The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Which uni residence in Cardiff ?

hello, I'm going to study at Cardiff Uni this year as an erasmus student and I really don't know which residence to choose first ! I was thinking of senghennyd court, then column hall and then Talybont court. The thing is I'm reading everywhere that talybont residences (north and south) have the best social atmosphere but I found them really far from the campus and walking for 30 min after a night doesn't excite me a lot ! Besides, the rooms look really small.
But then, I don't hear a lot about senghennyd and column hall and I'm afraid to be bored there...
That's why I need some advice ! Thank you !
I lived and studied in Cardiff for 4 years (Bachelor & Postgraduate). Talybont is ok (provided you love silverfish!), I lived in South, North is known to be a bit of a ghetto.

My recommendation is a private accommodation called Cambrian Point* - lived there for two years, the prices were fair, you're dealing with a company (so no landlord related headaches) and it's five minutes walk from the optometry building. Also, it's surrounded by a huge wall and security gate. Check it out!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
thank you but I checked the prices and I can't afford them !
Reply 3
Original post by narifr
thank you but I checked the prices and I can't afford them !

Try going to Cardiff Uni website and looking at each accomodation. Theres also a video tour om youtube (mostly Talybont). I decided to hoose Seghennyd Court (can't spell it lol) as my first choice, and then chose the others at random (since firm applicant must choose at least 10 and I'm not really picky and just hoping I'll end up with decent flatmates).
Ok as a soon to be second year here's everything I know about accommodation at Cardiff Uni. Talybont South - Party central, if you like peace at any point (especially during exams) avoid this place, however if you love street parties then this is the place to be! The biggest issue is it's pretty far from campus compared to some of the other choices (~20-30 min walk)Taly Gate - the posh 'boring' placeTaly Court - Not quite the poshest but close, pretty swanky looking place but fairly quiet overall compared to South, it's also the closest to the city centre of the taly complex.
Taly North - considered the worst of all of the accommodations.
Senghenydd Court - Nicknames Senghetto (it's where I stayed) it's 5 minutes from the city center, cheap but small. Great place to live if you're doing any STEM subject.
Senghenydd Hall - don't really know much about this one as they kind of kept to themselves, seemed fairly quiet and it's literally next to Senghenydd Court.
Gordon Hall - pretty much the same of Senghenydd Hall but fairly decent rooms from what I'm told, plenty of parties too.

All the other places are somewhere in between these (literally), however the ones listed above are among the most popular.
I stayed in Talybont North for my first year. It really, really isn't as bad as people make out. The social aspect of things is great. Once you find people to walk to class with from Taly the walk will take you 20 minutes and it gives you a good chance to talk to people! It also means that you'll utilise all of the time you have in uni instead of popping home for dinner and not going back for afternoon classes.

I had a standard sized room and whilst I found it small, you really don't need a tonne of space. The smaller rooms I found to be very claustrophobic but they're slowly renovating Taly North and the facilities are getting better.

I would THOROUGHLY suggest getting en suite accommodation no matter where you go. I studied Bioscience and found that the walk really wasn't that bad. Also if you can get a bike it's only about a 7 minute journey. Lots and lots of cycle paths to uni and town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending