The Student Room Group

Is film studies a waste of time?

I'm doing psychology, English literature and Spanish next year and I want to do film studies but it has such a bad reputation even though it sounds interesting.
I think I want to do a degree involving English, creative writing or film/script-writing. I'm really interested in screenplays and writing for tv.
Is it a waste of time?
Original post by perspectives
I'm doing psychology, English literature and Spanish next year and I want to do film studies but it has such a bad reputation even though it sounds interesting.
I think I want to do a degree involving English, creative writing or film/script-writing. I'm really interested in screenplays and writing for tv.
Is it a waste of time?[/QUO
Film studies is great!!!! It's really intreating and you learn lot. I'm taking it for GCSE's and it;s brilliant. I would defiantly recommend going for it
[QUOTE="Animieangel;66243435"]
Is it a waste of time?[/QUO
Film studies is great!!!! It's really intreating and you learn lot. I'm taking it for GCSE's and it;s brilliant. I would defiantly recommend going for it

Oh that's good! Do you know how it's viewed by universities?
You'd be better off with taking something like maths as that will open more doors for you, but if you enjoy film studies and feel you will do well in it at A-level then go for it.
Film studies is typically viewed as a 'soft subject' stereotypically taken by those who don't have the intellect to deal with 'proper A levels.' Your other A levels look fine, I wouldn't take film studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katiee224
You'd be better off with taking something like maths as that will open more doors for you, but if you enjoy film studies and feel you will do well in it at A-level then go for it.

Considering that OP wants to go into an English-based career, Maths won't be particularly helpful.

Stick with film studies, OP, because it may be helpful for your career aspirations. Honestly, OP, I think your option choices are perfect. You have two essay-based facilitating subjects which will help you get into top universities, film studies which will certainly help you get into script writing or whatever else you want to do, and Psychology which will help you write realistic characters.

Good job.
Is it a waste of time?

You don't need to study screenwriting/ film studies to write for TV. I would advise going to the best uni possible to study a decent subject and using their careers department to make contacts in the media. You can also get involved in student media to build up experience. That way you don't pigeon hole yourself and you have a backup. I know a fair few people high up in the media and non of them studied it at university.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Considering that OP wants to go into an English-based career, Maths won't be particularly helpful.

Stick with film studies, OP, because it may be helpful for your career aspirations. Honestly, OP, I think your option choices are perfect. You have two essay-based facilitating subjects which will help you get into top universities, film studies which will certainly help you get into script writing or whatever else you want to do, and Psychology which will help you write realistic characters.

Good job.

Those who study maths a-level earn on average 10% more throughout their career, it would show employers you are capable of problem solving and would be more useful then film studies. I know it isn't English based but it is far more versatile than film studies and would be more valued by universities than film studies, even for an English degree. Given OP has two English based A-levels already, a STEM subject would show a good level of diversification on a UCAS form, In my opinion.
Do film studies!! Please ignore people that say it's a "soft subject" because most uni's don't really look at the subject you do! I'm doing photography, CW, and philosophy and Iv had offers from Kent, Cardiff and Bristol! Honestly, it's about your grades. Unless you're looking at Oxbridge, do what makes you happy!
I know what you mean but really maths is not an option for me. I'm good (ish) at it now I just really wouldn't want to continue it for two years especially after struggling through further maths GCSE which has a level type questions in.
Original post by Katiee224
Those who study maths a-level earn on average 10% more throughout their career, it would show employers you are capable of problem solving and would be more useful then film studies. I know it isn't English based but it is far more versatile than film studies and would be more valued by universities than film studies, even for an English degree. Given OP has two English based A-levels already, a STEM subject would show a good level of diversification on a UCAS form, In my opinion.

People who study A-level Maths earn more because they tend to go into STEM fields, which pay more. You know that. OP doesn't want to go into a STEM field though. A non-STEM employer won't say 'Oh, I see you have A-level Maths! I'm going to pay you more!'

Consider that OP wants to write scripts/plays/whatever. OP will be working, potentially, with the film industry. Film Studies will directly benefit OP. Maths will not.

TSR needs to divorce itself from the belief that Maths is some God-Tier A-level that is useful in all circumstances. It's not.

It's like spices, salt and pepper. They're fantastic things, and they make any meal better, but I don't want them on my ice cream.
Is it a waste of time?

Never heard of this subject, seriously it would be good if you did another A level. In your spare time you could write about films reviews etc, create a portfolio for your employer
Reply 12
Is it a waste of time?

I read an article on this, if I can find it I'll help you but I showed through research that an A* in Film Studies was equal to a D in physics... So yeah, it's probably one of the softest subjects you can take however, it goes very well with English lit plus you're doing it as a 4th so it won't hinder your application for to uni so it's all good!

Good luck!
People who study A-level Maths earn more because they tend to go into STEM fields, which pay more. You know that. OP doesn't want to go into a STEM field though. A non-STEM employer won't say 'Oh, I see you have A-level Maths! I'm going to pay you more!'

Consider that OP wants to write scripts/plays/whatever. OP will be working, potentially, with the film industry. Film Studies will directly benefit OP. Maths will not.

TSR needs to divorce itself from the belief that Maths is some God-Tier A-level that is useful in all circumstances. It's not.

It's like spices, salt and pepper. They're fantastic things, and they make any meal better, but I don't want them on my ice cream.

Maths is useful in all circumstances as long as OP has the other subjects he needs, if OP changes his mind then maths will be there to open more doors. Anyways english lit with maths and spanish is a very good combo
Original post by SuperHuman98
Maths is useful in all circumstances as long as OP has the other subjects he needs, if OP changes his mind then maths will be there to open more doors. Anyways english lit with maths and spanish is a very good combo

Maths, on its own without any science subjects, will not open more doors than Film Studies. I might even be inclined to say that Film Studies will open more doors than Maths on its own.

I would agree that Maths is a better A-level than Film Studies when you don't have a specific profession in mind that you want to go into. However, OP has made it clear that he wants to go into script writing/film writing/creative writing. Which A-level will be better suited for that: Maths or Film Studies?

Besides, OP has already expressed that he will not enjoy A-level Maths, and will not excel in it.

Not sure why you think Lit, Spanish, and Maths is a 'very good combo'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Maths, on its own without any science subjects, will not open more doors than Film Studies. I might even be inclined to say that Film Studies will open more doors than Maths on its own.

I would agree that Maths is a better A-level than Film Studies when you don't have a specific profession in mind that you want to go into. However, OP has made it clear that he wants to go into script writing/film/writing/creative/writing. Which A-level will be better suited for that: Maths or Film Studies?

Besides, OP has already expressed that he will not enjoy A-level Maths, and will not excel in it.

Not sure why you think Lit, Spanish, and Maths is a 'very good combo'.

I meant impressive, as in those subjects are all valued. Anyways for stuff like script writing isn't having you own work to build a portfolio more important than the degree?
Is it a waste of time?

First of all best of luck with eng lit and psycho (its hard), secondly if you are genuinely interested in a topic than go for it. I regret picking a levels physics, I only picked it as it was respected and all of my friends were doing it which was really silly.

Preach. I'd have your comment framed on my wall and on the walls of all my maths studying mates :wink: It was compulsory for my course and to be honest out of all the things I ever learned in maths, basic arithmetic, some rearranging equations and C= Cmax*e^-kt are the only things I've used in my degree.

This inherent snobbery that maths is some sort of panacea to all problems future career wise related is just daft and frankly I think people need to realise there's more to life than being conformist. Do what makes you happy, not some course that makes you miserable because some admissions person somewhere said maths looks better. If so, go elsewhere!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest