The Student Room Group

Applied for student finance late

So I've been stupid and missed the deadline for student fiance England's loan applications. I've just applied today and I'm worried if my loan will even come. It says- 'It'll take at least 6 weeks to assess your application' is this true even though I applied late? I have only applied for the base maintenance loan as I've got enough money to support myself there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cyberpunk3
So I've been stupid and missed the deadline for student fiance England's loan applications. I've just applied today and I'm worried if my loan will even come. It says- 'It'll take at least 6 weeks to assess your application' is this true even though I applied late? I have only applied for the base maintenance loan as I've got enough money to support myself there.

It will come but I'll probably be a few days/weeks after you've started your course
Reply 2
Original post by goam
It will come but I'll probably be a few days/weeks after you've started your course

I've only applied for the base maintenance loan amount as on my gap year I earn't enough money to support myself at uni. What should I do if it comes late?
Reply 3
I've only applied for the base maintenance loan amount as on my gap year I earn't enough money to support myself at uni. What should I do if it comes late?

hm I'm sure your Uni would help you out somehow if you do struggle- perhaps through a hardship loan or something? I'm not really sure tbh but I suggest asking your Uni about it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by goam
hm I'm sure your Uni would help you out somehow if you do struggle- perhaps through a hardship loan or something? I'm not really sure tbh but I suggest asking your Uni about it :smile:

Okay well It says 6 weeks and I'm not sending my parents info as I know I wont get any grants with what they earn. Ill ask the uni then.
Reply 5
Okay well It says 6 weeks and I'm not sending my parents info as I know I wont get any grants with what they earn. Ill ask the uni then.

Good luck, hope it works out!
Reply 6

You are unlikely to get a hardship loan unless you have the maximum maintenance loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:frown: I haven't handed in the letter yet. ****.
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
You are unlikely to get a hardship loan unless you have the maximum maintenance loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have enough money to support myself if I dont get the maintenance loan on time its the tution fees loan im worried about.
Reply 9
I have enough money to support myself if I dont get the maintenance loan on time its the tution fees loan im worried about.

Ah the uni will probably be ok with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Ah the uni will probably be ok with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would they be okay with the Tuition loan being late?
Reply 11
Would they be okay with the Tuition loan being late?

Yes. Just tell them what's happening when you get to uni. It's not unusual...

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as you show them that you've applied and been accepted, they should be ok with your fees being late.
Reply 13
Original post by Tiger Rag
As long as you show them that you've applied and been accepted, they should be ok with your fees being late.

What do you mean accepted? My application that I just submitted?
What do you mean accepted? My application that I just submitted?

No. You should get a letter stating how much finance you're getting. Your uni needs that letter.
Reply 15
It's 6 weeks if they have everything they need. It can take months to sort out if they decide they need more evidence. But you will get the loan eventually, it may not be in September/October when you start your course, but you should get it by new years for sure.

If they don't end up needing more evidence you should be able to get it before the course starts.

I've been told that the department processing the information has 20 working days (4weeks) to process the application. They give the extra 2 weeks for post and such.

So I recommend checking online every few days. And after it has been 4 weeks, give them a call and check the progress if there's nothing new online.
Reply 16
Original post by Tiger Rag
No. You should get a letter stating how much finance you're getting. Your uni needs that letter.

Physical letter? Right well do I get it very quickly or when my application is accepted and processed?
Reply 17
Physical letter? Right well do I get it very quickly or when my application is accepted and processed?

Just relax. It's July. You dont start university until September.

The universities are used to some students being late...

It's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Yeah no lie I've been panicking about this. I just dont want to get thrown out before I even go to uni spent long enough on a gap year :smile:
Reply 19
Yeah no lie I've been panicking about this. I just dont want to get thrown out before I even go to uni spent long enough on a gap year :smile:

You won't. Enjoy the rest of your gap year. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending