The Student Room Group

Who's Already a Banker?

Investment banking has got to be the most popular job I see people talk about on TSR. Question is: how popular is it as an actual job? Most people on TSR are speculating and claim they want to be an investment banker in the future, meaning they're still in Uni or Sixth-Form. Furthermore, there are heaps and heaps of international students that come to this country specifically to get into the banking sector which suggests the pool of applicants must be HUGE.

With all that being said, how do expectations match reality? Have many of you TSRians actually completed the journey and have now become an Investment Banker? What was your journey like? Also how fierce was the competition?

I have recently secured a position in a similar industry and no, the application stage was not easy and I don't even have a degree related to finance... lol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Investment banking has got to be the most popular job I see people talk about on TSR. Question is: how popular is it as an actual job? Most people on TSR are speculating and claim they want to be an investment banker in the future, meaning they're still in Uni or Sixth-Form. Furthermore, there are heaps and heaps of international students that come to this country specifically to get into the banking sector which suggests the pool of applicants must be HUGE.

With all that being said, how do expectations match reality? Have many of you TSRians actually completed the journey and have now become an Investment Banker? What was your journey like? Also how fierce was the competition?

I have recently secured a position in a similar industry and no, the application stage was not easy and I don't even have a degree related to finance... lol

There used to be an active lot on here circa 2009-2011, but they've all moved on since.

Journey is standard for most people, first year spring insight programme -> summer internship second year --> grad offer.

There's variations of this:
- Not everyone is aware of spring insights and only gun for summer internships
- Some take a detour through Big4 accounting first
- Some get a masters in finance to get access to recruiting from a more targeted uni
- Some only find out later on after a few years in industry then go back to uni to get an MBA

Competition is tough, indeed, but not all applications are equal and a good bulk of applicants get cut at the CV/testing stage because of uni brand, spelling/grammar errors, etc..

The only people around nowadays are incoming interns and the occasional analyst (if you scroll down there were AMAs done by a few). Suffice to say, not many full-timers frequent here - most are on wall street oasis.

The consensus from friends is the analyst years are a complete grind which you'll only get through if you're actually vested in the work and not just the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Used to be one. Was ****, wouldn't recommend it. Unless you really really love it (few do) or you require it as a stepping stone for something else (buy-side). Helps to be cynical.
Original post by KLL
Used to be one. Was ****, wouldn't recommend it. Unless you really really love it (few do) or you require it as a stepping stone for something else (buy-side). Helps to be cynical.

what was so bad about it?
Reply 4
Original post by splashywill
what was so bad about it?

Lifestyle's fairly ghastly. Basically throwig away the best years of your life just to be forced into an early midlife crisis when you hit 30 and realize you haven't had a proper holdiay since uni.
Though, if you don't mind (plenty of people don't mind postponing starting a family to their 40s), that's fine. Other's don't wanna deal with that **** and bail early.
Original post by KLL
Lifestyle's fairly ghastly. Basically throwig away the best years of your life just to be forced into an early midlife crisis when you hit 30 and realize you haven't had a proper holdiay since uni.
Though, if you don't mind (plenty of people don't mind postponing starting a family to their 40s), that's fine. Other's don't wanna deal with that **** and bail early.

Would this be the same across all firms like barclays and rbs? Or just at the very best like GS or jp morgans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Would this be the same across all firms like barclays and rbs? Or just at the very best like GS or jp morgans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Varies between groups within firms and between firms, some have better working cultures than others. Whilst some groups in IBD just continually crush everyone. But at the end of the day, you'll be working hard in any company.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword

Posted from TSR Mobile

Banking generally very hard and tough. Long working hours and hard work. You get money but is money really worth that. Read some of the things bankers have said on other forums...
Original post by Princepieman
Varies between groups within firms and between firms, some have better working cultures than others. Whilst some groups in IBD just continually crush everyone. But at the end of the day, you'll be working hard in any company.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might work hard in other companies but some companies just treat you badly in terms of the hard work and working hours. Like a shop near me has workers working for 12+ hours and doing hard work.
I would say lawyer was the most popular job on TSR, but it has a wider scope. The medics and the bankers are the most focused groups. There are alos a lot of queries about IB by people who have done little research and are motivated purely by what they see as easy money.
Original post by Teleport1
You might work hard in other companies but some companies just treat you badly in terms of the hard work and working hours. Like a shop near me has workers working for 12+ hours and doing hard work.

Yeah. I spoke to a construction worker who did 60-70 hour weeks on his feet when I used to work in phones - really eye opening how hard some people get pushed. I've heard some horror stories from friends of groups where if you work less than 12 hours a day you get a warning from your superior... That's probably why it's so important to not go into this stuff just for money and to really look for a group where you git culturally.
Original post by 999tigger
I would say lawyer was the most popular job on TSR, but it has a wider scope. The medics and the bankers are the most focused groups. There are alos a lot of queries about IB by people who have done little research and are motivated purely by what they see as easy money.

Not to mention the egomaniacs that lash out on this forum in particular every couple of days, haven't seen this happen on the law or med sub-forum at least not in this frequency.

Always thought the med people where the most visible on TSR? At least there's a communtiy of current docs vs not a lot of current bankers on here.
Not to mention the egomaniacs that lash out on this forum in particular every couple of days, haven't seen this happen on the law or med sub-forum at least not in this frequency.

Always thought the med people where the most visible on TSR? At least there's a communtiy of current docs vs not a lot of current bankers on here.

From my observation the bankers are less visible but a definite grouping.
Other groups I've seen are vets, teachers, engineers and nurses.

Where is studos?
Original post by 999tigger
From my observation the bankers are less visible but a definite grouping.
Other groups I've seen are vets, teachers, engineers and nurses.

Where is studos?

It seems that way, yeah. Most people here congregate around the insight programme/internship/grad cycle threads then disappear after landing their offers. The rest of the content is the same old: what uni should I choose? What course is better? stuff.

Yep, seen quite a few of those around too *It's interesting how concentrated career sections are on this site.*

(I may have banned him)**
It seems that way, yeah. Most people here congregate around the insight programme/internship/grad cycle threads then disappear after landing their offers. The rest of the content is the same old: what uni should I choose? What course is better? stuff.

Yep, seen quite a few of those around too *It's interesting how concentrated career sections are on this site.*

(I may have banned him)**

Nah it was probably me that got him banned. I've reported him over 10 times lol
Original post by Trapz99
Nah it was probably me that got him banned. I've reported him over 10 times lol

Which was why I banned him lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't go into IB, it's ****

All of sell side is ****
Original post by MnWhCntBMvd
I wouldn't go into IB, it's ****

All of sell side is ****

Eh. Depends on the person.

Some prefer the fast paced nature of sell side, some prefer the greater responsibility that comes with being a principal on the buyside.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eh. Depends on the person.

Some prefer the fast paced nature of sell side, some prefer the greater responsibility that comes with being a principal on the buyside.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol fast paced nature - what does that translate to as a sell side analyst - hours and hours spent generating reports that peoppe literally throw in the bin?
Original post by MnWhCntBMvd
Lol fast paced nature - what does that translate to as a sell side analyst - hours and hours spent generating reports that peoppe literally throw in the bin?

Not just about reports. They'd need to maintain relationships. Most of the buy side use sell side analysts for corporate access and information, this translates into a fair amount of wining and dining to maintain that trust

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending