18th is this July and so can't vote.
I don't have much of an issue with the people who voted leave because they actually have a valid reason to do with the economy or whatever, my problem is the growing racists in this country who voted leave because they thought that means non white people get kicked out. My friend from Africa got asked if she was leaving the country now (!) How stupid can people get!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending